Canadian PM Stephen Harper Slams Putin

Toro

Diamond Member
Sep 29, 2005
Surfing the Oceans of Liquidity
Rightfully

The world is saddened and rightfully outraged by images of the charred remnants of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17, and by the loss of almost 300 people from 11 countries, strewn across fields in eastern Ukraine. While the grim work of identifying victims’ remains and tracking down the perpetrators of this appalling crime is just beginning, the world can be certain of one thing: There can be no weakening of our resolve to punish the Putin regime for threatening the peace and security of eastern and central Europe.

Although we may refer to militants in eastern Ukraine as “pro-Russian separatists,” we are not confused by who, and what, they really are: an extension of the Russian state. They derive their material, political and logistical support from the Putin regime, and their criminal aggression and recklessness reflect the values of their Russian benefactors. ...

Russia’s aggressive militarism and expansionism are a threat to more than just Ukraine; they are a threat to Europe, to the rule of law and to the values that bind Western nations. Canada will not stand idly by in the face of this threat. ...

It is also why, last spring, G7 leaders decided to suspend preparations for the 2014 G8 Summit scheduled to take place in Sochi and convened instead as the G7 in Brussels. Through its actions, Russia under President Vladimir Putin has demonstrated that it does not share the values of this community of nations, dedicated as we are to democracy, international security, and the rule of law. Given this, it is difficult to foresee any circumstance under which Mr. Putin’s Russia could be readmitted to the family of G7 nations. ...

Mr. Putin claims to abide by notions of stability, the rule of law and the peaceful settlement of international disputes, and yet we have seen reports this week of more Russian troops being moved to the border with Ukraine, while weapons and other supplies continue to flow freely over the border with his approval. It is time Mr. Putin matched his words with actions. He must reverse his course in Ukraine. He must withdraw his troops from the Ukrainian border, stop the flow of weapons and militants into Ukraine, and use his influence to persuade the militants, currently operating with the support of his regime, to lay down their weapons and cease the violence. He must also work to ensure that those investigating the shooting down of MH17 are not impeded in any way in their efforts to uncover the truth behind the deliberate or reckless targeting of innocent civilians.

The choice is Mr. Putin’s. He can take these actions to recommit Russia to peace, democracy, and the rule of law or he can persist with the politics of intimidation and aggression, in which case Canada – and its allies – must take further, more punitive steps to isolate Russia from the rest of the world’s democratic states. The values and principles we cherish as Canadians, and for which so many generations have fought and died, demand it.

Our duty is to stand firm in the face of Russian aggression - The Globe and Mail

The crisis arose, after all, because a majority of Ukrainians strongly desired EU membership and the higher living standards and free movement that come with it. In 2013, Ukraine’s pro-Russian President Viktor Yanukovych, who had been fairly elected in 2010 but had subsequently demolished democratic institutions and jailed opposition leaders, went one step too far when he cancelled a trade pact with the EU, under pressure from Mr. Putin, destroying any chance of a potential pathway to EU membership. This triggered a mass movement to overthrow him and restore the treaty, and led to his ouster by his own parliament.

Putin's war of ideas cuts to the heart of Europe - The Globe and Mail

Good for Prime Minister Harper in slamming Putin. He rightfully deserves it. His record on human and civil rights is atrocious. He is actively showing the world that he is not the type of leader all of the people in his country deserve to have. Just look at what is happening to the rights of GLBT citizens in his own country. It is despicable and outrageous!

JURIST - UN urges Russia to repeal law banning 'homosexual propaganda'

Russian Neo-Nazis Using Social Media To Find And Torture LGBT Teens | Truth Wins Out

Moldava U.N. rights office rejects anti-gay laws of Russia, Moldova | 76 CRIMES

Opinion: Russia, scrap your anti-gay laws - CNN.com

No Olympics in Anti-Gay Countries, Reads IOC?s Principle 6 :: EDGE on the Net

The crisis arose, after all, because a majority of Ukrainians strongly desired EU membership and the higher living standards and free movement that come with it. In 2013, Ukraine’s pro-Russian President Viktor Yanukovych, who had been fairly elected in 2010 but had subsequently demolished democratic institutions and jailed opposition leaders, went one step too far when he cancelled a trade pact with the EU, under pressure from Mr. Putin, destroying any chance of a potential pathway to EU membership. This triggered a mass movement to overthrow him and restore the treaty, and led to his ouster by his own parliament.

and the western powers stayed completely out of the fray thus allowing the Ukrainians to resolve this crisis without outside intervention as agreed to in the Budapest Memorandum ??

Not.

Putin is ex-KGB, and a vet of the Cold War. I believe he wants the empire back and the Ukraine is his goal. The world condemned his actions, and he threatened the Gas lines in response. Made a deal with China and others to ditch the dollar and push pipe lines that way.

He wants Ukraine but does it by financing and arming the rebels. The downed airline was part of that and the world knows it.

Ukraine isn't under treaty with Nato as Poland does. So he's testing the waters. This test ended in an airliner getting shot down via a Russian weapon.

and the western powers stayed completely out of the fray thus allowing the Ukrainians to resolve this crisis without outside intervention as agreed to in the Budapest Memorandum ??

Not.

Explaining why American troops are on the border and American special ops are operating inside Ukraine.

Putin is ex-KGB, and a vet of the Cold War. I believe he wants the empire back and the Ukraine is his goal. The world condemned his actions, and he threatened the Gas lines in response. Made a deal with China and others to ditch the dollar and push pipe lines that way.

He wants Ukraine but does it by financing and arming the rebels. The downed airline was part of that and the world knows it.

Ukraine isn't under treaty with Nato as Poland does. So he's testing the waters. This test ended in an airliner getting shot down via a Russian weapon.

It's nice to see Obama working so closely with the neocons. I can remember way back when they were considered to be worse than Putin.

It's nice to see Obama working so closely with the neocons. I can remember way back when they were considered to be worse than Putin.

I don't agree with Putin and never did. He's still a real leader instead of the idiot we now have though. That is a comparison by the way. And too many take that to the Strawman arguments of these boards.

I don't agree with Putin and never did. He's still a real leader instead of the idiot we now have though. That is a comparison by the way. And too many take that to the Strawman arguments of these boards.

Putin is a leader? I suppose you would consider Hitler, Stalin and Mussolini leaders too. It doesn't take a genius to understand what Putin is and what he hopes to accomplish. He's a dirt bag who considers human beings as a commodity; he's no different than the 'leaders' of AQ or Hamas; Putin sees people as tokens to be used in his quest for power.

What would you do, dilloduck, if you were POTUS?

What would you do, eagle1462010, if you were POTUS?

Last edited:

Putin is a leader? I suppose you would consider Hitler, Stalin and Mussolini leaders too. It doesn't take a genius to understand what Putin is and what he hopes to accomplish. He's a dirt bag who considers human beings as a commodity; he's no different than the 'leaders' of AQ or Hamas; Putin sees people as tokens to be used in his quest for power.

We'll just disagree. I'm ready to compare him to Hitler. Not yet.........

Peace through strength and economic actions to Russia, as no one in their right mind would want a conflict with Russia. That would be insane. We can only do as we did in the Cold War. Support the opposing side with arms and economic aid........

The cold War was fought across the globe in other countries using our weapons. Not in direct conflict, and this is the beginning of a new one. Perhaps it is time for the EU to make a stand in it's back yard and let them deal with it. We should be willing to back up that stand and make them understand we have their back.

Poland would be a game changer as we are in a Treaty with them, and we have an obligation to Poland should Putin try BS there.

One question for ya..............

Should we have added Ukraine to NATO.....................

And if they were NATO would and should we Honor that agreement and send in forces for their protection...................

Putin is a leader? I suppose you would consider Hitler, Stalin and Mussolini leaders too. It doesn't take a genius to understand what Putin is and what he hopes to accomplish. He's a dirt bag who considers human beings as a commodity; no different than AQ or Hamas; Putin sees people as tokens to be used in his quest for power.

I'm not claiming to know answers or making judgements. I just get a little bothered when the propaganda wagon gets on a roll and we lose sight of the truth.

We'll just disagree. I'm ready to compare him to Hitler. Not yet.........

Peace through strength and economic actions to Russia, as no one in their right mind would want a conflict with Russia. That would be insane. We can only do as we did in the Cold War. Support the opposing side with arms and economic aid........

The cold War was fought across the globe in other countries using our weapons. Not in direct conflict, and this is the beginning of a new one. Perhaps it is time for the EU to make a stand in it's back yard and let them deal with it. We should be willing to back up that stand and make them understand we have their back.

Poland would be a game changer as we are in a Treaty with them, and we have an obligation to Poland should Putin try BS there.

A thoughtful response, I can't disagree.

Forum List

Back