Can someone explain what has happened to the GOP?

Mac1958

Diamond Member
Dec 8, 2011
Opposing Authoritarian Ideological Fundamentalism.
And maybe explain it without the standard hyperbole and partisan BS. Just some honest, solid analysis. Or maybe provide a link to a piece that someone has written that calmly and reasonably explains it.

I think this "Fox News is the enemy" thing is the final straw with me. I'm now completely lost, and I feel like Sandra Bullock in Gravity, floating away from reality with no way to get back.

To wit:
  • The aforementioned darling news network is, overnight, the target of at least as much derision as MSNBC
  • A bombastic New Yorker who is clearly not a conservative is running away with the nomination
  • That same candidate can literally say the most ridiculous things and it only makes his support stronger
  • Suddenly, nationalism & populism clearly have more energy in the party than "conservative values"
  • A nihilistic, "I don't care, just blow the whole thing up" attitude seems to completely permeate the party
  • The slightest nod toward legislative cooperation is simply no longer allowed in public discourse
  • The Establishment, whatever that is, appears to be more hated than any Democrat
It's like half the party has just snapped.

Exactly what is the goal here? And does anyone care if this inter-party schism is healed?

Apparently you are as out of touch as the media and the government is. Here you go, what you asked for:

The majority of the people are FED UP with the government and the media. Trump is telling people what they want to hear and I see no reason why he will not try very hard to deliver. The republicans are a corrupt entity just like the democrats

People looked to the GOP, to push back 11,000,000 Illegal Aliens... and it failed to do so.

People looked to the GOP to stop the wars that it started... and it failed to do so.

People looked to the GOP to stop the hemorrhaging of jobs overseas... and it failed to do so.

People looked to the GOP to turn around the economy it wrecked... and it failed to do so.

People looked to the GOP to make trickle-down economics work... and it failed to do so.

People looked to the GOP to rescue the Middle Class... and it failed to do so.

People looked to the GOP to stop the Obama Social Reengineering juggernaut... and it failed to do so.

People looked to the GOP to provide equitable tax reform for all... and it failed to do so.

People looked to the GOP to streamline the government... and it failed to do so.

People have come to the conclusion that Republican leadership is almost as full of shit as Democratic leadership.

But, there's really no point in trying to launch a Third Party, the way things are now.

So.. the Pubs find themselves with a Populist Rebellion on their hands...

People are shoving aside the existing (Establishment) party leadership, gutting the party, and making it their own, as it once was, back when it deserved the name G(rand) O(ld) P(arty), before the Corporatists hijacked it in the early 20th Century...

And, of course, the party Ruling Elites don't know whether to shit or go blind or wind their watches... they don't have a clue how to get out of the dog-house with their rank-and-file...

In the long run, a turn towards Populism is probably a good thing... it's actually quite unwise, to allow the Swells to get too comfortable in their roles...

This is, after all, supposed to be a government OF the People, BY the People, and FOR the People...

Consider the present Populist Rebellion to be a long-overdue Market Correction...
wink_smile.gif

Last edited:
The majority of the people are FED UP with the government and the media.

It that's the case, why do the incumbents in congress keep getting re-elected? Something like 94%.

You know, with everybody being pissed off at them.

And maybe explain it without the standard hyperbole and partisan BS. Just some honest, solid analysis. Or maybe provide a link to a piece that someone has written that calmly and reasonably explains it.

I think this "Fox News is the enemy" thing is the final straw with me. I'm now completely lost, and I feel like Sandra Bullock in Gravity, floating away from reality with no way to get back.

To wit:
  • The aforementioned darling news network is, overnight, the target of at least as much derision as MSNBC
  • A bombastic New Yorker who is clearly not a conservative is running away with the nomination
  • That same candidate can literally say the most ridiculous things and it only makes his support stronger
  • Suddenly, nationalism & populism clearly have more energy in the party than "conservative values"
  • A nihilistic, "I don't care, just blow the whole thing up" attitude seems to completely permeate the party
  • The slightest nod toward legislative cooperation is simply no longer allowed in public discourse
  • The Establishment, whatever that is, appears to be more hated than any Democrat
It's like half the party has just snapped.

Exactly what is the goal here? And does anyone care if this inter-party schism is healed?

Conservative Ideology AND the Republican Party are means to an end, the interests of the Nation.

That some Conservative Ideology seems to have failed to deliver on that, ie supposedly Free Trade, and the Establishment Republicans have failed to deliver on that, you are seeing a Populist revolt of the Republican voters.

The "nihilism" you think you see is actually desperation, because we don't know if the interests of the country can be served at this late date.

The question is not can the inter-party schism be healed, the question is can we turn this country around from it's path of decline.

I've notice that most of the parts of the country that haven't yet recovered are run by GOP governors (or in the case of now poorest state in the Union, Louisiana--up until very recently). So they feel betrayed by their own party. And of course by the Democrats as well, since they nominated a black man.

The question is not can the inter-party schism be healed, the question is can we turn this country around from it's path of decline.
Certainly you'd need the votes to do that. Are you confident you can get them on a macro scale?

No.

Actually, I think it is very late in the game to turn things around for America.

The most likely scenario for the US, imo, in the foreseeable future, is pretty grim.

But, Trump is shaking things up enough to give me hope.

Especially his strong challenge to Political Correctness.

I've notice that most of the parts of the country that haven't yet recovered are run by GOP governors (or in the case of now poorest state in the Union, Louisiana--up until very recently). So they feel betrayed by their own party. And of course by the Democrats as well, since they nominated a black man.

racecard-627x462.jpg

The answer lies with the leaders of the GOP. They can be heard discussing the matter daily on am radio stations nationwide. The goal of the GOP has been to get ratings rather than votes. With that in mind....exciting the base is more productive than expanding the base.

It's like half the party has just snapped. .

I think this is pretty much it. There have been fractures in the GOP for a long time. The GOP is not a right-wing or "conservative" Party but they campaign as one in order to get the anti-Dem vote and everyone has always known this and tolerated it. This year is different though because in the last Congress Boehner and McConnell outright mocked the very Tea Partiers/conservatives/constitutionalists who routinely put them into office and helped them gain control of Congress. Now there's a voter revolt.

Certainly you'd need the votes to do that. Are you confident you can get them on a macro scale?

No.

Actually, I think it is very late in the game to turn things around for America.

The most likely scenario for the US, imo, in the foreseeable future, is pretty grim.

But, Trump is shaking things up enough to give me hope.

Especially his strong challenge to Political Correctness.

Oh boy! You just found your way into Mac's heart. All is well.

racecard-627x462.jpg

I didn't shout it. Just plainly stated the facts.

And maybe explain it without the standard hyperbole and partisan BS.

The plutocrats have had their way with the rest of us for years. If you are among the very very rich, you have had it GREAT.

The unwashed masses have finally figured that out.

Trump is offering a authoritarian populist figure as an alternative to the plutocrats that run the country.

The plutocrats are not happy.

Bernie is offering the same idea, just in a different way.

Very interesting.

It that's the case, why do the incumbents in congress keep getting re-elected? Something like 94%.

You know, with everybody being pissed off at them.

There are many factors that weigh into that. One is that many people, seeing the choices do not vote. Also, like in 2014, many did vote for the "promise" of the repugs to get Obama and set things right, and it did not happen. That was almost a year and a half ago. Plenty of time for a majority to get totally DISGUSTED with media and the government. And this is really just a simple explanation. I'm sure it's a little more comp that I have stated.

The plutocrats have had their way with the rest of us for years. If you are among the very very rich, you have had it GREAT.

Trump is offering a authoritarian populist figure as an alternative to the plutocrats that run the country.

Very interesting.
One amazing thing I'm hearing (I don't have data on this) is that there is more than a little crossover support between Trump & Sanders.

Incredible.

Very interesting.
One amazing thing I'm hearing (I don't have data on this) is that there is more than a little crossover support between Trump & Sanders.

Incredible.

I highly doubt that.

Forum List

Back