Can someone explain what has happened to the GOP?

Simple answer. Voters are retarded.

But simple answers are supposed to be bad.

Where's the nuance?

Sometimes simple answers are bad. Retarded voters are bad.

So, when Trump offers a simple answer that's bad, but when you offer a simple answer, that's good?

:rofl:

LIberals. All the self awareness of a turnip.

I'm just some guy on a message board. Trump is trying to control a nuclear arsenal, and the lives of 300 million people. See the difference?

And maybe explain it without the standard hyperbole and partisan BS. Just some honest, solid analysis. Or maybe provide a link to a
piece that someone has written that calmly and reasonably explains it.

I think this "Fox News is the enemy" thing is the final straw with me. I'm now completely lost, and I feel like Sandra Bullock in Gravity, floating away from reality with no way to get back.

To wit:
  • The aforementioned darling news network is, overnight, the target of at least as much derision as MSNBC
  • A bombastic New Yorker who is clearly not a conservative is running away with the nomination
  • That same candidate can literally say the most ridiculous things and it only makes his support stronger
  • Suddenly, nationalism & populism clearly have more energy in the party than "conservative values"
  • A nihilistic, "I don't care, just blow the whole thing up" attitude seems to completely permeate the party
  • The slightest nod toward legislative cooperation is simply no longer allowed in public discourse
  • The Establishment, whatever that is, appears to be more hated than any Democrat
It's like half the party has just snapped.

Exactly what is the goal here? And does anyone care if this inter-party schism is healed?

Conservative Ideology AND the Republican Party are means to an end, the interests of the Nation.

That some Conservative Ideology seems to have failed to deliver on that, ie supposedly Free Trade, and the Establishment Republicans have failed to deliver on that, you are seeing a Populist revolt of the Republican voters.

The "nihilism" you think you see is actually desperation, because we don't know if the interests of the country can be served at this late date.

The question is not can the inter-party schism be healed, the question is can we turn this country around from it's path of decline.

Populism is dangerous.

It offers simple solutions to complex problems, and relies on demagoguery and scapegoating of others. It speaks to people in a very dark place.

Some of the worst governments anywhere have been populist or had roots in populism - Chavez, Peron, Mugabe, Hitler to name a few.

I would suggest a book titled Populism vs. Plutocracy edited by W.A.Carto.

This book explores some of the populist leanings of some very prominent Americans.
Thomas Jefferson, Andrew Jackson, Thomas Edison, Henry Ford, William Randolph Hearst, etc.

The country has a history of populism. Just not for a long time.
Till now.

And maybe explain it without the standard hyperbole and partisan BS. Just some honest, solid analysis. Or maybe provide a link to a piece that someone has written that calmly and reasonably explains it.

I think this "Fox News is the enemy" thing is the final straw with me. I'm now completely lost, and I feel like Sandra Bullock in Gravity, floating away from reality with no way to get back.

To wit:
  • The aforementioned darling news network is, overnight, the target of at least as much derision as MSNBC
  • A bombastic New Yorker who is clearly not a conservative is running away with the nomination
  • That same candidate can literally say the most ridiculous things and it only makes his support stronger
  • Suddenly, nationalism & populism clearly have more energy in the party than "conservative values"
  • A nihilistic, "I don't care, just blow the whole thing up" attitude seems to completely permeate the party
  • The slightest nod toward legislative cooperation is simply no longer allowed in public discourse
  • The Establishment, whatever that is, appears to be more hated than any Democrat

Exactly what is the goal here? And does anyone care if this inter-party schism is healed?

Conservative Ideology AND the Republican Party are means to an end, the interests of the Nation.

That some Conservative Ideology seems to have failed to deliver on that, ie supposedly Free Trade, and the Establishment Republicans have failed to deliver on that, you are seeing a Populist revolt of the Republican voters.

The "nihilism" you think you see is actually desperation, because we don't know if the interests of the country can be served at this late date.

The question is not can the inter-party schism be healed, the question is can we turn this country around from it's path of decline.

Populism is dangerous.

It offers simple solutions to complex problems, and relies on demagoguery and scapegoating of others. It speaks to people in a very dark place.

Some of the worst governments anywhere have been populist or had roots in populism - Chavez, Peron, Mugabe, Hitler to name a few.
Not always.

Populism, at least in the USA, is not all bad and has provided some good.

Think of Teddy Roosevelt and his trust busting. He was a populist president and did some good.

Think of the many anti-war movements during our history. If only they had prevented FDR from embroiling the nation in WWII, thousands of lives would have been saved. Populism could have prevented our involvement in WWII. The Vietnam War protest movement helped to stop that stupid war. What of the Occupy Movement and the Tea Party? Both offered the nation some good.

So, populism like most political movements is not all bad.

And maybe explain it without the standard hyperbole and partisan BS. Just some honest, solid analysis. Or maybe provide a link to a piece that someone has written that calmly and reasonably explains it.

To wit:

Populism is dangerous.

Not always.

Think of Teddy Roosevelt and his trust busting. He was a populist president and did some good.

Think of the many anti-war movements during our history. If only they had prevented FDR from embroiling the nation in WWII, thousands of lives would have been saved. Populism could have prevented our involvement in WWII. The Vietnam War protest movement helped to stop that stupid war. What of the Occupy Movement and the Tea Party? Both offered the nation some good.

Good points, except for WWII, we were in that no matter what.

To wit:

I understand your tension about the Republican party. That is why I am no longer a Republican, but an Independent with Conservative views. I really think the GOP has gone to the dark side. No longer can you count on them to be intellectually honest and act upon their words. Just look at Paul Ryan who was supposed to straighten out the House of Representatives.

But if you look at the Democrats, it's even worse! They claim to be for the people, particularly the poor but their endeavors only keep the poor in the lower class while lining their own pockets with all the cash.

I don't think politicians enter races for the "good of the country," but the office is where you can get rich fast. Just look at Harry Reid, and there's Republicans that can match him dollar for dollar. They spend more time with lobbyists than time on the chamber's floor, listening to colleagues speeches. It wasn't supposed to be like that.

That brings me to Trump. I haven't been an avid supporter, but found myself defending him on this board numerous times from silly comments and cartoons as you showed in this post. But, after looking at all the possible choices, I am now throwing what grain of support I have and intend to vote for Trump. I believe he is the most honest candidate because he DOES say what he means and won't be in the pockets of lobbyists,
I agree with him on the wall, immigration, political correctness and he doesn't have the need to hide an agenda to make himself rich. Santorum, I believe was a good man, but not electable.

So, until we can abolish the two party system, outlaw money changing hands for lobbying and destroy the "establishment candidates... I'll go with Trump.

To wit:

Populism is dangerous.

Not always.

I can't agree. FDR set it and prolonged it.

There was a very strong populist peace movement prior to WWII...FDR said repeatedly during the 1940 campaign that American boys would not die in Europe, so he could be elected to an unprecedented and unwarranted third term..all the while conniving to make war happen.

No. FDR set it all up.

There was a very strong peace movement in the USA prior to FDR's war. Had they succeeded in preventing his conniving actions, thousands of lives would have been saved. FDR said repeatedly during the 1940 campaign that no American boys would die in Europe, so he could be his worthless ass reelected for an unprecedented and unwarranted third term...all the while conniving for war.

If only that populist movement had succeeded in stopping FDR.

To wit:

Career politicians fuck everything up...

To wit:

Populism is dangerous.

Not always.

There was a very strong populist peace movement prior to WWII...FDR said repeatedly during the 1940 campaign that American boys would not die in Europe, so he could be elected to an unprecedented and unwarranted third term..all the while conniving to make war happen.

You're forgetting about Germany's ally Japan.

Trump is most definitely going to win the independent vote no matter who he runs against d or r....

Populism is dangerous.

Not always.

You're forgetting about Germany's ally Japan.
No. See my post above.

Where's the nuance?

So, when Trump offers a simple answer that's bad, but when you offer a simple answer, that's good?

I'm just some guy on a message board. Trump is trying to control a nuclear arsenal, and the lives of 300 million people. See the difference?

You are going to vote for someone to control that same nuclear arsenal, based on your simple answers.

Where's the nuance?

I don't think Trump would want to control the lives of 300 million people. He wants what's best for the country...and that is what makes the difference from the other candidates. Most of the other candidates are using their position to enhance their own personal wealth.

I'm tellin' you, they need to have a polygraph attached to them every time they say a word!

Indeed. Here is the "Polygraph" I recommend.

8722c8f3119b8ed6b84169195f4ad213.jpg

I don't think Trump would want to control the lives of 300 million people. He wants what's best for the country...and that is what makes the difference from the other candidates. Most of the other candidates are using their position to enhance their own personal wealth.

I agree. I just can't see why the libtards are too self deluded to see that as well. Why do they continue to want and vote for people who will end up destroying us?

To wit:

This is what happens when you no-longer represent your constituency. When you've sold out to special interests and rich donors.

So you nominate one of the rich donors? It would be like you're pissed at your CEO for not coming out with a new product in 20 years then promoting the head of new product development to the job of CEO because he's funny.

Career politicians fuck everything up...
Fixed it for you...... no charge. :D
I'm tellin' you, they need to have a polygraph attached to them every time they say a word!
You know, back in the early years of our new country, Congressmen were working just months in the chambers but went back to their home state for months to continue with their "real job". They would wait until it was time to report back to Washington and vote on laws them. They were paid a part time salary. With the little time they spend in chambers now, I think we should go back to the original concept. And meeting with lobbyists would be a criminal offense! :2up:

'Can someone explain what has happened to the GOP?'

You mean the GOP that now controls both the House and the Senate due to the historic, record-setting rejection / defeat of the Democrats in 2014, the same GOP - none of whose Presidential candidates are under investigation by the FBI for crimes under the ESPIONAGE Act or for Corruption OR is an admitted member of the Socialist Party?

:lmao:

On a serious note...

The GOP has been taken over by self-serving Washington Establishment GOP who care more about obtaining and keeping power, profit, and their positions/jobs than representing the American people - in other words, they have become Liberal Progressive clones. With the exception of a small few there is no difference between them and the Democratic Party clowns.

In 2014 the change in power had NOTHING to do with Republicans, as they naively claimed / believe. After Democrats rammed the minority-supported Obamacare down the throats of the majority of Americans who opposed it, after they declared Americans had no RIGHT to know what was in it until the edict had passed, after a nearly $1 trillion 7,000-pieces-of-DNC-benefitting-Pork-filled spending bill was passed into law, after over $6 trillion was added in only 4 years, after years of non-representative government, and after Obama injected himself into the 2014 elections by declaring the election was all about HIM - his policies, his agenda, his record, the people OUSTED, rejected, FIRED the Democrats. By DEFAULT the GOP took over the Senate to go along with the House.

Moronic, bloated, self-important GOP leaders like Boehner and McConnell declared the election was about them, that the people had given them a mandate. Once in control of the House and Senate they began acting exactly like the politicians the people had just ousted from power. They began giving Liberals / Obama everything they wanted. By doing so they have drawn the attention and ire or the same people who had just ousted the Democrats.

The current GOP nomination race - dominated by the anti-Washington Establishment GOP 'rebellion' - is reflective of / the culmination of all of this. Trump, for example, is the antithesis of 'Washington Establishment GOP. People are tired of the corruption, lies, 'edicts', non-representative government, politicians pandering to and making illegals and terrorists / 'refugees' a higher priority than American citizens...and politicians on both sides of the aisle haven't been / aren't listening. THAT is why such 'outsiders' - like Trump, who is giving voice to the anger and frustration of the American people - are dominating the GOP race. Jeb Bush, who I would describe as 'THE' Washington Establishment GOP candidate, is so far behind he should drop out...but refuses to.

So there we are...IMO.

I agree. I just can't see why the libtards are too self deluded to see that as well. Why do they continue to want and vote for people who will end up destroying us?
They don't see it that way, just as many Republicans refuse to acknowledge what has happened in their own party.
The most deluded thinking is anyone who votes for the incredibly dishonest Hillary Clinton. I mean, it's as clear as black and white that she has her hand in most anyone's pocket to enrich herself.
Bernie, I feel is an honest candidate, I just don't agree with everything being free and the US, whose debt is already astronomical, paying for everyone in the US.

Forum List

Back