Can someone explain what has happened to the GOP?

And maybe explain it without the standard hyperbole and partisan BS. Just some honest, solid analysis. Or maybe provide a link to a piece that someone has written that calmly and reasonably explains it.

I think this "Fox News is the enemy" thing is the final straw with me. I'm now completely lost, and I feel like Sandra Bullock in Gravity, floating away from reality with no way to get back.

To wit:
  • The aforementioned darling news network is, overnight, the target of at least as much derision as MSNBC
  • A bombastic New Yorker who is clearly not a conservative is running away with the nomination
  • That same candidate can literally say the most ridiculous things and it only makes his support stronger
  • Suddenly, nationalism & populism clearly have more energy in the party than "conservative values"
  • A nihilistic, "I don't care, just blow the whole thing up" attitude seems to completely permeate the party
  • The slightest nod toward legislative cooperation is simply no longer allowed in public discourse
  • The Establishment, whatever that is, appears to be more hated than any Democrat
It's like half the party has just snapped.

Exactly what is the goal here? And does anyone care if this inter-party schism is healed?

Conservative Ideology AND the Republican Party are means to an end, the interests of the Nation.

That some Conservative Ideology seems to have failed to deliver on that, ie supposedly Free Trade, and the Establishment Republicans have failed to deliver on that, you are seeing a Populist revolt of the Republican voters.

The "nihilism" you think you see is actually desperation, because we don't know if the interests of the country can be served at this late date.

The question is not can the inter-party schism be healed, the question is can we turn this country around from it's path of decline.

Populism is dangerous.

It offers simple solutions to complex problems, and relies on demagoguery and scapegoating of others. It speaks to people in a very dark place.

Some of the worst governments anywhere have been populist or had roots in populism - Chavez, Peron, Mugabe, Hitler to name a few.

I've notice that most of the parts of the country that haven't yet recovered are run by GOP governors (or in the case of now poorest state in the Union, Louisiana--up until very recently). So they feel betrayed by their own party. And of course by the Democrats as well, since they nominated a black man.

racecard-627x462.jpg

I didn't shout it. Just plainly stated the facts.

racecard-627x462.jpg

It's not just the GOP, the whole American Political System has gone FULL RETARD.

There's a possibility of a Donald Trump versus Bernie Sanders race for the Presidency, have we lost our minds?

Kirk Lazarus: "Everybody knows you never go full retard."
Tugg Speedman: "What do you mean?"
Kirk Lazarus: "Check it out. Dustin Hoffman, 'Rain Man,' look retarded, act retarded, not retarded. Counted toothpicks, cheated cards. Autistic, sho'. Not retarded. You know Tom Hanks, 'Forrest Gump.' Slow, yes. Retarded, maybe. Braces on his legs. But he charmed the pants off Nixon and won a ping-pong competition. That ain't retarded. Peter Sellers, "Being There." Infantile, yes. Retarded, no. You went full retard, man. Never go full retard. You don't buy that? Ask Sean Penn, 2001, "I Am Sam." Remember? Went full retard, went home empty handed." -- Tropical Thunder

And maybe explain it without the standard hyperbole and partisan BS.

The plutocrats have had their way with the rest of us for years. If you are among the very very rich, you have had it GREAT.

The unwashed masses have finally figured that out.

Trump is offering a authoritarian populist figure as an alternative to the plutocrats that run the country.

The plutocrats are not happy.

Bernie is offering the same idea, just in a different way.

Very interesting.
One amazing thing I'm hearing (I don't have data on this) is that there is more than a little crossover support between Trump & Sanders.

Incredible.

THAT IS incredible.

I will keep an ear out for any information on THAT.

And maybe explain it without the standard hyperbole and partisan BS. Just some honest, solid analysis. Or maybe provide a link to a piece that someone has written that calmly and reasonably explains it.

I think this "Fox News is the enemy" thing is the final straw with me. I'm now completely lost, and I feel like Sandra Bullock in Gravity, floating away from reality with no way to get back.

To wit:
  • The aforementioned darling news network is, overnight, the target of at least as much derision as MSNBC
  • A bombastic New Yorker who is clearly not a conservative is running away with the nomination
  • That same candidate can literally say the most ridiculous things and it only makes his support stronger
  • Suddenly, nationalism & populism clearly have more energy in the party than "conservative values"
  • A nihilistic, "I don't care, just blow the whole thing up" attitude seems to completely permeate the party
  • The slightest nod toward legislative cooperation is simply no longer allowed in public discourse
  • The Establishment, whatever that is, appears to be more hated than any Democrat

Exactly what is the goal here? And does anyone care if this inter-party schism is healed?
This is what happens when you no-longer represent your constituency. When you've sold out to special interests and rich donors.

To wit:

Conservative Ideology AND the Republican Party are means to an end, the interests of the Nation.

That some Conservative Ideology seems to have failed to deliver on that, ie supposedly Free Trade, and the Establishment Republicans have failed to deliver on that, you are seeing a Populist revolt of the Republican voters.

The "nihilism" you think you see is actually desperation, because we don't know if the interests of the country can be served at this late date.

The question is not can the inter-party schism be healed, the question is can we turn this country around from it's path of decline.

Populism is dangerous.

It offers simple solutions to complex problems, and relies on demagoguery and scapegoating of others. It speaks to people in a very dark place.

Some of the worst governments anywhere have been populist or had roots in populism - Chavez, Peron, Mugabe, Hitler to name a few.
Crap, I wish I had said that.

That's exactly what concerns me about this current environment, and it in part explains the popularity of people like Palin & Trump, who both rely on platitudes and "plain talk".

Life is complicated, and I'm just not seeing nuanced thought processes here.

To wit:

This is what happens when you no-longer represent your constituency. When you've sold out to special interests and rich donors.
Can't argue there. Our political/electoral process is absolutely polluted and distorted by money.

To wit:

Populism is dangerous.

Simple answers are sometimes called for.

And we are not scapegoating others. NOr are we operating from a "dark place".

To wit:

Populism is dangerous.

Crap, I wish I had said that.

That's exactly what concerns me about this current environment, and it in part explains the popularity of people like Palin & Trump, who both rely on platitudes and "plain talk".

Life is complicated, and I'm just not seeing nuanced thought processes here.

LIfe is not always complicated.

Nuance is not an excuse for avoiding unpleasant truths or not taking action.

It's not just the GOP, the whole American Political System has gone FULL RETARD.

There's a possibility of a Donald Trump versus Bernie Sanders race for the Presidency, have we lost our minds?

Kirk Lazarus: "Check it out. Dustin Hoffman, 'Rain Man,' look retarded, act retarded, not retarded. Counted toothpicks, cheated cards. Autistic, sho'. Not retarded. You know Tom Hanks, 'Forrest Gump.' Slow, yes. Retarded, maybe. Braces on his legs. But he charmed the pants off Nixon and won a ping-pong competition. That ain't retarded. Peter Sellers, "Being There." Infantile, yes. Retarded, no. You went full retard, man. Never go full retard. You don't buy that? Ask Sean Penn, 2001, "I Am Sam." Remember? Went full retard, went home empty handed." -- Tropical Thunder
One of my favorite scenes from one of my favorite movies :laugh:

The persistent desire by some to equate what Trump stands for with what Sanders stands for is interesting.....but completely without merit.

Bernie Sanders has actual policy positions and proposes solutions to problems. His focus is on income inequality......and his thoughts on taxes make nutbags point at him like he's crazy. But...in reality....his suggestions don't differ much from those that have worked in the past.

Trump.......none of that. Nothing coming from his campaign can be considered a well thought out policy proposal.

No. They are not similar. Not in any way.

I agree.

It was hilarious to hear a talented actor giving career advice while still in character of a Vietnam era soldier.

(and yes, I know that it was an actor playing an actor for an additional level)

I agree.

It was hilarious to hear a talented actor giving career advice while still in character of a Vietnam era soldier.

(and yes, I know that it was an actor playing an actor for an additional level)

Nothing gets past you.

Simple answer. Voters are retarded.

But simple answers are supposed to be bad.

Where's the nuance?

You can't fit nuance into a 10 second sound byte.

True for every politician in the TV age.

Radio too. You can find nuance if you want to but most people aren't willing to do anything more than watch or read their media outlet of choice which will not be nuanced.

Forum List

Back