California Rejects Desalination Plant Project During Historic Draught

Weatherman2020

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2013
Right coast, classified
You can lead a Leftard to water, but you can’t make them drink.
Can’t make water with all those expensive homes around.
BTW: this is the location of the desalination plant a hundred years ago. Now it’s packed with 2,000 sq ft homes going for $3M.
1652703882642.jpeg

You can lead a Leftard to water, but you can’t make them drink.
Can’t make water with all those expensive homes around.
BTW: this is the location of the desalination plant a hundred years ago. Now it’s packed with 2,000 sq ft homes going for $3M.
View attachment 645312
You can't fix stupid

Environmentalists have long said desalination harms ocean life, costs too much money and energy, and the plant would soon be made obsolete by water recycling.

Water recycling. Hmmmmm

Truth be told would CA even have the power available to run one?

It seems to me the only viable way would be to run one would be with a nuclear reactor.

No idea if this is accurate but I know that they use a lot of power.

What does that mean for power? Well, for each cubic meter of water you need, well, a KPa is 1000 newtons of force per square meter. So, for each cubic meter of water you want to desalinate you have to exert 2.9 million newtons for 1 meter, which (by definition) is 2.9 million joules of energy. That means that a million cubic meters would take 2.9 trillion joules. That converts to 812,000 kilowatt hours. That's roughly the amount of electricity that 100 average homes in the US use in one year. In other words, it's a lot of power, but not beyond our capabilities to achieve. Depending on the area, that's about the amount of water used by 1000-2000 homes in a year, which means that desalinating all of our water (at least for home use) would only amount to 5-10% of domestic power use.

Truth be told would CA even have the power available to run one?

It seems to me the only viable way would be to run one would be with a nuclear reactor.

No idea if this is accurate but I know that they use a lot of power.

What does that mean for power? Well, for each cubic meter of water you need, well, a KPa is 1000 newtons of force per square meter. So, for each cubic meter of water you want to desalinate you have to exert 2.9 million newtons for 1 meter, which (by definition) is 2.9 million joules of energy. That means that a million cubic meters would take 2.9 trillion joules. That converts to 812,000 kilowatt hours. That's roughly the amount of electricity that 100 average homes in the US use in one year. In other words, it's a lot of power, but not beyond our capabilities to achieve. Depending on the area, that's about the amount of water used by 1000-2000 homes in a year, which means that desalinating all of our water (at least for home use) would only amount to 5-10% of domestic power use.
I think that is one reason they said in the article about it costing too much.

Environmentalists have long said desalination harms ocean life, costs too much money and energy, and the plant would soon be made obsolete by water recycling.

Water recycling. Hmmmmm
Most desalination plants in Arabia produce pure water and cheap electricity as a by product.

I don't know the California details, obviously, but I worked on a de-sal plant in Tampa many years ago. The local tree huggers were convinced that the reject water, which is somewhat saltier than the intake water, would kill all the fish. We won; they lost. It turned out that schools of fish LOVED to hang around the outflows of the plant after it was built.

Yes, reverse-osmosis desalination uses a lot of electricity.

Water recycling. Hmmmmm

Dying of thirst hurts life on land, having no water to put out all those fires is a problem, and Ca doesn't have water to recycle, thus the need for desalination plants.

Yeah, but they are being forced into a "pay me now or pay me later" situation
Oh (dry) well. ;)
They will have to figure something out.

I was intrigued by the water recycling comment in the article. Which it didn't elaborate on.

How much power will that take?.

Is it a cheap and more sustainable solution.

I have no clue.

I don't know the California details, obviously, but I worked on a de-sal plant in Tampa many years ago. The local tree huggers were convinced that the reject water, which is somewhat saltier than the intake water, would kill all the fish. We won; they lost. It turned out that schools of fish LOVED to hang around the outflows of the plant after it was built.

They have over 30 desal plants in Arabia.. very few reverse osmosis. Osmosis doesn't remove many contaminants.

They will have to figure something out.

I was intrigued by the water recycling comment in the article. Which it didn't elaborate on.

How much power will that take?.

Is it a cheap and more sustainable solution.

I have no clue.
One of the prisons I worked at routinely got gigged for releasing "too pure" water into the stream from our sewage treatment plant. Evidently a certain amount of "nastys" also had to be released so as to not upset the balance of the stream.

Now I don't know if the "too pure" water was potable or not or if it would have satisfied our water needs if it was but I bet it could have been diverted to say our prison laundry needs.

One of the prisons I worked at routinely got gigged for releasing "too pure" water into the stream from our sewage treatment plant. Evidently a certain amount of "nastys" also had to be released so as to not upset the balance of the stream.

Now I don't know if the "too pure" water was potable or not or if it would have satisfied our water needs if it was but I bet it could have been diverted to say our prison laundry needs.
Minerals were added to the desalinated water in Arabia.

You are 100% correct....There were huge schools of Drum and Pompano in that area. A old hunting buddy lived in the area and we would fish it when I'd go down to visit.

The commission has approved 11 other desalination plants, including another one that Poseidon has operated down the coast in Carlsbad since 2015.

The Carlsbad desalination plant, the largest in the United States, turns ocean water to drinking water in 90 minutes, but it was built on more elevated geography and approved before statewide desalination regulations came into effect.

????

The commission has approved 11 other desalination plants, including another one that Poseidon has operated down the coast in Carlsbad since 2015.

The Carlsbad desalination plant, the largest in the United States, turns ocean water to drinking water in 90 minutes, but it was built on more elevated geography and approved before statewide desalination regulations came into effect.

????
Sounds like fluff by the these guys on the left.

Forum List

Back