....BellingCat......

Chillicothe

Platinum Member
Feb 14, 2021
No surprise to anyone who has read some of my contributions....I am a big fan of BellingCat
I have cited or quoted their work regularly on this venue.

Well, last night's episode of '60-Minutes' profiled the founder and the organization.

I find their work fascinating in that the information they reveal is being discovered, collated, and curated....NOT.....by CIA or Mossad uber-sleuths. But rather by hobbyist and amateur keyboard social justice warriors.
And the stuff they are finding and revealing better informs us all.....because they readily share it online.

I'm mildly confident that the our own spy agencies, and other nation's agencies have also discovered what BellingCat has found. But those folks don't share it like BellingCat does.

If you are unfamiliar with BellingCat, well, take a look at Scott Pelley's interview from last night's '60-Minutes'.

No surprise to anyone who has read some of my contributions....I am a big fan of BellingCat
I have cited or quoted their work regularly on this venue.

Well, last night's episode of '60-Minutes' profiled the founder and the organization.

I find their work fascinating in that the information they reveal is being discovered, collated, and curated....NOT.....by CIA or Mossad uber-sleuths. But rather by hobbyist and amateur keyboard social justice warriors.
And the stuff they are finding and revealing better informs us all.....because they readily share it online.

I'm mildly confident that the our own spy agencies, and other nation's agencies have also discovered what BellingCat has found. But those folks don't share it like BellingCat does.

If you are unfamiliar with BellingCat, well, take a look at Scott Pelley's interview from last night's '60-Minutes'.

I watched it as well. I'm not surprised that they are so effective. I think our investigative agencies are either too overworked or just not as motivated.

I think our investigative agencies are either too overworked or just not as motivated.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well, I can't naysay that, as I simply don't know.

But, I would lean more towards: Our agencies know, they just ain't tellin' the unwashed lest they give away their sourcing methodologies.

They may very well use some of the tactics that BellingCat does, except BC has thousands of contributors, so that is a plus. However, our agencies have humint, and comm-intercepts, and satellite intelligence that must be a huge plus. And they share that with only those with 'a-need-to-know'.

Regardless, I am glad an entity such as BellingCat exists as sort of a hall-monitor on the folks who do the bad ju-ju.

Forum List

Back