California laws preventing S&W and Ruger from selling guns.

OriginalShroom

Gold Member
Jan 29, 2013
Looks like California has found a way to stop their citizens from getting guns.

Requiring Gun makers to microstamp the cartridges when fired.

Smith and Wesson has already said they can't comply with the law and now Ruger is saying the same thing.

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Govern...Of-California-Due-To-Microstamping-Regulation

On January 23rd, Breitbart News reported Smith & Wesson's plans to end most California gun sales due to the state's microstamping regulation. In so doing, we mentioned that Sturm, Ruger, & Co. had also announced that their guns would likely not be available in California either for the same reason.

Breitbart News spoke to Sturm, Ruger, & Co. on January 24th and they provided us with this statement "in response to our question about how the [microstamping] law in California will impact Ruger":

Ruger is committed to its customers in California. Unfortunately, the ill-conceived law requiring the incorporation of microstamping technology into semi-automatic pistols is forcing Ruger pistols off the Roster of Handguns Certified for Sale in California. We are working hard to serve our customers in California and will do all we can to fight this draconian law. We continue to submit pistols to the independent test lab for testing and those pistols meet all the requirements of California in effect when those pistols first appeared on the Roster, i.e., everything except microstamping. We have been informed by the lab that the CA DDI will not even consider these "new" pistols for inclusion on the Roster unless they satisfy the microstamping regulations, which many numerous studies have found unworkable. Until microstamping is repealed, we expect that Ruger pistols--some of the safest available--will continue to be forced off the Roster.

It would serve CA right if all gun and ammo manufacturers quit selling to law enforcement except at highly inflated prices to make up for their lost revenue in the private market.

If there were ever a time to file a lawsuit to have a law invalidated, it's now.

Make a bar code out of the rifling in the barrels. There are infinite variations that can be used in the width and spacing of the grooves.

Simple idea? Yes.

Simple to implement? No...and it would only present an improvement of the current method of identifying which rifled barrel a bullet went through on its way out of the gun. Barrel marks are similar to fingerprints.

California lawmakers are collectively STUPID!

Make a bar code out of the rifling in the barrels. There are infinite variations that can be used in the width and spacing of the grooves.

Simple idea? Yes.

Simple to implement? No...and it would only present an improvement of the current method of identifying which rifled barrel a bullet went through on its way out of the gun. Barrel marks are similar to fingerprints.

gotta remember the intent of the law is to just plain get rid of guns period
and this won't stop until it's succeeded.

Smith and Wesson has already said they can't comply with the law and now Ruger is saying the same thing.

Ruger Firearms Being 'Forced' Out of California Due to Microstamping

On January 23rd, Breitbart News reported Smith & Wesson's plans to end most California gun sales due to the state's microstamping regulation. In so doing, we mentioned that Sturm, Ruger, & Co. had also announced that their guns would likely not be available in California either for the same reason.

Breitbart News spoke to Sturm, Ruger, & Co. on January 24th and they provided us with this statement "in response to our question about how the [microstamping] law in California will impact Ruger":

Ruger is committed to its customers in California. Unfortunately, the ill-conceived law requiring the incorporation of microstamping technology into semi-automatic pistols is forcing Ruger pistols off the Roster of Handguns Certified for Sale in California. We are working hard to serve our customers in California and will do all we can to fight this draconian law. We continue to submit pistols to the independent test lab for testing and those pistols meet all the requirements of California in effect when those pistols first appeared on the Roster, i.e., everything except microstamping. We have been informed by the lab that the CA DDI will not even consider these "new" pistols for inclusion on the Roster unless they satisfy the microstamping regulations, which many numerous studies have found unworkable. Until microstamping is repealed, we expect that Ruger pistols--some of the safest available--will continue to be forced off the Roster.

Here's the background with pros and cons:

Firearm microstamping - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

First, California is not preventing anyone from selling guns in the sate. Smith & Wesson and Sturm & Ruger are opting not to comply with the new law regarding microstamping and the result is that they will not be offering their semi-automatics for sale in California. There has been no mention of their revolvers, so they may still be selling those in the California market.

I can't say that I blame them. Microstamping is expensive, flawed, unproven and likely to fail over time. How many times will the gun be fired before the microstamp is illegible?

One thing I have learned after living in California for more than thirty years is this, as forward thinking as they think they are, as much as they think they are better than the rest of the country, they constantly pass laws that can only be considered embarrassing by the rest of the country...

It should be interesting to see what Colt and Glock and the others do...

Last edited:

Simple idea? Yes.

gotta remember the intent of the law is to just plain get rid of guns period
and this won't stop until it's succeeded.
...and what the collectively stupid do not fathom is that CRIMINALS DO NOT OBEY GUN LAWS! Every time I see an argument for gun control I sigh in disbelief that so many still cling to the asinine idea that criminals will turn in or register their weapons. Just how stupid can people get?

Ruger Firearms Being 'Forced' Out of California Due to Microstamping

Wouldn't surprise me if the inventor/manufacturer of this process can do it just fine, but it's proprietary process and technology. :) Laws don't come into being out of the goodness of anyone's heart, they're the result of business and money.

First, California is not preventing anyone from selling guns in the sate. Smith & Wesson and Sturm & Ruger are opting not to comply with the new law regarding microstamping and the result is that they will not be offering their semi-automatics for sale in California. There has been no mention of their revolvers, so they may still be selling those in the California market.

I can't say that I blame them. Microstamping is expensive, flawed, unproven and likely to fail over time. How many times will the gun be fired before the microstamp is illegible?

One thing I have learned after living in California for more than thirty years is this, as forward thinking as they think they are, as much as they think they are better than the rest of the country, they constantly pass laws that can only be considered embarrassing by the rest of the country...

It should be interest to see what Colt and Glock and the others do...
...and the micro-stamping will not identify the person that fired a stolen pistol. All it would do is identify the pistol.

This is just another stupid attempt by lawmakers to get people to think that they are earning their pay. You may logically rest assured that most of those lawmakers that propose to take away guns...have their own guns handy and will be exempt from compliance.

First, California is not preventing anyone from selling guns in the sate. Smith & Wesson and Sturm & Ruger are opting not to comply with the new law regarding microstamping and the result is that they will not be offering their semi-automatics for sale in California.

On the other hand the law is requiring something to be done that requires unreliable technology. How can someone be expected to comply with a law that cannot be reasonably complied with because the technology is not readily available? How can that be anything other than a de facto prohibition?

There has been no mention of their revolvers, so they may still be selling those in the California market.

I don't know exactly how CA law works, but I would not be surprised if revolvers end up being judicially interpreted to be part of the requirements of the law. After all, a double action revolver is essentially a semi-automatic revolver.

California has also recently passed a law that requires sushi chefs to wear gloves.

To my knowledge there is no study or report that claims people have become sick from eating tainted sushi related to unclean hands.

Here is yet another attempt to CONTROL THE PEOPLE!

Likely, some asshole that promoted this new law has substantial stock in the glove manufacturer!

Maybe someday we'll all be required to wear gloves when applauding in public....as slapping the hands together spreads airborne, dead skin cells.
:clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2:

Maybe we should be required to wear gloves when shaking hands!

Maybe there will be a law against shaking hands!

This ^^^^ is how the liberal lawmaker's brain progresses from one silly thought to another!

Last edited:

Forum List

Back