Breaking News: Louisiana's Governor To Strip Food Stamps From Walmart Looters

Now this is something that I am proud he is doing in order to set an example. As you recall, last month Food Stamp recipients in Louisiana took advantage of a Walmart glitch and raided several stores of food and anything else you can imagine for several hours charging hundreds of dollars over their monthly limits. Well now, thanks to Senator David Vitter pushing to have the criminals who did this prosecuted, Governor Jindal has agreed and will go ahead with steps to have them prosecuted and have their Food Stamps stripped. Now watch the liberal media attack Jindal and Vitter for being racist for doing this to these oh so called poor minorities. What Jindal should do is expand the stripping of the food stamps to not only the Walmart looters but to all the abusers in the state. Don't y'all agree?

Jindal moves to strip food stamps from abusers | Home | The Advocate ? Baton Rouge, LA

The Jindal administration announced late Wednesday that it is moving to strip food stamps from recipients who took advantage of a technical glitch last month to stock up on free groceries.

The announcement came after U.S. Sen. David Vitter, R-La., pressured state officials to take action by taking away food stamp benefits and forming a task force with local prosecutors to bring criminal charges. Retailers lost money when they allowed food stamp recipients to leave their stores with groceries even though they could not check spending limits. When the transactions were processed later, thousands bounced back because recipients exceeded their food stamp balances.

Smartphone images of empty store shelves and bulging grocery carts at Wal-Marts in Springhill and Mansfield made national news.

The state Department of Children and Family Services said Wednesday that retailers across the state got 12,000 nonsufficient funds messages.

If only Vitter were as tough on the idiots on Wall Street that "looted" our economy in 2007.

Last edited:
Now this is something that I am proud he is doing in order to set an example. As you recall, last month Food Stamp recipients in Louisiana took advantage of a Walmart glitch and raided several stores of food and anything else you can imagine for several hours charging hundreds of dollars over their monthly limits. Well now, thanks to Senator David Vitter pushing to have the criminals who did this prosecuted, Governor Jindal has agreed and will go ahead with steps to have them prosecuted and have their Food Stamps stripped. Now watch the liberal media attack Jindal and Vitter for being racist for doing this to these oh so called poor minorities. What Jindal should do is expand the stripping of the food stamps to not only the Walmart looters but to all the abusers in the state. Don't y'all agree?

Jindal moves to strip food stamps from abusers | Home | The Advocate ? Baton Rouge, LA

The Jindal administration announced late Wednesday that it is moving to strip food stamps from recipients who took advantage of a technical glitch last month to stock up on free groceries.

The announcement came after U.S. Sen. David Vitter, R-La., pressured state officials to take action by taking away food stamp benefits and forming a task force with local prosecutors to bring criminal charges. Retailers lost money when they allowed food stamp recipients to leave their stores with groceries even though they could not check spending limits. When the transactions were processed later, thousands bounced back because recipients exceeded their food stamp balances.

Smartphone images of empty store shelves and bulging grocery carts at Wal-Marts in Springhill and Mansfield made national news.

The state Department of Children and Family Services said Wednesday that retailers across the state got 12,000 nonsufficient funds messages.

If only Vitter were as tough on the idiots on Wall Street that "looted" our economy in 2007.

that falls under the auspices of the feds.

Off-Topic, bitch.

Go away.

Prosecuting these Food Stamp douchebags would be useless. In most cases, Jail is an improvement in their lifestyle. "Three Hots And A Cot" is superior to the way most of them live right now.

As to taking their EBT cards? So what? They'll just start stealing or running a scam or selling dope or hit the streets again or .... Whatever.

But I guess you gotta do something if for no other reason than to -- Do Something.

dimocraps have made these people a permanent fixture in our lives.

The harm they've done will take 50 years to fix -- If we get started RIGHT NOW.

And that ain't gonna happen.

Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson are prolly in flight to LA as we speak, with brand new decks of race cards at the ready.

Last edited:

Vitter is a senator, Jindal is the governor. You are an idiot.

Piyush will get lots of Tea Party votes for that stunt.

Do you agree with him for stripping them of their food stamps?

Not really.

What would be fair is to deduct the value of what they bought from their alotment.

If they have accurate records and you can trust that Wal Mart kept accurate records.

The blame here really belongs to Wal Mart. They know damned well that most people don't have thousands of dollars of credit on their cards and processed the transactions anyway.

Right, stealing is OK when poor people do it. WTF is wrong with you libtards?

Since Food Stamps are Federal, does Piyush really have the authority to do this?

Did Wal Mart keep accurate records of who exceeded their alotments?

The funds are FEDERAL but the STATES oversee and regulate their distribution.

I think if people wildly overspent their limits, then they certainly ought to pay a price for it.

Minor overspending (maybe 25% of monthly or so) could easily be a mistake and ought to be handled as simply something that is paid back in the following month(s).

People need to learn to be honest. That includes Walmart in this.

Absolutely.
In my opinion, two things should happen here:
1) The EBT holders should have the equal amount they overcharged to be deducted from their future balance in equal amounts.
2) WalMart should be fined to the equal amount of everyone who overcharged. The store manager's excuse is unacceptable.
Now, that means taxpayers will get twice their money back. Good.

Right, prosecute them, send them to prison, put their children in foster care while they are gone. 3 hots and a cot for the perps, and the state pays the foster family. Real smooth move Ex Lax.

Right, prosecute them, send them to prison, put their children in foster care while they are gone. 3 hots and a cot for the perps, and the state pays the foster family. Real smooth move Ex Lax.

what would you do? give them double benefits for the next 12 months because their feelings might have been hurt when someone on the news called them cheats?

Piyush will get lots of Tea Party votes for that stunt.

Do you agree with him for stripping them of their food stamps?

Yes, but not for prosecuting. I have worked in prisons and know how expensive that is. I, myself, was making 6 figures to care for my caseload. My mother used to say, 'Don't cut off your nose to spite your face.' This is what the gov is doing. People don't want those dealing drugs prosecuted and that creates real harm to society. This was innocuous as to society outside of Wally World. It costs a state about $30,000 to keep a felon in prison for a year. This was a crime, to be sure, but it was a non violent crime. Take away the food stamps. But don't spend $30,000 of taxpayer money plus foster care for their children. That is stupid.

what would you do? give them double benefits for the next 12 months because their feelings might have been hurt when someone on the news called them cheats?

See my last post. I've worked in prisons. The cost of incarceration is too much for a mere 'cheat.'

Absolutely.
1) The EBT holders should have the equal amount they overcharged to be deducted from their future balance in equal amounts.
2) WalMart should be fined to the equal amount of everyone who overcharged. The store manager's excuse is unacceptable.

[MENTION=24610]iamwhatiseem[/MENTION]

I agree that Wal Mart should not be held blameless. Their managers knew what was going down and they allowed it to happen. But, I can't call up any law that would invoke a fine. Do you know of one? There has to be some law or precedent.

Absolutely.

My understanding is people receive around $140-$200 a month per household member, so if a mother has 4 kids and herself, she could easily have close to a $1000 on that card. How in the heck is Walmart supposed to know? They should not be held accountable, even though they have stated they will eat it, which I think is very gracious of them. If anything, the company that administers the system should be held accountable for the failure of their system along with the card holder.

Last edited:

See my last post. I've worked in prisons. The cost of incarceration is too much for a mere 'cheat.'

I would not put them in jail either, but they should not get any more foodstamp credit until what they stole is deducted.

Absolutely.

My understanding is people recieve around $140-$200 a month per household member, so if a mother has 4 kids and herself, she could easily have close to a $1000 on that card. How in the heck is Walmart supposed to know? They should not be held accountable, even though they have stated they will eat it, which I think is very gracious of them. If anything, the company that administers the system should be held accountable for the failure of their system along with the card holder.

So if the banks computers are down, they are supposed to hand you unlimited amounts of cash at the teller window? Will you come work at MY bank?

Absolutely.

My understanding is people recieve around $140-$200 a month per household member, so if a mother has 4 kids and herself, she could easily have close to a $1000 on that card. How in the heck is Walmart supposed to know? They should not be held accountable, even though they have stated they will eat it, which I think is very gracious of them. If anything, the company that administers the system should be held accountable for the failure of their system along with the card holder.

So if the banks computers are down, they are supposed to hand you unlimited amounts of cash at the teller window? Will you come work at MY bank?

Walmart should not be reimbursed for any charges that they accepted over the amount of credit the person had on their card.

the amount over spent by the card holder should be deducted from future payments.

this is not complicated.

Absolutely.

they weren't down, they just did not have a limit, in which, having dealt with processors before, they don't tell you at the point of sale what an individual card holders limit is, other than to deny it if you go over. By not being denied did not tell Walmart or the other retailers that they were going over their limits.

Absolutely.

My understanding is people receive around $140-$200 a month per household member, so if a mother has 4 kids and herself, she could easily have close to a $1000 on that card. How in the heck is Walmart supposed to know? They should not be held accountable, even though they have stated they will eat it, which I think is very gracious of them. If anything, the company that administers the system should be held accountable for the failure of their system along with the card holder.

Perhaps we should take a second look at the EBT cards themselves. Go back to the hard copy food stamps. And, no duplicates if you "lose" them as you kept doing with your cards, and stamps before.

Absolutely.

Perhaps we should take a second look at the EBT cards themselves. Go back to the hard copy food stamps. And, no duplicates if you "lose" them as you kept doing with your cards, and stamps before.

I totally agree. It is easier for the retailers I am sure, but this sort of thing could not happen again.

Forum List

Back