Breaking News: Louisiana's Governor To Strip Food Stamps From Walmart Looters

Steve_McGarrett

Gold Member
Jul 11, 2013
Now this is something that I am proud he is doing in order to set an example. As you recall, last month Food Stamp recipients in Louisiana took advantage of a Walmart glitch and raided several stores of food and anything else you can imagine for several hours charging hundreds of dollars over their monthly limits. Well now, thanks to Senator David Vitter pushing to have the criminals who did this prosecuted, Governor Jindal has agreed and will go ahead with steps to have them prosecuted and have their Food Stamps stripped. Now watch the liberal media attack Jindal and Vitter for being racist for doing this to these oh so called poor minorities. What Jindal should do is expand the stripping of the food stamps to not only the Walmart looters but to all the abusers in the state. Don't y'all agree?

Jindal moves to strip food stamps from abusers | Home | The Advocate ? Baton Rouge, LA

The Jindal administration announced late Wednesday that it is moving to strip food stamps from recipients who took advantage of a technical glitch last month to stock up on free groceries.

The announcement came after U.S. Sen. David Vitter, R-La., pressured state officials to take action by taking away food stamp benefits and forming a task force with local prosecutors to bring criminal charges. Retailers lost money when they allowed food stamp recipients to leave their stores with groceries even though they could not check spending limits. When the transactions were processed later, thousands bounced back because recipients exceeded their food stamp balances.

Smartphone images of empty store shelves and bulging grocery carts at Wal-Marts in Springhill and Mansfield made national news.

The state Department of Children and Family Services said Wednesday that retailers across the state got 12,000 nonsufficient funds messages.

Woooo--hoooooo...

DancingGirl3.gif

Gotcha, thieves...

Good. Theft should be prosecuted. It's a crime

I don't see any liberals complaining about sanctions for those who commit food stamp fraud.

And, agencies that distribute food stamps have fraud units that prosecute people all the time.

Seems like this guy might have used this high profile opportunity to reap political benefits.

Since Food Stamps are Federal, does Piyush really have the authority to do this? Did Wal Mart keep accurate records of who exceeded their alotments?
A Federal program administered by the States, if I recall correctly. Yeah, I think they have the authority to censure cheaters.

I think that Vitter is on the right track. Next, he should initiate a law that would call for empeachment of any senator who breaks the law and pays prostitutes for sex...

I think that Vitter is on the right track. Next, he should initiate a law that would call for empeachment of any senator who breaks the law and pays prostitutes for sex...

I'm not really concerned with the prostitutes but that diaper thing... :eek:

I don't think criminal prosecution is either necessary or useful in this situation. Just permanently remove all the abusers from recipient eligibility. Prosecuting them would be costly.

Piyush will get lots of Tea Party votes for that stunt.

Do you agree with him for stripping them of their food stamps?

Not really.

What would be fair is to deduct the value of what they bought from their alotment.

If they have accurate records and you can trust that Wal Mart kept accurate records.

The blame here really belongs to Wal Mart. They know damned well that most people don't have thousands of dollars of credit on their cards and processed the transactions anyway.

Piyush will get lots of Tea Party votes for that stunt.

Do you agree with him for stripping them of their food stamps?

Not really.

What would be fair is to deduct the value of what they bought from their alotment.

If they have accurate records and you can trust that Wal Mart kept accurate records.

The blame here really belongs to Wal Mart. They know damned well that most people don't have thousands of dollars of credit on their cards and processed the transactions anyway.

They know damned well that they (the card holders) don't have thousands of dollars of credit on their cards and bought anyway.
Personal responsibility, and all that. They are lucky Walmart actually takes EBT cards, ya know.

And, of course Walmart has accurate records. It is the same system that rings up your items when using your debit or credit cards.

I don't think criminal prosecution is either necessary or useful in this situation. Just permanently remove all the abusers from recipient eligibility. Prosecuting them would be costly.

Less costly than having it happen again and the same thing occurrs. They will now be on notice not to try to scam the system as they will then be prosecuted.

Forum List

Back