Bored with Food... Suggestions?

For dessert:

One fresh-baked buttermilk biscuit (takes about 12 minutes)

Cover with chilled cherry pie filling (I prefer no sugar added)

Top with sour cream and finish by adding sliced almonds.

For dessert:

I will replace with blueberries.. hate cherries~

I will most likely go with the chicken stir fry Iceweasel recommended for tonight.
I have never cooked fresh fish, so, that will be something to experiment with another day.
I already finished my grocery shopping, but, there is always next week, but we are off on vacation Aug 8-16.

Thats the beauty of blackened fish.
It's extremely easy to cook. Get a cast iron pan really hot,coat the fish with clarified butter,sprinkle a good layer of blackening and throw em in the pan for two to three minutes per side depending on thickness....done.
Once you have the salsa the fish is easy.

Paul Prudhomme's blackening seasoning or equivalent.
Redfish Seasoning. It's the best, not too spicy and you can use it on everything instead of buying the different kind for different meats, fish..
I use diced mango,fine diced purple onion,fine diced jalapenos ,cilantro,lime juice and a little truffle salt though plain salt will do.
Diced red bell pepper adds extra sweetness and nice color with the crunch of freshness

I usually make my own blackening seasoning,I was trying to keep the ingredients under her maximum.
I'll add those on occasion myself,thats what I love about salsas,you can pretty much put what you want in em.

I have never cooked fresh fish,
yeah…. in Miami, no fresh fish… I understand, quite a land locked place

I'll be honest, I'm not much of a cook.
I am a spoiled single mom that married late in life, so, have been trying to be a good wife and cook for the last 13 years ;)
Sauteeing fish is easy… or grilling. Just be careful to have firm-flesh fish, otherwise it falls apart if you have less experience with them. Drop the fish into the hot pan with some fat (lard,oil, clarified butter - don't use whole butter but after the fish comes out for the pan sauce) when you see the flesh becoming white on the sides all around and coming toward the center (but not too far!!!!) flip the fish. It will take less time on the side down after flipping. Poke it with your finger and see if its firm enough but do not overcook, it gets dry and nasty. Then, if you used too much fat, get rid of most of it, add a little white wine (Chardonnay, Chablis, Pinot Grigio) squeeze of lemon, deglaze, add whole butter (swirl it in) it will thicken slightly.. pour over your fish… good stuff

I have never cooked fresh fish,
yeah…. in Miami, no fresh fish… I understand, quite a land locked place

I'll be honest, I'm not much of a cook.
I am a spoiled single mom that married late in life, so, have been trying to be a good wife and cook for the last 13 years ;)
Sauteeing fish is easy… or grilling. Just be careful to have firm-flesh fish, otherwise it falls apart if you have less experience with them. Drop the fish into the hot pan with some fat (lard,oil, clarified butter - don't use whole butter but after the fish comes out for the pan sauce) when you see the flesh becoming white on the sides all around and coming toward the center (but not too far!!!!) flip the fish. It will take less time on the side down after flipping. Poke it with your finger and see if its firm enough but do not overcook, it gets dry and nasty. Then, if you used too much fat, get rid of most of it, add a little white wine (Chardonnay, Chablis, Pinot Grigio) squeeze of lemon, deglaze, add whole butter (swirl it in) it will thicken slightly.. pour over your fish… good stuff

I had trouble with fish in my younger days until I discovered that fish like high heat.
Once you figure that out the rest is easy.

I'm going grocery shopping later this afternoon.
I'm so BORED with the food I normally get and want to try something NEW!
Are there any foods you love that you would recommend?

Anything! Snack, meat, veggie, dink a certain "dish"....help!!!!

Same here. I always buy the same things. Boring! But it does keep unwanted pounds off and is healthful for my body. Still.....so boring. *yawn*

It's my life's ambition to find a snack I can eat while watching TV that's delicious and low calorie (sweet or salty)
You are describing hot buttered popcorn.

Same here. I always buy the same things. Boring! But it does keep unwanted pounds off and is healthful for my body. Still.....so boring. *yawn*

It's my life's ambition to find a snack I can eat while watching TV that's delicious and low calorie (sweet or salty)

But, the kernels get stuck in your gums.. next...?

that's is so gross... jerk! I should smack you! but you might like it... are you related to Darkwind ?

No. Darkwind thinks he's God. I'm under no such illusion.

I wouldn't like the smack so much as the attendant .... uh, wrasslin' match. :D

So.............. if I ask you to smack me you will refuse.... ?

Not necessarily.

But you might have to beg.

do I seem like the begging type to you? ;)

Is a bear Catholic?

Here is one if you like soup. You make it with a can of Goya butter beans and fresh veggies. I also sometimes add either cooked ham or meat from one of those roasted chickens from the grocery deli when we don't want to eat vegetarian :)

Butter bean soup w/ Parmesan

2 tbsp Olive oil
1 small chopped onion
1 small chopped carrot
1 chopped celery stalk
2 chopped cloves garlic
1 15.5 oz can butter beans (undrained)
1 chicken bouillon cube
1/2 tsp rosemary
2 cups water
Parmesan cheese to taste

In sauce pan, sauté onion,carrot,celery and garlic in olive oil until onion is soft.

Add beans, bouillon, rosemary and water, simmer until heated through.

For thicker soup. Remove half of mixture and process in blender then add back to soup.

Serve topped with Parmesan cheese. Can also add parsley to garnish.

Makes 4 servings.

Nice. I've got butterbeans here, now I know what to do with 'em. Cool day too, soup might work.

I have butterbeans too.. wait, what... oh not a post to me, sorry, my bad! :)

Now wait your turn. BlueGin was the first to have an idea what to do with my butterbeans. :nono:
Next I'll tell you what to do with your zucchini :)

Oven Baked Zucchini Chips
IMGP5522-600x398.jpg

Prep time
10 mins
Cook time
30 mins
Total time
40 mins

Ingredients
  • ¼ cup dry whole wheat breadcrumbs
  • ¼ cup grated fresh Parmesan cheese
  • ¼ teaspoon seasoned salt
  • ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
  • ⅛ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • ¼ cup unsweetened almond milk (you could also use skim milk)
  • 2½ cups (1/4-inch-thick) slices zucchini
  • Cooking spray

Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
  2. Combine first 5 ingredients in a medium bowl stirring with a whisk.
  3. Place milk in a shallow bowl. Dip zucchini slices in milk and dredge in breadcrumb mixture.
  4. Place coated slices on an oven proof wire rack coated with cooking spray; place rack on a baking sheet.
  5. Bake for 30 minutes or until browned and crisped.
  6. Enjoy!

Wordpress Recipe Plugin by EasyRecipe

Here is my all purpose recipe for Cal-Mex filling for either raw or leftover cooked meat - can be used for tacos, wraps, salads.

1 lb chopped meat (raw or precooked - chicken, beef, pork)
olive oil
diced onion (medium)
chopped fresh tomatoes
diced mild green chile peppers (fresh or a small can of Ortega)
chile powder
cumin
tabasco sauce
salt

1. Heat a bit of olive oil in a frying pan.
2. If using raw meat, brown in the olive oil. If meat is already cooked, skip this step.
3. Add onion and cook for a bit.
4. Add tomatoes, chiles.
5. Season to taste with last four ingredients.
6. Assemble final dish with choice of taco shells, tortillas or over salad greens. Garnish with fresh veggies, cheese, guacamole, salsa, sour cream or whatever suits your fancy.

This is so easy and versatile. You can use this method and substitute other herbs and spices (i.e. Italian) for use over pasta and rice.

For dessert:

We do something similar.

Crescent rolls
Apple slices
Brown sugar
Nuts

Or

Crescent rolls
Nutella

Add ingredients on crescents and roll up...

Bake according to crescent pkg instructions.

But, the kernels get stuck in your gums.. next...?
Home made baked potato chips.

There are lots of good recipes floating around this section of the forum. I've posted several myself. Orange chicken, ribs with cherry glaze and homemade mac and cheese just to name a few! :)

There are lots of good recipes floating around this section of the forum. I've posted several myself. Orange chicken, ribs with cherry glaze and homemade mac and cheese just to name a few! :)
She doesn't like cherry… make it blue berry

Stay away from the frozen foods.

Try broccoli, kale, french cut beans, mushrooms, onion, bell pepper, garlic, peas. Put it in a wok or big pan and heat with olive oil (not extra virgin, smokes too soon). Fry up some chicken tenders or lean beef. Cook some brown rice. Put the rice on a plate, the veggies and then meat. Season with sea salt and fresh ground pepper.

There are many variations but I do about the same veggies nightly. You can throw some cheese on there, use quinoa instead of rice. Use cottage cheese instead of meat, or crushed nuts. Add guacamole, etc.

What's wrong with frozen food?

She doesn't like cherry… make it blue berry

Well, my recipe is for cherry. She can take it or leave it.

Forum List

Back