Beyonce Inflicts Unspeakable Horrors on Dolly Parton’s “Jolene”

You chose Beyonce( a black woman) and not Miley Cyrus (a white woman) who also recorded that song. All this hate for Beyonce is because she is black. You know and I know it
Rather telling that your first thought is the singer's race.

So don’t listen to it.
Don't worry, I won't, once was enough. But that doesn't stop us from commenting that it sucks. And it doesn't make us racist, contrary to your racist accusation.

Not my favorite song but her cover isn't the worst I have heard. Anyway, more power to her. If she can create revenue for and interest in classic country by people less familiar with it then it is a net good.

You chose Beyonce( a black woman) and not Miley Cyrus (a white woman) who also recorded that song. All this hate for Beyonce is because she is black. You know and I know it
Oh, ok, I get it now. You are a fucking moron.

Personally, I think Jolene got a bad rap in all of this.

The old man was probably the scoundrel the whole time.

Difference in the two different themes of the song, at least to me, is that in Dolly's version, she pretty much puts Jolene on a pedestal and pleads with her, whereas Beyonce's version is like, oh yeah, well I will whip that ass, biatch...

So, then, in Beyonce's version, Jolene is portrayed as the instigator.

In Dolly's version it sounds more like a jealous wife pleading because her old man is infatuated with some other chick.
That is an interesting interpretation. Thank you.

Forum List

Back