Country Throwback: Listen to 13-Year-Old Dolly Parton’s First-Ever Recording ‘Puppy Love’

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
Dolly Parton famously grew up in a tiny cabin in rural Tennessee with her brothers and sisters, but it’s clear even in recordings of her as a child that she would outgrow her situation.

One of those early examples is Puppy Love. It’s a short, cute B-side about the fickle nature of young love released in 1959 when she was only 13 years old. Parton actually wrote the song when she was 11 with her uncle Bill Owens. But it’s easy to tell this tiny little girl has got a big voice and a giant talent.

And her to-the-point, playful songwriting is there even in a song she wrote before she was a teenager. There are only two short verses, but they’re cute and fun and hint at a mind built for this kind of writing.

I am not a country music fan and never even owned any of her records/tapes/CDs. She had some crossover music that was on the radio occasionally. Nine to Five came out when I was a kid. She falls in to the national treasure category.

Last edited:
Dolly Parton famously grew up in a tiny cabin in rural Tennessee with her brothers and sisters, but it’s clear even in recordings of her as a child that she would outgrow her situation.

One of those early examples is Puppy Love. It’s a short, cute B-side about the fickle nature of young love released in 1959 when she was only 13 years old. Parton actually wrote the song when she was 11 with her uncle Bill Owens. But it’s easy to tell this tiny little girl has got a big voice and a giant talent.

And her to-the-point, playful songwriting is there even in a song she wrote before she was a teenager. There are only two short verses, but they’re cute and fun and hint at a mind built for this kind of writing.

I am not a country music fan and never even owned any of her records/tapes/CDs. She had some crossover music that on the radio occasionally. Nine to Five came out when I was a kid. She falls in to the national treasure category.

Not a "Country" fan either but how can you not respect this level of talent. Thanks for posting this.

I am not a country music fan and never even owned any of her records/tapes/CDs. She had some crossover music that on the radio occasionally. Nine to Five came out when I was a kid. She falls in to the national treasure category.

I wouldn't use "crossover music" in theze daze and timez. You may get mixed interpretation

I am not a country music fan and never even owned any of her records/tapes/CDs. She had some crossover music that was on the radio occasionally. Nine to Five came out when I was a kid. She falls in to the national treasure category.

She sounds sassy in that recording.

Forum List

Back