Zone1 Being Catholic means "eating shit" and smiling while eating it

Blackrook

Diamond Member
Jun 20, 2014
I'm Catholic, but when I go to a party I don't tell people.

So people say stuff about the Catholic Church in front of me they wouldn't say if they knew I was Catholic.

Jokes about priests diddling altar boys are standard-fare party humor.

Evangelicals talk about how it's too bad Mother Teresa went to hell, because, as we all know, Catholics are idolators who go to hell.

"Whore of Babylon" some say.

"The Pope is the Anti-Christ" say others. This happens no matter who is the Pope.

A young man explained to some friends how the Catholic Church hid a few Jews in the basement so they could lie and say they saved most of the Jews in Italy. They didn't, the young man is certain.

Priests and nuns have a secret tunnel so they can have sex with each other.

Nuns give themselves coat hanger abortions and flush their fetuses down the toilet.

I've heard it all.

So people say stuff about the Catholic Church in front of me they wouldn't say if they knew I was Catholic.

Evangelicals talk about how it's too bad Mother Teresa went to hell, because, as we all know, Catholics are idolators who go to hell.

"The Pope is the Anti-Christ" say others. This happens no matter who is the Pope.

A young man explained to some friends how the Catholic Church hid a few Jews in the basement so they could lie and say they saved most of the Jews in Italy. They didn't, the young man is certain.

Nuns give themselves coat hanger abortions and flush their fetuses down the toilet.

I've heard it all.

Then why be a Catholic?

If you're so embarrassed by the ineptitude of your own church....

Then why be a Catholic?
Abraham Lincoln was a tall man when top hats were in fashion--and when little boys loved throwing snowballs at them. Lincoln noted they always aimed for those that stood head and shoulders above the crowd.
The Catholic Church is like that. Its ideals and practices are head and shoulders above others--and it is human nature to take aim. The other part is that people are not interested in making things more difficult--but making things easier. Some of the other Christian denominations make things easier. Finally, 1/12 of the Apostles did not follow the Way Christ taught. Catholics, at 1.3 billion are the most numerous of all denominations, which means that we can expect 1/12 of them (or over 108 million) to be as bad as Judas.

Meanwhile, there are 100 million Baptists, 8 million less than bad Catholics. Divide a 100 million by 12 and we have another 8 million bad Christians. At 108 million, Catholics, by far, are the greatest target. We are the top hat and people take aim. And there are still 1.2 billion of us properly following the Way Jesus and the Apostles taught, living the faith. We are the boring folk who are seldom mentioned.

How many people can name all twelve apostles without looking?

Abraham Lincoln was a tall man when top hats were in fashion--and when little boys loved throwing snowballs at them. Lincoln noted they always aimed for those that stood head and shoulders above the crowd.
The Catholic Church is like that. Its ideals and practices are head and shoulders above others--and it is human nature to take aim. The other part is that people are not interested in making things more difficult--but making things easier. Some of the other Christian denominations make things easier. Finally, 1/12 of the Apostles did not follow the Way Christ taught. Catholics, at 1.3 billion are the most numerous of all denominations, which means that we can expect 1/12 of them (or over 108 million) to be as bad as Judas.

Meanwhile, there are 100 million Baptists, 8 million less than bad Catholics. Divide a 100 million by 12 and we have another 8 million bad Christians. At 108 million, Catholics, by far, are the greatest target. We are the top hat and people take aim. And there are still 1.2 billion of us properly following the Way Jesus and the Apostles taught, living the faith. We are the boring folk who are seldom mentioned.

Right, it's not the Catholic Church's fault these priests fiddle kids, it's not the Catholic Church's fault that the priests want to do this either..... it's just that people are throwing snowballs.

It's like saying Lincoln would have been hit by snowballs even had he not worn a top hat.

Yes, there are limited numbers of bad Catholics. Bad people everywhere. But what gets me is that the church covered it all up. Everywhere. Just wanted it to go away.

Stuff the little fuckers who got fiddled, not important, 'pparently.

That's the Catholic Church for you.

No. That is what the Catholic Church is to you, and it is something that was corrected decades ago.

Then, as now, most "diddling" occurs in families. How open were/are families about this? Are you just as scathing about families? Why not?

Right, it's not the Catholic Church's fault these priests fiddle kids, it's not the Catholic Church's fault that the priests want to do this either..... it's just that people are throwing snowballs.

It's like saying Lincoln would have been hit by snowballs even had he not worn a top hat.

Yes, there are limited numbers of bad Catholics. Bad people everywhere. But what gets me is that the church covered it all up. Everywhere. Just wanted it to go away.

Just curious... why is it that you hang around people like that?

No. That is what the Catholic Church is to you, and it is something that was corrected decades ago.

Then, as now, most "diddling" occurs in families. How open were/are families about this? Are you just as scathing about families? Why not?

Well, we'll see if the Catholic Church has managed to learn from this. The issue is why did it become a problem in the first place? What's the mentality going on there that allowed this to become a problem.

The second part has nothing to do with this conversation.

I've heard it all.

that's hard to believe - every thread blacky starts is about the catholic church ...

what's ever new that church, its congregations have been corrupt without interruption since the 4th century.

no different than the other two desert religions ...

Well, we'll see if the Catholic Church has managed to learn from this. The issue is why did it become a problem in the first place? What's the mentality going on there that allowed this to become a problem.
I have explained this over and over again. Sorry you missed it.

Indeed. I could have a LOT more respect for the organization, if instead of covering up the incidents of child molestation; they followed Christ's words that "It's better to have a millstone tied to a person's neck, and dropped into the sea, than to allow a child to be harmed".

So instead of whisking these child molesters off to a fresh new batch of children to molest...
They'd simply dispose of these sick fucks who not only molest children; bring shame to the Church itself.
"Where'd Brother Chester the Molester disappear to"?
Don't know...

I've heard it all.

You don't think the Catholic Church deserves every bit of abuse it takes over it's negligence regarding pedophile priests? I grew up Catholic, I knew you never wanted to leave kids alone around those guys.

Actually, if there was a Hell, Mother Theresa would probably deserve to go there for letting people die in her unsanitary hospice while she flew off to the Mayo Clinic for Cancer Treatment.

Watching Evangelicals and Catholics and Mormons attack each other over what God really wants makes me glad we live in a country where we have separation of Church and State, otherwise you'd all be killing each other over these dumb theological points.

Do Catholics believe they aren't targets of the fundies? :heehee: :heehee: :heehee:

Families don't engage in international conspiracies to cover it up, like the Church did with Cardinal Law being spirited to the Vatican to keep authorities from questioning him.

Or how Fr. Oliver O'Grady was moved around parishes in California for years without anyone being warned about his problem.

Matthew/Levi
Nathaniel/Bartholomew
James of Zebedee
John of Zebedee
Andrew
Simon Peter
Simon the Zealot
Phillip
James son of Alpheus
Thomas
Judas Iscariot
Another Judas

I didnt look up anything, now I will to see if I am right.
Oh, Matthias was voted in to replace Judas Iscariot, confirmed by lot against another guy.

What I named were DISCIPLES - there are more (like Paul) who were apostles without being “of the 12 disciples…

Indefinite number of apostles, which include Junia - who possibly was female.

The guy that lost by lot to Matthias, I forget his name, like a loser of the Super Bowl. Forgotten.

Jude, a half-brother of Jesus, just calls himself “brother of James” in the intro to his book.

It tears me up to see the cancer kids in the ads about St Jude’s hospital, just like the thirsting animals and even the limbless wounded warriors, my own fellow veterans.

Jesus Himself is the true Apostle of our faith.

Of all of us -Catholic and Protestant, Orthodox and Coptic.

I know nothing of Tewahedo Church, other than they have books in their NEW Testament which have never been translated into English.

I got all 12 disciples right.

Forum List

Back