Zone1 What if those guys who asked Jesus about Moses' laws about divorce hadn't found him?

Blackrook

Diamond Member
Jun 20, 2014
A bunch of guys, two thousand years ago, got together and said, "Hey, there's a new rabbi in town, named Jesus. Let's go ask him about Moses' laws about divorce."

They went to look for Jesus.

Now, please recall that in those days there were no cellphones, so these guys couldn't call Jesus and ask him where he was. They could not track him. They had to find Jesus the old-fashioned way, by looking around town, asking people where Jesus was.

I remember when you had to find someone that way, it was difficult and took time.

What if, these guys never found Jesus?

Or what if, he left town before they could find him?

And they forgot about asking Jesus about divorce and no one else ever thought to ask him?

Then I'd not have the quandary I have today.

Because these guys did find Jesus, and they asked him about Moses' laws about divorce, and he said, "Oh no, Moses gave into you because you have hard hearts. The truth is, divorce is always wrong because husband and wife are joined as one body since Adam and Eve that's been true. If you get a divorce, and marry another, that's adultery."

And because Jesus gave that new teaching, and it got into the Bible, the Catholic Church does not allow divorce and remarriage.

Leaving me without a Church because I'm not inclined to give up sex until I die decades from now.

I'm stubborn? I should give up sex if it means I get to heaven?

What if I join the Episcopalians? Maybe God lets Episcopalians into heaven even though they let people divorce and remarry?

I tried. I went to an Episcopalian Mass and I thought it was great. The clerical gowns, the altar, the candles, even the Eucharist, it all looked so Catholic I was very happy.

But then I got stupid and asked the priest about the Eucharist. Do the Episcopalians believe it is the True Presence of Christ?

"I do," said the priest, "but some in my parish think it's only a symbol."

"Really?"

"And that's OK with me."

Stupid me, asking such a stupid question.

I should have eaten their wafer and pretended it was really the Eucharist.

My problem is, I got to pick at that scab.

Leaving me without a Church because I'm not inclined to give up sex until I die decades from now.
Has your wife given up sex since leaving the marriage? Do you recall the exceptions Jesus gave when it comes to divorce?

Jesus always pointed to the ideal. It sounds like his words were directed at the person who wished to initiate a divorce.

Has your wife given up sex since leaving the marriage? Do you recall the exceptions Jesus gave when it comes to divorce?

Jesus always pointed to the ideal. It sounds like his words were directed at the person who wished to initiate a divorce.

The Jews had a get as far back as David and Bathsheba.

The Jews had a get as far back as David and Bathsheba.
Absolutely. I believe it was Moses who gave it the nod, although it may have been reluctantly. I am not clear on that part of it.

Please give an example of "blaspheming the Holy Spirit."
That's simple. The Holy Ghost can bring you a testimony witness that would put you in the presence of the Father and Son. If you deny them, that is denying the Holy Ghost testifying that vision you had. This could take place at the judgment seat as well. We can have our temper tantrums against the Godhead and that is not denying the Holy Ghost. That's being human in difficult times. But, when push comes to shove and there is the Father and Son in front of you, and you deny their glory and who they are, you have committed the sin against the Holy Ghost.

Please give an example of "blaspheming the Holy Spirit."
Put a matter before God for judgement, agree upon the terms, and then deny the outcome because it did not turn out the way that you were certain that it would.

Put a matter before God for judgement, agree upon the terms, and then deny the outcome because it did not turn out the way that you were certain that it would.
Heb. 10:29 – outraging the Spirit of grace, persistent sinning with full knowledge and no desire to repent); Blaspheming the Spirit (Mat.12:31-32 – ascribing the work of the Holy Spirit to the Devil, rejecting the testimony of the Holy Spirit. It also connotes speaking evil of the Holy Spirit and misusing his name. The consequence of blaspheming the Holy Spirit is grave. It deprives one of the forgiveness found only in Christ! So, Lucifer and a third of the hosts of heaven were sent packing from heaven to the earth never to receive a physical body which torments them. That's why they wanted the bodies of at least swine. They were in the literal presence of the Father and Son and still rejected them. What did they reject? They rejected making covenants and taking direction from the Father and the Son while in their presence. So, that would be with "full knowledge." For humans, to have full knowledge, the Holy Ghost has to open our eyes to see heaven with the Godhead for us to know for sure we made covenants with them. If we reject this vision, or any vision given to us by the Holy Ghost, with full knowledge we would be sinning against the Holy Ghost. Prophets who reject God who have seen visions are in this situation of possibly sinning against the Holy Ghost. The Apostles knew when Christ appeared to them in the windowless room after his resurrection. But, even before, Judas knew for sure as well. The good news is that before we die, we can always repent, but never deny the Christ if we have seen enough to know.

Jesus said what he did. I'm not sure how strict he demanded it. It is a very difficult covenent to maintain. I'm struggling with such decisions myslff though I am not catholic. We have to understand that our vows to God are critically important.

Jesus said what he did. I'm not sure how strict he demanded it. It is a very difficult covenent to maintain. I'm struggling with such decisions myslff though I am not catholic. We have to understand that our vows to God are critically important.
"What God has joined together, let no one separate." In the Catholic faith, one of the valid reasons for a marriage being dissolved is that one of the two never meant his/her vows to God and to the marriage, never lived them. (i.e., pretense was involved.)

My problem is I can't stop being Catholic. I was born in it, I learned it in school, I can't stop believing in it.

The Episcopalians will always be weak compared to the Catholic Church, because they've made so many compromises.

My problem is I can't stop being Catholic. I was born in it, I learned it in school, I can't stop believing in it.

The Episcopalians will always be weak compared to the Catholic Church, because they've made so many compromises.
There are other churches than Episcopalians. And, isn't your reason the same as the 12 Apostles? Yet, they were able to stop believing all of what the Rabbis were teaching because there wasn't any authority within the Rabinnical religion of the Jews and still isn't. Same with the Catholic Church. When did full emersion baptisms of accountable persons digress to sprinkling of babies?

Jesus was quoting the law. The law died on the cross. Divorce is not the unforgivable sin.
The law did not die on the cross. Jesus said he came to fulfill the law. The law he's referring to is the law of the atonement. We are to now repent to the Father in the name of the Son through the Holy Ghost. So, even the sinner in a divorce can ask for forgiveness and get back on the covenant path. The abused in the relationship did not sin and certainly should be able to remarry. Once the sinner is forgiven, then they also are back on the covenant path and able to remarry as well. Unless you want to limit the reach of the atonement of Christ? Even the vile sinners in the day of Noah saw Jesus come to preach to them in spirit prison. They were forgiven. So, since all ordinances can only be done on the earth, Paul even set the example that even baptisms for the dead can be performed (1Cor. 15:29). So can eternal marriages as well but have to be performed on the earth of those who have died, vicariously. Only one Church does this with authority from the Godhead. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Swallow your pride that you can't follow Jesus Christ in his true church. Just like the Apostles and disciples rejected the Jewish Rabbis religions and joined the Church of Jesus Christ in the Meridian of Time.

The thing I notice about the Catholic posters here is they stress the TRADITIONS of their church over the Word of God.

Jesus would say about that church you worship, "in vain do they worship Me, teaching as doctrine the TRADITIONS of MEN"

When I have biblical questions my first impulse is to look to th Word of God. I will consider the input of other human beings, but for me the Written Word is where I go for understanding -- not "what does my church tell me to think about this"

Forum List

Back