Ave Maria

Blackrook

Diamond Member
Jun 20, 2014
The song Ave Maria makes me cry every time I hear it.

If atheists are correct, and religion has brought nothing but harm to this world, then what about great religious songs like Ave Maria and Amazing Grace?

What about the beautiful cathedrals all over Europe?

What about the pyramids, the Temple of Athena, the mosques of the Middle East?

Can atheists admit that without religion, some of the most beautiful songs and buildings would not exist?

And that's not to mention the thousands of hospitals, charities, orphanages, and homes for the dying inspired by devotion to a religion.

Why do some atheists insist that all religion is bad?

If atheists are correct, and religion has brought nothing but harm to this world, then what about great religious songs like Ave Maria and Amazing Grace?

Can atheists admit that without religion, some of the most beautiful songs and buildings would not exist?

And that's not to mention the thousands of hospitals, charities, orphanages, and homes for the dying inspired by devotion to a religion.

Probably from inbreeding.

Ave Maria makes me think of murder every time I hear it. Sweet, beautiful, murder. Murder for the sake of murder.

Ave Maria makes me think of murder every time I hear it. Sweet, beautiful, murder. Murder for the sake of murder.

119.gif

With the exception of that piece, all the work that Schubert wrote is of a depressive nature.

What about the great non religious pieces of classical musik????

The nationalistic ring saga with it`s famous ride of the valkyries writen by the nationalist and antisemite Richard Wagner.

The Patrotic and imensly powerfull and beautifull 7th Leningrad symphony writen by Shostakovish to hail the Soviet Unions victory over nazi Germany.

Either you know nothing about classical musik, or ignore this on purpose. Musik has been composed by horrible people for horrible purposes, by good people for horrible purposes, by good people for good purposes and in the end it doesnt matter because it is and will always remain musik.

No. These places are cold, damp, boring and without anything within them that could ever attract anyone who doesnt wnat to see 400 year old art.

The Temple of Athena is only one building. The entire thing is called the Acropolis.

So what about the monument to Zeus? The colosus of Rhodes? The oracle of Delphi?

What? You never heard of them? Well, that is because they all got destroyed, despite supposed devine power.

In fact ISIS blew up a 2000 year old church only 1 month ago, which was a historical heritage site and the suposed grave of Jona.

A dishonest way of asking. Many things have unintended consequences.

Without Werner von Braun who used thousands of slave workers from nazi concentration camps to build V2 rockets that terrorised the UK and the Netherlands, the US would have never put a man on the moon.

Bad timing for that argument.

We only just had a scandal at a catholic ran hospital in germany last year, when it denied treatment for rape victims because "they might want to have an abortion".

I dont.

I just do not want to be ruled by them.

Well, it's too bad for you that you hate cathedrals. Your loss.

I dont hate cathedrals.

They are simply boring historical monuments that one simply gets use to over time.

Like an ancient Roman aqueduct, a medieval castle, a Roman theater or a 17th century palace.

Nice to see for the first time arround agreed, but not something so special that one gets a constant excitement out of seeing them.

I personally find cathedrals to be rather beautiful. I love how they are designed, and the art & sculptures. Same with many ancient Temples and megalithic monuments, Pyramids, etc.

It is all just... epic. I especially love structures that integrate astronomy, and the Solstices and Equinoxes, into their design.

And when the places are decorated with statues and/ or paintings of Gods, Demons, Angels, etc... I just love the ways humans have found to express their spirituality, their religion, or their inner moral conflicts.

Religion has contributed some very beautiful things to the World, and I am certainly thankful for it. These things have certainly made the World more interesting, which is awesome because the Earth, Nature, and humanity are all already fascinating as is.

I dont hate cathedrals.

They are simply boring historical monuments that one simply gets use to over time.

Like an ancient Roman aqueduct, a medieval castle, a Roman theater or a 17th century palace.

Nice to see for the first time arround agreed, but not something so special that one gets a constant excitement out of seeing them.
Well, you're bored with cathedrals, aqueducts, castles, Roman theaters, and palaces because you live in Germany. We have nothing like that here in Las Vegas. The oldest building here is the Mormon Fort, which is 150 years old. So if you're bored with where you live, I'd gladly switch places with you.

Have you ever heard Aaron Neville's version of Ave Maria?

Well, you're bored with cathedrals, aqueducts, castles, Roman theaters, and palaces because you live in Germany. We have nothing like that here in Las Vegas. The oldest building here is the Mormon Fort, which is 150 years old. So if you're bored with where you live, I'd gladly switch places with you.

Culture is more than historical landmarks
Yes, culture is also history, language, religion and societal norms. But you don't appreciate the fact that you are surrounded by history. So all that history is wasted on you. You might as well live here in Las Vegas, where there is no history at all. Life is unjust that I must live here in a cultural wasteland, while you live in Germany, surrounded by beautiful things you don't care about.

Yes, culture is also history, language, religion and societal norms. But you don't appreciate the fact that you are surrounded by history. So all that history is wasted on you. You might as well live here in Las Vegas, where there is no history at all. Life is unjust that I must live here in a cultural wasteland, while you live in Germany, surrounded by beautiful things you don't care about.

I never said that I didnt care about them.

I said that i got use to them.

And most cathedrals and churches are in fact ugly. Especialy the ones from the 12th century, which were designed as garrison fortresses.

I never said that I didnt care about them.

I said that i got use to them.

And most cathedrals and churches are in fact ugly. Especialy the ones from the 12th century, which were designed as garrison fortresses.
I would give anything to take a long vacation, and see all the things you don't care about.

Oh yeah. Does OP know this:

Beautifull yes.

But keep in mind that it was writen by Händel in Dublin during an era of Irish history known as "Protestant Ascendancy".

Protestant Ascendancy - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

After the various Irish rebellions against English rule, the British union forces a class of rich protestant landowners and protestant clergymen on the Irish. Who ruled over the land with an opressive iron fist and the attempt to undermine and destroy the catholic, celtic culture that had made up the Irish social frame work. Revolts were crushed and the ascendancy lived off the Irish people in luxury due to the high taxes that they had enforced on the powerless irish peasants and the confiscated land from the irish catholic nobility that had to flee to Spain and France.

The kind of luxury that made it able for this upper class to build an enormous opera and to afford one of the greatest composers of all time to write this for them.

Yes. beautifull musik. But really, if you think to much about the circumstances under which some of these pieces of art were writen, you will only end up spoiling them for yourself.

Guys, let's return to the topic - personal flames belong in the Flame Zone. Religion is moderated under Zone 2 rules - posts must contain material related to the discussion, ok?

Forum List

Back