CDZ As a Christian, what kind of nonsocial policies should I support?

CelloX

Rookie
Jun 9, 2016
I feel comfortable with the social policies I support (pro life and anti government marriage control. I support this because it allows us to not even need to debate about the whole gay marriage issue), but what do you think Christians should support in other areas of government policies?

Please note that this is meant for people who are very familiar with Christianity/the bible. Supporting your policies with bible verses would be appreciated.

Support for poor and sick. Tons of verses,but these are my favorite
Matthew 25:35-40 James 2:14-17 1 John 3:17 Galatians 6:2

I feel comfortable with the social policies I support (pro life and anti government marriage control. I support this because it allows us to not even need to debate about the whole gay marriage issue), but what do you think Christians should support in other areas of government policies?

Please note that this is meant for people who are very familiar with Christianity/the bible. Supporting your policies with bible verses would be appreciated.

I'm an agnostic, so your definition of 'familiarity' may not include us, but I would say the list of verses known as the 'Sermon on the Mount' , or the 'Beatitudes' by some sects, are obviously the critical ones to ponder for most believers, as it was his only major public speech meant for a large audience of 'regular folks'. Most of the rest of the New Testament was aimed at teachers and more educated Apostles and followers really.

As I'm not a 'literalist' re Biblical premises, we would probably have a lot of disagreements on what those verses actually meant in context and intent, though, so I won't parse them and derail your thread.

Last edited:

I'm an agnostic, so your definition of 'familiarity' may not include us, but I would say the list of verses known as the 'Sermon on the Mount' , or the 'Beatitudes' by some sects, are obviously the critical ones to ponder for most believers, as it was his only major public speech meant for a large audience of 'regular folks'. Most of the rest of the New Testament was aimed at teachers and more educated Apostles and followers really.

As I'm not a 'literalist' re Biblical premises, we would probably have a lot of disagreements on what those verses actually meant in context and intent, though, so I won't parse them and derail your thread.

Sadly, the politically motivated people who claim Christianity as an excuse for their selfish, hateful behavior tend to ignore the parts of the Bible that teach what I believe is the most important part of the entire book.

Sadly, the politically motivated people who claim Christianity as an excuse for their selfish, hateful behavior tend to ignore the parts of the Bible that teach what I believe is the most important part of the entire book.

I agree. For the 'record' I an admirer of Christianity and the radical social paradigm it generated where it was allowed to prosper, and have no animosity toward Christians, in case you think all agnostics are Dawkins cultists. I despise those dishonest sociopaths myself.

I agree. For the 'record' I an admirer of Christianity and the radical social paradigm it generated where it was allowed to prosper, and have no animosity toward Christians, in case you think all agnostics are Dawkins cultists. I despise those dishonest sociopaths myself.

I never had any doubt of the veracity of main stream Christianity and upon retirement I had time to study to be able to answer some of the hard questions non believers had. The more I studied, the more I realized that the bible doesn't say lots of the things that many claim it says. I don't know what is driving the Christian Right, but I now know it is not the teachings of Jesus.

Do you consider welfare and entitlements to fall under social or no social policies?

Deciding what government policies to support by "proof text" (Bible quotes) strikes me as simplistic and likely to produce some bad decisions. The Bible is not some kind of Magic Eight Ball that can be flipped open to answer life's questions. If that is what you want, try Tarot cards.

Christian churches and thinkers work to produce social teaching. These ideas start with Scripture and may include traditions and other supplementary sources and, indeed, can come up with praise or condemnation of specific legislation, but the specifics of how a Christian can be a good citizen depend on a number of factors and the Bible was not written as a political platform. I would suggest prayer and study. Fellowship under a wise pastor helps a lot too.

The whole concept of marriage is to enable the state to control it. So that when marriages take place and family units are formed, tax deductions can be taken. And when marriages fall apart, the distribution of assets, the care and custody of children, is decided, as are matters of support and maintenance.

You cannot separate marriage and the government. Marriage is NOT a religious concept, it's a secular concept based on the joining of two people in the wedding ceremony, and it involves certain legal requirements of both parties getting married.

Do you consider welfare and entitlements to fall under social or no social policies?

I would consider it under non social policies, as I guess I am not saying "social" so much as I am saying strictly "moral" policies.

The whole concept of marriage is to enable the state to control it. So that when marriages take place and family units are formed, tax deductions can be taken. And when marriages fall apart, the distribution of assets, the care and custody of children, is decided, as are matters of support and maintenance.

You cannot separate marriage and the government. Marriage is NOT a religious concept, it's a secular concept based on the joining of two people in the wedding ceremony, and it involves certain legal requirements of both parties getting married.

Well, even if that is so, could we at least agree not to force churches to accept or conduct gay marriage ceremonies?

Or maybe not classify it so much as a marriage, but rather a civil union so they get the same benefits as a marriage? I know it sounds homophobic, but the only reason I suggest this is because I don't think God would approve of such things.

Many people try to use the teachings of Jesus to justify wealth redistribution programs. However, as a christian, what types of charity should be the responsibility of churches and individual (christian) people, and what should be the resonsibity of the government?

Deciding what government policies to support by "proof text" (Bible quotes) strikes me as simplistic and likely to produce some bad decisions. The Bible is not some kind of Magic Eight Ball that can be flipped open to answer life's questions. If that is what you want, try Tarot cards.

Christian churches and thinkers work to produce social teaching. These ideas start with Scripture and may include traditions and other supplementary sources and, indeed, can come up with praise or condemnation of specific legislation, but the specifics of how a Christian can be a good citizen depend on a number of factors and the Bible was not written as a political platform. I would suggest prayer and study. Fellowship under a wise pastor helps a lot too.

I agree 100%. However, the right wing has defined their goals by specifics they use the bible to justify. Your common sense description of what should be is just not the way it is. The alternative is to counter their political/biblical claims with what they deem to be the ultimate authority. Bible scripture.

as a christian, what types of charity should be the responsibility of churches and individual (christian) people, and what should be the resonsibity of the government?

All types are rightly within the scope of work performed by governments and NGOs. The distinction between given by governmental entities and non-governmental ones has to do with the processes used to identify recipients, dole the benefits, measuring performance, etc.

as a christian, what types of charity should be the responsibility of churches and individual (christian) people, and what should be the resonsibity of the government?

All types are rightly within the scope of work performed by governments and NGOs. The distinction between given by governmental entities and non-governmental ones has to do with the processes used to identify recipients, dole the benefits, measuring performance, etc.
Are you familiar with David Crockett's Not Yours to Give speech?
Not Yours to Give |

No, that is not really true.

The distinction between government agencies and non-government ones is a matter of force. Governments do not operate with individual consent - take regardless of what the individual in question wants. Non-governmental entities operate with the full consent of those that are cooperating with them (or the government gets involved and puts people in jail).

That fundamental difference is rather large.

Many people try to use the teachings of Jesus to justify wealth redistribution programs. However, as a christian, what types of charity should be the responsibility of churches and individual (christian) people, and what should be the resonsibity of the government?

One of the practices Constantine admired about the Christian sects was their handling of social services for their community. They were far better at it than the pagan priesthoods and temples, so he had them put in charge of handling that for the government and the entire Empire.

The Christian philosophy is actually a very practical and sensible one, despite all the sniveling from both right and left wingers.

Probably the ones that make sense.

Firstly you should support Proportional Representation to stop the partisan nonsense that is taking the US downhill very quickly.

Secondly you should support better education. Sure, it's a state power for the most part, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't support it.
Also education should be skills based, based on the skills that the USA will need in the future, and it should be fair so that everyone gets a chance.

Forum List

Back