CDZ Are Some Cultures Better Than Others?

Liminal

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2015
In Your Face
Do our western traditions of open discussion and acceptance of new and different ideas create the conditions for successful societies? Are the virtues and attributes of western culture inherently superior to others?

There is no western tradition of acceptance of new and different ideas. Where did you get the idea that there was such a tradition? BTW to answer your question...no. Your culture is great if it achieves the goals you want. Those goals are different for each culture.

In what way?

Better at surviving and adapting to a changing world? Better at morality? Better at flourishing? How is such a judgement made?

Some cultures have been negated more than others. These tend to be what we call enlightened societies, because they have knocked off the cobwebs of tradition. Even parts of America are like this.

YES. The complete lack of pride in the culture of the West is absurd. The complete lack of understanding of the ascent of humanity is depressing. No, humanity has made no progress. We're all a bunch of primitives sitting around fires. Do you really think the culture of Amazonian rain forest tribes is equal to Western culture? Do you really think that just because we have so far to go that we haven't achieved anything?

Do we treat women better in Western society than they are treated in Islamic society? Yes. Are we perfect in our treatment of women? No. Are Enlightenment ideals superior to ideals derived from so-called "holy books". Yes. Have we achieved a perfect separation of church and state? No. Have we achieved a better separation than exists in Islamic culture? Yes.

Ideas are important. They may not be understood by everyone, but their existence is vital to social evolution.

There is no western tradition of acceptance of new and different ideas. Where did you get the idea that there was such a tradition? BTW to answer your question...no. Your culture is great if it achieves the goals you want. Those goals are different for each culture.
Western tradition toppled the Kings. Re-established democracy for the first time in 2,000 years. Those were new and different ideas, as were the discovery of vaccinations, atoms, etc. Yes, it took awhile for the old guard to accept the new ideas, but contrast that with China, where written language was kept as a state secret for centuries. I believe the OP is asking if this makes us "the greatest."
I say no. We have had some great ideas and great achievements, but so have other cultures. One doesn't have to play King of the Hill; it's a big planet.

Islamic culture and society is far superior to western culture. ...... :cool:

That depends upon one's POV. I am not at all compatible with Islamic culture and society.

The problem with Western culture is not that it is not superior, but that it has been supplanted within by inferior ideas.

Western tradition toppled the Kings. Re-established democracy for the first time in 2,000 years. Those were new and different ideas, as were the discovery of vaccinations, atoms, etc. Yes, it took awhile for the old guard to accept the new ideas, but contrast that with China, where written language was kept as a state secret for centuries. I believe the OP is asking if this makes us "the greatest."
I say no. We have had some great ideas and great achievements, but so have other cultures. One doesn't have to play King of the Hill; it's a big planet.
I dont understand how that was new or different or that they were the first to reestablished democracy? The got the idea of democracy from the Iroquois nation (already in practice) and the greeks. Western culture was also not the first to discover vaccines or discover the atom. Those discoveries were made long ago and many times before.

I got the feeling the OP wanted to establish that western culture was open to new ideas as a tradition when the facts are that its no more open to new ideas than other cultures.

How do I put this, let's see. Okay, forget the word "new" if that's what is bothering you. Western tradition has accepted change by examining, discussing and accepting different ideas on how to live, how to govern, even what is ethical and moral. Just because the Greeks had done it in 500 b.c. doesn't mean that democracy was not a very different and revolutionary concept for the 1700's European world. The great experiment of TRYING democracy was definitely a different way of viewing government, and the idea that slavery was no longer acceptable also grew out of Western culture's willingness to embrace different ideas over time. Yes the atom and the idea of vaccinations had been defined before, but I don't think you can deny that in the Western tradition, science has flourished and built upon discovery after discovery. Does Western culture deserve no respect whatever? I don't know a lot about other major cultures, and I agree we shouldn't be trying to make ourselves 'better' than the others, but we certainly don't need to poo-poo it either.

Nothing was bothering me. I was just wondering where you got the idea western culture was responsible for democracy or even the first to practice it after the Greeks. Lots of cultures accept change and openly discuss new and different ideas. I'm glad you brought up slavery because that kind of throws a monkey wrench in the whole democracy thing. The idea that slavery was an outdated tradition was tied to status and world power. It was not altruistic in the slightest. It was a necessary step in achieving world dominance. One could argue that it wasnt western culture but a hodge podge of other cultures that caused science to flourish.and build upon concepts already given to western culture by other other cultures. I dont take exception at the OP or you. I just know you are speaking from indoctrination.

Where? From reading actual history. Where do your perceptions come from? I'll bet I can guess.

Where? From reading actual history. Where do your perceptions come from? I'll bet I can guess.

The same place as yours.

Some cultures have been negated more than others. These tend to be what we call enlightened societies, because they have knocked off the cobwebs of tradition. Even parts of America are like this.

"enlightenment" is not hte absence of culture nor tradition.

I dont understand how that was new or different or that they were the first to reestablished democracy? The got the idea of democracy from the Iroquois nation (already in practice) and the greeks. Western culture was also not the first to discover vaccines or discover the atom. Those discoveries were made long ago and many times before.

I got the feeling the OP wanted to establish that western culture was open to new ideas as a tradition when the facts are that its no more open to new ideas than other cultures.
We'll address these questions later. For now I just wanted you to understand my perception of your position.

We'll address these questions later. For now I just wanted you to understand my perception of your position.

I didnt ask you a question so you wont be able to address anything. No need to tell me your perception. I see from your first post its malformed.

Nothing was bothering me. I was just wondering where you got the idea western culture was responsible for democracy or even the first to practice it after the Greeks. Lots of cultures accept change and openly discuss new and different ideas. I'm glad you brought up slavery because that kind of throws a monkey wrench in the whole democracy thing. The idea that slavery was an outdated tradition was tied to status and world power. It was not altruistic in the slightest. It was a necessary step in achieving world dominance. One could argue that it wasnt western culture but a hodge podge of other cultures that caused science to flourish.and build upon concepts already given to western culture by other other cultures. I dont take exception at the OP or you. I just know you are speaking from indoctrination.
Indoctrination? Oh I see, ordinary folks can't possibly view the world from your enlightened perspective.....you see through all that propaganda.
They could view the world from my enlightened perspective but as you know from experience its easier to just buy into what you were told like you are doing now by assuming any culture is superior.

Do our western traditions of open discussion and acceptance of new and different ideas create the conditions for successful societies? Are the virtues and attributes of western culture inherently superior to others?

you don't see the irony in asking if your culture is better for being open while rejecting the cutures of others?

Indoctrination? Oh I see, ordinary folks can't possibly view the world from your enlightened perspective.....you see through all that propaganda.

who says you're ordinary? or the norm?

This entire thread appears to be the logical fallacy of false presumption.

Forum List

Back