Can One Culture Be "Better" than Another?

I have seen, over the past months, many panel discussions and debates about the subject of whether Muslim culture is inferior or worse than, let's call it "Western, Judeo-Christian" culture. It may be that the Muslim culture that is in the public eye is Shia culture as opposed to Sunni culture. I don't know.

But the question also comes up when speaking of "indigenous" cultures in the America's, Australia, and elsewhere. "Who are we to come in and declare that our culture is superior?"

I think that there are certain characteristics of a culture that are not just desirable, but mandatory components of an acceptable culture, and any culture that lacks them is indeed "inferior." A few examples follow; a humane/acceptable culture must:
  • not tolerate cannibalism, slavery, or ritual killing,
  • protect vulnerable groups, such as children, women, the elderly, and the mentally incompetent,
  • treasure TRUTH as an essential value,
  • allow dissent, without punishment,
  • prohibit - with severe legal sanctions - theft in any form, or physical harm to others or their property,
  • treat women as independent moral agents, with control over their own bodies,
  • promote a well-defined family structure with appropriate legislation and sanctions for violation,
  • not wage war, or conduct war - even a "defensive" war - in a way that unduly and intentionally involves non-combatants.
For one reason or another, it is a Big Deal for some people to consider that cultures that impose sanctions for sexual irregulars are also "inferior," but that one is not on my personal list.

Beyond that, a society can collectively provide all sorts of things - food, shelter, healthcare, pensions for the elderly, and so on, but it seems to me that societies that do not at least conform to the standards set forth above should be shunned where possible. They should not be given memberships in international organizations like the U.N., NATO, etc. Further, civilized people should be willing to call out those societies for their intolerable traits, and not decline to do so because it might make them feel bad or because it might be considered "racist" or bigoted. Let the chips fall where they must.

Damn. Consider Trump.

I have seen, over the past months, many panel discussions and debates about the subject of whether Muslim culture is inferior or worse than, let's call it "Western, Judeo-Christian" culture. It may be that the Muslim culture that is in the public eye is Shia culture as opposed to Sunni culture. I don't know.

But the question also comes up when speaking of "indigenous" cultures in the America's, Australia, and elsewhere. "Who are we to come in and declare that our culture is superior?"

I think that there are certain characteristics of a culture that are not just desirable, but mandatory components of an acceptable culture, and any culture that lacks them is indeed "inferior." A few examples follow; a humane/acceptable culture must:
  • protect vulnerable groups, such as children, women, the elderly, and the mentally incompetent,
  • prohibit - with severe legal sanctions - theft in any form, or physical harm to others or their property,
  • promote a well-defined family structure with appropriate legislation and sanctions for violation,
  • not wage war, or conduct war - even a "defensive" war - in a way that unduly and intentionally involves non-combatants.
For one reason or another, it is a Big Deal for some people to consider that cultures that impose sanctions for sexual irregulars are also "inferior," but that one is not on my personal list.

Beyond that, a society can collectively provide all sorts of things - food, shelter, healthcare, pensions for the elderly, and so on, but it seems to me that societies that do not at least conform to the standards set forth above should be shunned where possible. They should not be given memberships in international organizations like the U.N., NATO, etc. Further, civilized people should be willing to call out those societies for their intolerable traits, and not decline to do so because it might make them feel bad or because it might be considered "racist" or bigoted. Let the chips fall where they must.
In the lifelong studies of a Toynbee this becomes obvious, Just as Beyonce might be okay , she is not Bach and to deny that is to make all matters of 'being okay' a matter of taste...which extends then to cannibalism , violence, stealing etc.

So when another culture sanctions "honor killings," and female "circumcision," slavery, and executes homosexuals, they are simply "different" from Western societies, but no worse?

You are a fool.

Are you talking about the evangelical missionaries who preached killing homosexuals in Uganda and Nigeria?

Obviously Judeo-Christian culture is far superior to Islamic, but then so is every other.

Obviously Judeo-Christian culture is far superior to Islamic, but then so is every other.

Well, Islam strives for a peaceful, civil society. Not much wild West individuality. They are also more concerned with victim's rights over the rights of the accused.

Where did you live in the Arab world? You must know all their countries are not alike.

Well, Islam strives for a peaceful, civil society. Not much wild West individuality. They are also more concerned with victim's rights over the rights of the accused.

Where did you live in the Arab world? You must know all their countries are not alike.
You don't see the tribalism of Islam in the west. Of course, Islamic communities in the west strive for a peaceful, civil society, but just beneath their skin is "Allahu Akbar" imposed by force if necessary.
Recall that their patriarch Ishmael was "a wild ass whose hand was against every man".

Are you talking about the evangelical missionaries who preached killing homosexuals in Uganda and Nigeria?
First of all, logically you are declaring any culture better than no culture, right
Secondly, better depends ultimately on a cultures view of the Good (and the True and the Beautiful) so you are asking for an internal opinion on what can only be external. Like asking a mother if their baby is beautiful.

Homosexuals should not be killed but it is still a perversion. I can see why you hate missionaries and that is okay with you and other hates are not. But , again, to say no homosexual was ever an evangelical or a missionary shows gay hatred in you. Very clearly

Do you realize that only in certain cultures can that question even exist.

If you were to ask someone in the 1940's if the US culture was better than the Nazi culture in Germany, you would have gotten an overwhelming YES!!

But if you ask the same question about the culture of the US in comparison to any culture with dark browned skinned people, or virtually any other country, you will get accused of racism and being xenophobic.
THere is a 3rd option I take to be correct,namely that skin color and culture are not intrinsic connections so why mention it at all.
WE do that in the US but
19.6 percent of African Americans have at least 25% European ancestry (equivalent of one grandparent)
AND
A record 15.1% of all new marriages in the United States were between spouses of a different race or ethnicity from one another.

IF they are all different, and they are, and any one of them has the idea of good and better,then it must be the case.
Now, 2 logic errors to avoid

That American culture (say of the Founding era) was better than most of the world is not to say 'less good" means 'bad"

The fact that the better cultures pass on things from millenia ago (by education, churches, families, language, etc) must mean that even within a culture there is the idea of advancement and hence of a better and worse culture.

They are only worse to you, or even myself because our culture has different values. So different as to be incompatible. Our civilization is no less abhorrent to them.
Well, what a damn surprise: Good hates Evil and Evil hates Good but according to you that is an equation.

Even within a culture it is proved that some are better,since we don't hand down everything from our ancestors but we perpetuate things from thousands of years ago because most people see that those things were better, It is the basis of education, eg, the handing down of what has been found better by the experience of millions of people over thousands of years.

It is hard to believe questioner believes in progress but has no conception of better and worse.

Forum List

Back