CDZ Are Some Cultures Better Than Others?

Nothing was bothering me. I was just wondering where you got the idea western culture was responsible for democracy or even the first to practice it after the Greeks. Lots of cultures accept change and openly discuss new and different ideas. I'm glad you brought up slavery because that kind of throws a monkey wrench in the whole democracy thing. The idea that slavery was an outdated tradition was tied to status and world power. It was not altruistic in the slightest. It was a necessary step in achieving world dominance. One could argue that it wasnt western culture but a hodge podge of other cultures that caused science to flourish.and build upon concepts already given to western culture by other other cultures. I dont take exception at the OP or you. I just know you are speaking from indoctrination.
Indoctrination? Oh I see, ordinary folks can't possibly view the world from your enlightened perspective.....you see through all that propaganda.

who says you're ordinary? or the norm?

This entire thread appears to be the logical fallacy of false presumption.
Seriously? You see no social development in the entire history of humanity? That's bizarre to me. The social evolution of the human race has been measured by the empowerment of the individual. The movement of power from the top. We have evolved from thinking leaders were gods to believing they ruled by divine right, to the Magna Carta, where the king was forced to share power, to the modern developments of the free press, which has lead to Gandhi and King and Biko and Walesa, putting true power into the hands of ordinary people.

Nothing was bothering me. I was just wondering where you got the idea western culture was responsible for democracy or even the first to practice it after the Greeks. Lots of cultures accept change and openly discuss new and different ideas. I'm glad you brought up slavery because that kind of throws a monkey wrench in the whole democracy thing. The idea that slavery was an outdated tradition was tied to status and world power. It was not altruistic in the slightest. It was a necessary step in achieving world dominance. One could argue that it wasnt western culture but a hodge podge of other cultures that caused science to flourish.and build upon concepts already given to western culture by other other cultures. I dont take exception at the OP or you. I just know you are speaking from indoctrination.
Indoctrination? Oh I see, ordinary folks can't possibly view the world from your enlightened perspective.....you see through all that propaganda.

That seems to be correct.

Do our western traditions of open discussion and acceptance of new and different ideas create the conditions for successful societies? Are the virtues and attributes of western culture inherently superior to others?

you don't see the irony in asking if your culture is better for being open while rejecting the cutures of others?

The times, they are a changin'........

Seriously? You see no social development in the entire history of humanity? That's bizarre to me. The social evolution of the human race has been measured by the empowerment of the individual. The movement of power from the top. We have evolved from thinking leaders were gods to believing they ruled by divine right, to the Magna Carta, where the king was forced to share power, to the modern developments of the free press, which has lead to Gandhi and King and Biko and Walesa, putting true power into the hands of ordinary people.
Of course there is social development though I disagree with your conflicting examples. Where did I say different? The false presumption of the thread comes in when one use the logical fallacy that some cultures are better than others. The whole thing rests on amusing belief that one culture can decide what is superior and what is not.

You can tell how much the rest of the world eschews western culture by the way they're all trying to emulate it.

You can tell how much the rest of the world eschews western culture by the way they're all trying to emulate it.
You can get anyone to emulate a culture when you market it as the best. Thats how they sell things here in the US. They convince you its the best and say your neighbor has it. Then you go out and try to emulate your neighbor.

However, they never tell you that other people think its a crock.

Last edited:

That doesn't mean that it is better, which you still haven't defined.

Lots of people support Trump and that doesn't mean he is better.

It cracks me up that he bristles at the term "indoctrination" but he is using the logical fallacy that since "most people" say its so then its true. :laugh:

You can get anyone to emulate a culture when you market it as the best. Thats how they sell things here in the US. They convince you its the best and say your neighbor has it. Then you go out and try to emulate your neighbor.

If only more people had that kind of insightful vision we could narrow down all the reasons for injustice to just one or two external causes for everything. Wouldn't that be nice.

I think we can easily measure the accomplishments of Western Civilization and compare them with the history of other cultures.

If only more people had that kind of insightful vision we could narrow down all the reasons for injustice to just one or two external causes for everything. Wouldn't that be nice.

We can do that now. Normally the root cause is abject fear in some form of another. Typically this fear manifests itself as needless self promotion attempting make oneself feel superior. We know this because people that are confident in themselves have no need to do these fear driven comparisons that result in injustice.

I think we can easily measure the accomplishments of Western Civilization and compare them with the history of other cultures.
How can you do that when western culture is derived from other cultures?

How can you do that when western culture is derived from other cultures?
Is that a one way exchange? Obviously there's an interchange of cultures throughout history. Or does that conflict with the PC version? No doubt the PC world believes Western Civilization is merely the result of cultural appropriation.

We can do that now. Normally the root cause is abject fear in some form of another. Typically this fear manifests itself as needless self promotion attempting make oneself feel superior. We know this because people that are confident in themselves have no need to do these fear driven comparisons that result in injustice.
Can we? I'm sure some people can.

Forum List

Back