Are Joe Biden's gaffes related to a lifelong stuttering problem?

The Democratic presidential candidate’s gaffes may be rooted in a little-understood disability.

Some have been quick to question Biden’s mental fitness, hinting at a possible age-related cognitive decline (he just turned 77 years old), but it’s important to consider that many of those missteps could have been caused by his lifelong struggle with a speech impediment.

NYU speech pathologist Eric S. Jackson explains, “Stuttering can be thought of as a neurobiological ‘glitch’ — broadly speaking, the neural processes that are involved in speech, at times, don’t function like those in non-stuttering speakers. The glitches manifest themselves as intermittent and somewhat unpredictable interruptions in speech, typically repetitions of syllables or audible/inaudible prolongations of sounds. The speaker knows precisely what he or she wants to say, but in that moment, their body temporarily prevents them from producing speech.”

Stuttering is recognized as a disability under the Americans with Disabilities Act. While Biden’s verbal missteps don’t cast him any favors on the debate floor, just him being a person with a speech impediment running for the highest office in the country is a powerful reminder for young people who may feel limited by their disabilities.

“If I could share one piece of advice with all of those struggling with a stutter, it would be this: When you commit yourself to a goal and when you persevere in the face of struggle, you will discover new strengths and skills to help you overcome not only this challenge, but future life challenges as well. I promise you — you have nothing to be ashamed of, and you have every reason to be proud,” Biden penned in a 2015 letter to the Stuttering Foundation of America.

It's not nice to ridicule people with speech impediments. What do you think?
/———/ If that’s the case, he’s not fit to be president. His gaffes could trigger international incidents. Imagine the gibberish he could spout during intense negotiations. Nice try with the shaming but Dementia Joe is past his prime.

I know. I wonder what Joe was trying to say when he "stuttered" that kids like to pet his hairy legs. Imagine he's talking to Putin and tries to say it's a nice day and "stutters" out that we fired nuclear warheads at Moscow. Oops ...

The Democratic presidential candidate’s gaffes may be rooted in a little-understood disability.

Some have been quick to question Biden’s mental fitness, hinting at a possible age-related cognitive decline (he just turned 77 years old), but it’s important to consider that many of those missteps could have been caused by his lifelong struggle with a speech impediment.

NYU speech pathologist Eric S. Jackson explains, “Stuttering can be thought of as a neurobiological ‘glitch’ — broadly speaking, the neural processes that are involved in speech, at times, don’t function like those in non-stuttering speakers. The glitches manifest themselves as intermittent and somewhat unpredictable interruptions in speech, typically repetitions of syllables or audible/inaudible prolongations of sounds. The speaker knows precisely what he or she wants to say, but in that moment, their body temporarily prevents them from producing speech.”

Stuttering is recognized as a disability under the Americans with Disabilities Act. While Biden’s verbal missteps don’t cast him any favors on the debate floor, just him being a person with a speech impediment running for the highest office in the country is a powerful reminder for young people who may feel limited by their disabilities.

“If I could share one piece of advice with all of those struggling with a stutter, it would be this: When you commit yourself to a goal and when you persevere in the face of struggle, you will discover new strengths and skills to help you overcome not only this challenge, but future life challenges as well. I promise you — you have nothing to be ashamed of, and you have every reason to be proud,” Biden penned in a 2015 letter to the Stuttering Foundation of America.

/———/ If that’s the case, he’s not fit to be president. His gaffes could trigger international incidents. Imagine the gibberish he could spout during intense negotiations. Nice try with the shaming but Dementia Joe is past his prime.

I know. I wonder what Joe was trying to say when he "stuttered" that kids like to pet his hairy legs. Imagine he's talking to Putin and tries to say it's a nice day and "stutters" out that we fired nuclear warheads at Moscow. Oops ...

It sounds like more like a type of Tourette's syndrome than "stuttering" to me. If elected, Sleepy Joe would be the first President afflicted with that disability.

• Thanks
Reactions: kaz

No it's because he's old and senile.

Just because someone is old and senile doesn't mean that they are useless or ready for the grave. They can still have moments of lucidness and share entertaining tales about their confrontations with their arch-nemesis Corn Pop as a youth.

But that doesn't mean they are qualified for the Presidency.

If you can't win on your record? you win on polices,
if you can't win on polices?
Just call the other guy mad and hope people believe you...

Joe Biden has a stammer and is also discussing complex issues at a high level.
Trump speaks like an 8 year old compared to him.

Biden defended America against Ebola & Zika... Trump saw COVID and ran...

Its not a stuttering problem its a lifelon liar problem...hes trying to remember what he said the last time so he doesnt get caught in another.

Look anyone can see his clarity of mind is gone and he has severe short term memory and possibly onset dementia...he is not capable of being potus

You know who can't keep their lies straight, tramp.
/——/ What lies?

Is that the best you could do ?

Its not a stuttering problem its a lifelon liar problem...hes trying to remember what he said the last time so he doesnt get caught in another.

Look anyone can see his clarity of mind is gone and he has severe short term memory and possibly onset dementia...he is not capable of being potus

/——/ What lies?

I would have said much worse :)

Remember the old days when Biden was young and senile?

Did Crazy Joe stutter once in this minute long string of lies about his education?

Not a Trump thread, Puddinhead.

/——/ What lies?

The lies everyday, and the hyperbole.

Did Crazy Joe stutter once in this minute long string of lies about his education?

He said that in 1988, and he got a double degree and went to law school , what have you done.

Besides do you still punish your kids for something they done in 1988, you have problems if you do.

Some people just have mental train wrecks from time to time. Lord knows I do. I wonder how many "gaffes" any of us would have if we had to answer tough questions on camera all day every day?
When was the last time Crazy Joe answered a tough question?

/——/ What lies?

He said that in 1988, and he got a double degree and went to law school , what have you done.

Besides do you still punish your kids for something they done in 1988, you have problems if you do.

That's the best spin you can come up with? No stuttering, blatant lies....one after another. Nothing but bullshit claims.

Try harder next time.

Joe Biden is a dementia-suffering old rich elitist white guy sadly being used by the DNC, trotted out like a prize pig, handled, and returned to his bunker.

Is the way he sniffs a life long smell impediment as well?

/——/ What lies?

Im a brain surgeon Penny and you have to do better than attack me when i demonstrate that biden is a tard and a big fibber and is very close to being brain dead and cant do the job of Potus

/——/ What lies?

That's the best spin you can come up with? No stuttering, blatant lies....one after another. Nothing but bullshit claims.

Try harder next time.

ROFL and reading your post its void of anything tangible and anything close to being intelligent
Biden is a tard you cant change that denigrating my thread...Biden is the stereoptypical dumbass

/——/ What lies?

You forgive no Republican ever of anything because it happened before 1988. You're a flaming hypocrite

Some people just have mental train wrecks from time to time. Lord knows I do. I wonder how many "gaffes" any of us would have if we had to answer tough questions on camera all day every day?

Sleepy Joe doesn't get "tough questions". Answering Cardi B's interrogation about how many grandchildren he has isn't "tough".

He even refuses to go on the news programs with friendly reporters like Stephanopolous and Todd and Maddow where they would ask him if he is a briefs man or wear boxers.
Answering Cardi B's interrogation about how many grandchildren he has isn't "tough".

Did he guess it right?

/——/ What lies?

You forgive no Republican ever of anything because it happened before 1988. You're a flaming hypocrite

Do you punish your kids for something they said 32 years ago??

Forum List

Back