AP: Half of U.S. pays no federal income tax

I have children... my best friend has children.. my neighbor has children.. my brother has children.. my sister has children... and we all pay income taxes.... now my other brother is a pothead piece of scumbag shit who barely earns enough to get by, he does not pay income taxes and the sorry sack of shit leeches off the system... funny.. it's about the income, not the kids

You are wrong. The $1000 child tax credit, which OBVIOUSLY taxpayers without kids don't get, takes 1000 bucks per child (with rules and limitations) right off the top of parents' tax bill. You make what I make, you got a couple kids, you pay 2000 less in taxes than I do. Not to mention the many other child related tax reductions that you are entitled to.

It's an indisputable fact. I don't know why you're trying to dispute it.

Oh yes, I do, because people with children and getting massive tax breaks because of them look somewhat silly trying to argue that their taxes are too high.

You are grossly misinformed about the financial benefits of children. If you want, take a little informal survey. Pick up a can of formula and 48 count bag of diapers at the grocery store next time. Call a daycare center and find out what that runs a week. Find the cheapest four year college in your state. Call your insurane agent and ask what it costs to add a 16 year old to the policy.

So what? You should have thought of all that when you had kids. What does any of that entitle you to get your government for less than someone without kids gets it? Why should we have to buy your government?

btw the topic is taxes, and why so many people pay no taxes. Kids are the main reason.

Children make the big difference.

children can only be deducted if you make UNDER a certain amount. Once you reach the magic number, you can no longer deduct children.

And children cost money.

Bingo

I had no deduction this year... which is why I must talk with my ex on working out a deal for her to claim both

And what this guy does not seem to grasp is that it is not the child deduction that is the major cause... but the lower income... and the absurd fact that the current system has some at lower incomes not paying income taxes or having income tax liability

You're wrong. If you eliminate the chld tax credit, thousands of households WOULD start paying federal income taxes.

So since you anti-tax conservatives have ironically (and delightfully I might add) now revealed that what you really want to do is raise taxes on lower income Americans while cutting taxes for higher income Americans, well,

you should get the GOP to run on that platform!

No Us Conservatives believe that everyone in this country should share in the financial burden of the Federal Government. Then maybe when the "poor" people start paying taxes, then maybe their eyes will be opened as well to the wasteful and un-needed spending that goes on in Washington. So its not as easy as you put it with reducing for the rich and increasing for the poor, its called lets put everyone on a level playing field!!

children can only be deducted if you make UNDER a certain amount. Once you reach the magic number, you can no longer deduct children.

And children cost money.

Bingo

I had no deduction this year... which is why I must talk with my ex on working out a deal for her to claim both

And what this guy does not seem to grasp is that it is not the child deduction that is the major cause... but the lower income... and the absurd fact that the current system has some at lower incomes not paying income taxes or having income tax liability

You're wrong. If you eliminate the chld tax credit, thousands of households WOULD start paying federal income taxes.

So since you anti-tax conservatives have ironically (and delightfully I might add) now revealed that what you really want to do is raise taxes on lower income Americans while cutting taxes for higher income Americans, well,

So why should one household with children not have to pay taxes, but other households with children should?

Your rant is full of holes.

And no, we do not want our taxes lowered. You made that up. We do not want our taxes increased while there are many out there not contributing their share.

[So why should one household with children not have to pay taxes, but other households with children should?

And no, we do not want our taxes lowered. You made that up. We do not want our taxes increased while there are many out there not contributing their share.

What holes?

And how do you know what 'we' want? Who are you the spokesman for?

No Us Conservatives believe that everyone in this country should share in the financial burden of the Federal Government. Then maybe when the "poor" people start paying taxes, then maybe their eyes will be opened as well to the wasteful and un-needed spending that goes on in Washington. So its not as easy as you put it with reducing for the rich and increasing for the poor, its called lets put everyone on a level playing field!!

Who do you speak for with that 'us' business?

[So why should one household with children not have to pay taxes, but other households with children should?

What holes?

And how do you know what 'we' want? Who are you the spokesman for?

Not going to fall into your game of spin and parsing words. So dont even try with me.

In one line, I explained why your rant was full of holes. You decided to ignore it. Your choice.

Level playing field means the guy making what I'm making who has 4 kids pays the same federal taxes I do, with no kids.

Are you on THAT 'level playing field'?

Who else wants that 'level playing field'?

Who do you speak for with that 'us' business?

He speaks for us conservatives that think like conservatives.

You just dont wish to believe it. Your choice.

i think it should be the opposite....

We already know the Elite rule the decisions in washington, with their very highly paid lobby firms and the money they give to congressmen and senators for their reelections and so forth...we already know the elite and wealthiest fund all of the THINK TANKS out there that our congress uses for statistics and analysis....

Here goes....:D

So in my opinion, the only ones paying taxes should be the very elite, the ones who control congress anyway....the very wealthy.

If this were the case, and it was only their personal fortunes funding the government....YOU COULD BE DARN CERTAIN that congress would NOT be spending frivolously....because the powers to be, the wealthiest who were responsible for paying the taxes, would make certain Congress walked the line on what they spent in the budget.

And spreading out the tax burden on to all of us, instead of the few, is what actually prompted congress to spend more and more and more and more, verses back when there was no income tax that mattered on the poor and middle class and the wealthiest paid 90% marginal rate, in taxes above a certain level of their income.

hahahahaha

ok, I am awaiting the bombardment! :eek:

You are wrong. The $1000 child tax credit, which OBVIOUSLY taxpayers without kids don't get, takes 1000 bucks per child (with rules and limitations) right off the top of parents' tax bill. You make what I make, you got a couple kids, you pay 2000 less in taxes than I do. Not to mention the many other child related tax reductions that you are entitled to.

It's an indisputable fact. I don't know why you're trying to dispute it.

Oh yes, I do, because people with children and getting massive tax breaks because of them look somewhat silly trying to argue that their taxes are too high.

You are grossly misinformed about the financial benefits of children. If you want, take a little informal survey. Pick up a can of formula and 48 count bag of diapers at the grocery store next time. Call a daycare center and find out what that runs a week. Find the cheapest four year college in your state. Call your insurane agent and ask what it costs to add a 16 year old to the policy.

So what? You should have thought of all that when you had kids. What does any of that entitle you to get your government for less than someone without kids gets it? Why should we have to buy your government?

btw the topic is taxes, and why so many people pay no taxes. Kids are the main reason.

Cause without future taxpayers, the government's gone.

Level playing field means the guy making what I'm making who has 4 kids pays the same federal taxes I do, with no kids.

No. That is your way of seeing a level playing field.

According to your logic, a level playing field would mean all poay the exact same tax regardless of income, children, write offs, etc.

And yes, most if not all conservatives would certainly agree with that.

My my my. Arent you full of questions today.

Maybe you finally want to learn how those that think differently than you think as they do?

I applaud you for it.

That is exactly what I meant by a level playing field. Every household shares the same burden, as in every tax payer shares in the same burden for taxes. Maybe then you would realize how many useless, non-working forms of government assistance and wasteful spending in the form of PORK projects, etc. I mean if we have medicare and Social Security for our Seniors, Just because I may make a few bucks more than you, means I should pay more for Grandma Sally's health insurance?

Plus what you are failing to realize is buy broadening the scope of who pays taxes and how the taxes are collected, everyone's taxes actually would probably be reduced. Look at the average cost the government is "Collecting per household" and you would be astonished at the current cost figures.

everyone could all pay equal amounts in taxes, that will not stop congress from spending it...or on spending it on things that favor some over others so i really don't see reforming the tax structure as any means to ''change'' this.....

everyone could all pay equal amounts in taxes, that will not stop congress from spending it...or on spending it on things that favor some over others so i really don't see reforming the tax structure as any means to ''change'' this.....

That is exactly right which is why I am of an apparently small club that wants to bust the federal government back to its constitutional roots. If the Federal government took care of ONLY that mandated to it via the Constitution and relegated the rest to the states to handle, it would need a tiny fraction of the monies it now takes in.

The states and local communities would need more, of course, but overall they would need less than what we now pay to the states and federal government as so much of that siphoned off by the bureaucracy and the opportunistic benevolence built into the system would be eliminated.

• Thanks
Reactions: blu

That is exactly right which is why I am of an apparently small club that wants to bust the federal government back to its constitutional roots. If the Federal government took care of ONLY that mandated to it via the Constitution and relegated the rest to the states to handle, it would need a tiny fraction of the monies it now takes in.

The states and local communities would need more, of course, but overall they would need less than what we now pay to the states and federal government as so much of that siphoned off by the bureaucracy and the opportunistic benevolence built into the system would be eliminated.

I am with you here.

On a couple of the cable news channels last night, they were exploring the federal budget vs federal income. They reported that taxes only generated enough to cover 60% of the federal budget and the rest was borrowed.

And children cost money.

Bingo

Here's where you are trying to blur the line between the Democrat child tax credit and the EXEMPTION given to head of households and marriages that have children in them.

Now tell me why you are against the Child Tax Credit as it was signed into law in 1997, amended in 2001, 2003 and 2008 increasing the credit each time. The Democrats LOWERED the threshold income in 2008 thus expanding the eligibility pool....why do you hate that fact?

That is exactly what I meant by a level playing field. Every household shares the same burden, as in every tax payer shares in the same burden for taxes. Maybe then you would realize how many useless, non-working forms of government assistance and wasteful spending in the form of PORK projects, etc. I mean if we have medicare and Social Security for our Seniors, Just because I may make a few bucks more than you, means I should pay more for Grandma Sally's health insurance?

Plus what you are failing to realize is buy broadening the scope of who pays taxes and how the taxes are collected, everyone's taxes actually would probably be reduced. Look at the average cost the government is "Collecting per household" and you would be astonished at the current cost figures.

As a tax payer, I don't have a problem with the truly poor not paying taxes. The portion of the 50% that I worry about are middle and upper class people who through manipulations and loopholes get their taxable income low enough to not pay any taxes.

Forum List

Back