Anyone ever had Goose?

I've never had it, seen it offered on a restaurant menu or served at anyone's home or for sale at the supermarket.
Just wondering what domestic goose tastes like and why it seems to be shunned, at least in the Northeast?

(I had wild goose, once, smoked, at a Christmas buffet. That's not what I'm talking about, though.)

I ate foie gras at a wedding I attended in the south of France a few years ago, but I've never actually eaten a whole cooked goose before.
On one of the islands 25,30 years ago had lion steak ,,,,UGH

Ohhh, and how was that? Details!
Couldn't believe it was offered Tough piece of meat Remember they had bear salad too but I stopped with the steak Think it was on St Martin
My guess is they're not serving lion steak anywhere anymore, being they're pretty much endangered. You are the closest I've come to knowing of someone who has eaten cat.

I've never had it, seen it offered on a restaurant menu or served at anyone's home or for sale at the supermarket.
Just wondering what domestic goose tastes like and why it seems to be shunned, at least in the Northeast?

(I had wild goose, once, smoked, at a Christmas buffet. That's not what I'm talking about, though.)

I ate foie gras at a wedding I attended in the south of France a few years ago, but I've never actually eaten a whole cooked goose before.
On one of the islands 25,30 years ago had lion steak ,,,,UGH

Ohhh, and how was that? Details!
Couldn't believe it was offered Tough piece of meat Remember they had bear salad too but I stopped with the steak Think it was on St Martin
My guess is they're not serving lion steak anywhere anymore, being they're pretty much endangered. You are the closest I've come to knowing of someone who has eaten cat.

The guy who got me started hunting ate mountain lion when he could get it. He loved it and said it was like veal.

I didn't realize goose was bigger than a turkey. I suppose the biggest bird you can find is what you want when you're feeding all the relatives, so that makes sense. Lucy says look for the small ones, though, if you want tender.

We are a mix of Scottish, English, and Iraqui/arab so it gets awesome at big family meal time here. I’m the youngest of 8 and the seven other kids have at least three kids and the family is bigger across the pond. Last thanks giving was two turkeys and a prime rib.

And, if you were there, one horse's ass.
Let's leave grudges out of this, Unk; alright?

Please. It would be cool to talk about food without all the sucker punching. I’ll apologize for my part to Unkotre, but damn, .
One slip in six pages isn't bad for around here. We'll ignore it I hope.
Does your family serve Arab dishes at Thanksgiving as well? My stepdad's family was Swedish and as well as the turkey, they always served that pickled herring stuff and some other Swedish delicacies that tbh I never liked.

My mother is from Singapore and she makes offal (sounds like awful and is), particularly intestines or tripe.

Cooking Offal in Southeast Asia

We are a mix of Scottish, English, and Iraqui/arab so it gets awesome at big family meal time here. I’m the youngest of 8 and the seven other kids have at least three kids and the family is bigger across the pond. Last thanks giving was two turkeys and a prime rib.

Please. It would be cool to talk about food without all the sucker punching. I’ll apologize for my part to Unkotre, but damn, .
Does your family serve Arab dishes at Thanksgiving as well? My stepdad's family was Swedish and as well as the turkey, they always served that pickled herring stuff and some other Swedish delicacies that tbh I never liked.

My mother is from Singapore and she makes offal (sounds like awful and is), particularly intestines or tripe.

Oh, poor poor you! I have never had it but from the sounds of it, I wouldn't even want the smell of it in the dining room.

I had dog once, but I couldn't really say how it tasted. It was tender enough. Just meat.

Oh, poor poor you! I have never had it but from the sounds of it, I wouldn't even want the smell of it in the dining room.

Tripe is delicious, and traditionally eaten almost everywhere.

I don't know what corner of hell duck sauce is from, but I never suffered anything like that in China.

I don't know what corner of hell duck sauce is from, but I never suffered anything like that in China.

Yup. It was invented to make Americans like Chinese food. Kind of like how we did mustard and ketchup.

Duck sauce - Wikipedia

Duck sauce (or orange sauce) is a condiment with a sweet and sour flavor and a translucent orange appearance similar to a thin jelly. Offered at Chinese-American restaurants, it is used as a dip[1] for deep-fried dishes such as wonton strips, spring rolls, egg rolls, duck, chicken,[2] fish, or with rice or noodles. It is often provided in single-serving packets along with soy sauce, mustard, hot sauce or red chili powder. It may be used as a glaze on foods, such as poultry.[3] Despite its name the sauce is not prepared using duck meat.[4]

Taste good.

Americans shun stuff that is good...

Not so much in this neck of the woods. If we run out of meat we go dig clams, not eat intestines.
I guess it's what you get used to, though. In the south, chitlins is very popular with some. I just wouldn't want it at the Thanksgiving table myself.

Taste good.

Americans shun stuff that is good...
I'm definitely not shunning goose. I've never had a chance to try it.

I love sauces, especially when they are a combo of sweet and spicy.
The problem I find is that sweet and sour is 98% sweet. There's no balance. Really good sweet and sour, I agree, is super good on your favorite food--chicken.

I love sauces, especially when they are a combo of sweet and spicy.
The problem I find is that sweet and sour is 98% sweet. There's no balance. Really good sweet and sour, I agree, is super good on your favorite food--chicken.

Not necessarily sweet and sour. There are other hot and sweet sauces that really are hot and sweet, like honey chipotle. I also make my own glaze for chicken thighs and I make it sweet with ketchup and brown sugar and honey and a few other ingredients, and then I add some hot pepper flakes to it so it's spicy and sweet. I like that combo a lot.

Not so much in this neck of the woods. If we run out of meat we go dig clams, not eat intestines.
I guess it's what you get used to, though. In the south, chitlins is very popular with some. I just wouldn't want it at the Thanksgiving table myself.

Beef tripe stew is an old traditional dish in New England (and pretty much everywhere else).

Forum List

Back