Anyone ever had Goose?

OldLady

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2015
I've never had it, seen it offered on a restaurant menu or served at anyone's home or for sale at the supermarket.
Just wondering what domestic goose tastes like and why it seems to be shunned, at least in the Northeast?

(I had wild goose, once, smoked, at a Christmas buffet. That's not what I'm talking about, though.)

Yes, It's tasty. Kinda like all greasy dark meat.

I hate geese. My friend's wife's BFF has a flock of them, they're a PITA anytime we visit.

I've never had it, seen it offered on a restaurant menu or served at anyone's home or for sale at the supermarket.
Just wondering what domestic goose tastes like and why it seems to be shunned, at least in the Northeast?

(I had wild goose, once, smoked, at a Christmas buffet. That's not what I'm talking about, though.)

I don't know. After seeing them crapping all over the place, I don't think they are very appetizing. They seem like pretty dirty birds.

I hate geese. My friend's wife's BFF has a flock of them, they're a PITA anytime we visit.
I remember a friend had a goose when I was a kid

It would attack me any time I visited. Hated the thing

Lots.love it. I used to shoot them in golf course ponds during migration at night with a bow and arrow fishing reel rig.Hey. I was poor back then but I ate damn well.

I'd like to go over with a sawed-off and kill the 1st one that comes up to nip me.

They definitely are good yard security.

I'd rather have an attack jackass or gator, though.

I'd like to go over with a sawed-off and kill the 1st one that comes up to nip me.

They are just defending their territories or babies.

Yeah, my only up close experience with a domestic goose was getting chased across the yard and nipped on the ass by one. I have no idea why the family had a couple of geese. To chase off strangers, I guess.

I don't get angry when an animal bites me because I know it doesn't know any better or it's just instinct. I'm an animal lover, so I've been bit by a lot of animals. Chipmunks, one of the most vicious of the forest dwelling creatures.

Lots.love it. I used to shoot them in golf course ponds during migration at night with a bow and arrow fishing reel rig.Hey. I was poor back then but I ate damn well.
Those are the wild ones. Did you ever try farm raised goose? The white ones?

A bit greasy....

Interesting dooryard you have there, Marion. LOL
Was the goose you had wild or farm raised?

Water smoked or dry smoked?

A bit greasy....
More or less than duck?

I ate goose(if you've eaten it more than once is it geese?) at a restaurant along with duck, but we did used to make duck l'orange..

Last edited:

A bit greasy....
More or less than duck?
About the same..

We always have Weihnachtsgans this is roasted goose that is stuffed with stuffing of onions, chestnuts, parsley, breaded rolls and apples at Christmas this is a very old tradition in Germanic nations, the goose, it takes some time to cook the goose though.

Christmas Eve is as important this is when we have Gebackener Karpfen this is fried/baked carp, we have fishes because in Roman Catholic nations Christmas Eve is considered a fasting day that you cannot eat meat, but you can eat fishes.

Sorry OL the OP is about goose but I expand it some. When buying the goose you must buy the youngest goose you can find and also the most expensive one you see, this is very very important because if you buy a cheaper and older goose it is inferior, it will be tougher to chew and will not taste as nice. A fine young Roast goose tastes like an excellent and refined beef, it's almost like Filet Mignon in its taste.

I can tell you how to cook a goose if you want, let me know. We are obsessed with roasted goose, we have eaten it for Centuries.

I think I've had goose, but when I was a kid my grandmother used to cook a duck like once a month for my grandpa for dinner and I really enjoyed that, especially the crispy skin. Crispy duck skin with a little bit of fat attached to it is almost as tasty as bacon.

I ate goose(if you've eaten it more than once is it geese) at a restaurant along with duck, but we did used to make duck l'orange..
What state was that restaurant in?
I'm a big fan of duck, too. Is goose pretty much the same only bigger?

Interesting dooryard you have there, Marion. LOL
Was the goose you had wild or farm raised?

Farm.

Forum List

Back