Anybody stocking up on light bulbs?

I like the incandescent bulbs

They remind me of the Republican Party.....obsolete

And the new lights (not bulbs) remind me of progressives in general.

Its an idea that is SO AWESOME if has to be forced on us by the government.

Worked

Energy consumption is way down in the country
More efficient cars, major appliances, homes and lighting

But wait....you guys still got
Drill baby, drill

Correlation does not imply causation.

and drill baby drill is what is keeping prices of said energy down.

I would have much preferred it if Bush had delivered on his small government rhetoric and not signed into law the big government mandates that have now halted the manufacture of incandescent light bulbs, but there's a lot our government does I'm not crazy about.

Regardless, stocking up on bulbs just seems like nothing more than pushing off the inevitable to me, so I'm not going to bother.

How about you?

Nah, I'll just do what the gooberment wants me to do and destroy the enviroment with mercury.

I see a Federal Bureau of Trash Inspection in our future.

For real. But what do they expect us to do if it breaks in out homes? Call Hazmat?

Just like Betamax VCRs

What a stupid comparison. The lamps and light fixtures that use incandescent bulbs are not suddenly obsolete.

Nor were Betamax VCRs banned by the government.

Made sense to ban high wattage incandescents. New bulbs use 20% of the power

Luddites of America unite!

Actually, the high-wattage bulbs are NOT banned! Yes, you can still buy a 200 watt bulb, just not a 100 watt bulb.

Actually none of them are "banned"; that term is tossed around loosely. What happens is efficiency standards kick up, which effectively "bans" traditional technology, but it only applies to I think between 40 and 150 watts, with specialty bulbs excepted. And somebody (I think Philips) has already developed an incandescent with vastly improved efficiency.

I've got several incandescents around the house; I don't think any of them are in that range, except the two in the basement crawl space. It would be too much light.

Incandescents are the least efficient of any of the lamp sources.

They are energy burners. The only thing good about them, is their color rendition.

Other than that, they waste energy.

The whole "looks artificial" thing is just naive, they make the entire spectrum in CFL now and you can buy a warmer glow CFL bulb that is indistinguishable from incan.

I would have much preferred it if Bush had delivered on his small government rhetoric and not signed into law the big government mandates that have now halted the manufacture of incandescent light bulbs, but there's a lot our government does I'm not crazy about.

Regardless, stocking up on bulbs just seems like nothing more than pushing off the inevitable to me, so I'm not going to bother.

How about you?

Energy is probably in the top 3 world concerns. Food and living space being the other 2. If current lightbulbs use more power than they're worth, get rid of them. Isn't about politics but survival. Population isn't expected to level out until around 11 billion by 2050 or so. All the people need some where to live, something to eat, and will be sucking energy from their grids. If you don't want wars for electricity, nuclear power, and more coal burning electrical generation you need to use more efficient technology. We have to change from old inefficient tech to new, more efficient tech.

as soon as they come off the shelves there will be a black market for them. not to worry

Just like Betamax VCRs

What a stupid comparison. The lamps and light fixtures that use incandescent bulbs are not suddenly obsolete.

it is happening the plan is to get rid of

and traditional screw in socket

and only have the CFLs available in the new plug in versions

if you stock up on the traditional bulb

you may want to stock up on these too

or the bulbs will one day be no good anyhow

images

Actually, the high-wattage bulbs are NOT banned! Yes, you can still buy a 200 watt bulb, just not a 100 watt bulb.

plus a plethora of other high energy usage bulbs

Just like Betamax VCRs

images

I'm still using some lamps that date to the 1970's...I'm not exactly worried.

images

I'm still using some lamps that date to the 1970's...I'm not exactly worried.

but you never know

it is best to be prepared

also you may want to convert a new lamp over to this

I like the incandescent bulbs

They remind me of the Republican Party.....obsolete

Worked

Drill baby, drill

As long as we still import crude oil, we should continue to "Drill, Baby Drill"

We switched over to CFL bulbs about 7 years ago. The immediate result was that our electricity bill went down by a third, overnight. Since changing over, we have seldom had to change a light bulb. In the first five years, we replaced two bulbs, in our entire house.

The people who are complaining about switching over to the CFL bulbs remind me of the people who thought the automobile was a bad idea and people should stick to horses.

Some people simply do not like the light given off by the new tubes/diodes. So basically they just have to "live with it?"

So, buy the daylight spectrum and quit whining.

============

Why people still use inefficient incandescent light bulbs

Worked

Drill baby, drill

List of countries by oil exports - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

825px-Oil_exports.PNG

This is a list of oil-producing countries by oil exports based on The World Factbook [1]. Note that many countries also import oil, and some import more oil than they export.

drill baby drill is what is keeping prices of said energy down.

No. It doesn't keep prices down or up. Fungible international commodity; we get our supply on the world market price, like everybody else.

"We" don't drill. Oil companies drill. And they'll sell it where they make the money, whether that's Indiana or India. Their loyalty is to stockholders -- not flags.
Has nothing to do with what "we" (they) drill here versus there.

Last edited:
I'm trying to invent a light that only shines on things worth looking at.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7dK3cf7bes]Electric Light Orchestra- Shine a Little Love - YouTube[/ame]

or ...

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum List

Back