Anybody stocking up on light bulbs?

manifold

Diamond Member
Feb 19, 2008
your dreams
I would have much preferred it if Bush had delivered on his small government rhetoric and not signed into law the big government mandates that have now halted the manufacture of incandescent light bulbs, but there's a lot our government does I'm not crazy about.

Regardless, stocking up on bulbs just seems like nothing more than pushing off the inevitable to me, so I'm not going to bother.

How about you?

I bought those little twirly florescent bulbs years ago.
I bought them not because the gov't told me too...but because they are better than incandescent.
Why would anyone stockpile them?

I would have much preferred it if Bush had delivered on his small government rhetoric and not signed into law the big government mandates that have now halted the manufacture of incandescent light bulbs, but there's a lot our government does I'm not crazy about.

Regardless, stocking up on bulbs just seems like nothing more than pushing off the inevitable to me, so I'm not going to bother.

How about you?

dont fret

GE is still cranking em out by the millions in China

Ya, GE tried to have them made in Mexico but found the quality wasn't achievable.
VW tried to do the same with making parts in Mexico for the 'Bettle' but same problem.

How about you?

Of course not...any more than I would horde rotary telephones, manual typewriters, Beta VCR's, or disco 8-tracks!

• Banned
Ya, GE tried to have them made in Mexico but found the quality wasn't achievable.
VW tried to do the same with making parts in Mexico for the 'Bettle' but same problem.

That's because any Mexican with a work ethic has either jumped the border or works for a drug cartel.

The CFL bulbs are definitely great for most applications now that their price has come down so much and they have bulbs made to work with dimmers. I read they are still iffy for tightly enclosed and for lights which turn on and off very frequently for short periods of time.

Even LED bulbs are starting to come down to reasonable prices for 60 watts equiv or less. We have exactly one in our house, it uses 10 watts (about as bright as 60 watt incan) and at 4 hours per day is projected to last 35 years. I guess we'll unscrew it when we move, maybe pass it on other family members in our will.

How about you?

Nah, I'll just do what the gooberment wants me to do and destroy the enviroment with mercury.

How about you?

Nah, I'll just do what the gooberment wants me to do and destroy the enviroment with mercury.

I see a Federal Bureau of Trash Inspection in our future.

Without incandescent light bulbs, how will we cook in our Easy Bake Oven? Heat shotgun shacks? Smoke crank or meth?

Last edited:
Yep, at chez boe, we have stocked up on several cases of incandescent bulbs.

Considering the clean up procedures is one happens to break a CFL, we're not eager to risk mercury poisoning.

Before Cleanup

Have people and pets leave the room.
Air out the room for 5-10 minutes by opening a window or door to the outdoor environment.
Shut off the central forced air heating/air-conditioning system, if you have one.
Collect materials needed to clean up broken bulb:
stiff paper or cardboard;
sticky tape;
damp paper towels or disposable wet wipes (for hard surfaces); and
a glass jar with a metal lid or a sealable plastic bag.

During Cleanup

DO NOT VACUUM. Vacuuming is not recommended unless broken glass remains after all other cleanup steps have been taken. Vacuuming could spread mercury-containing powder or mercury vapor.
Be thorough in collecting broken glass and visible powder. Scoop up glass fragments and powder using stiff paper or cardboard. Use sticky tape, such as duct tape, to pick up any remaining small glass fragments and powder. Place the used tape in the glass jar or plastic bag. See the detailed cleanup instructions for more information, and for differences in cleaning up hard surfaces versus carpeting or rugs.
Place cleanup materials in a sealable container.

After Cleanup

Promptly place all bulb debris and cleanup materials, including vacuum cleaner bags, outdoors in a trash container or protected area until materials can be disposed of. Avoid leaving any bulb fragments or cleanup materials indoors.
Next, check with your local government about disposal requirements in your area, because some localities require fluorescent bulbs (broken or unbroken) be taken to a local recycling center. If there is no such requirement in your area, you can dispose of the materials with your household trash.
If practical, continue to air out the room where the bulb was broken and leave the heating/air conditioning system shut off for several hours.

If you have further questions, please call your local poison control center at 1-800-222-1222.

Why is it important to clean up a broken CFL properly?

CFLs and other fluorescent light bulbs contain a small amount of mercury sealed within the glass tubing. When a fluorescent bulb breaks in your home, some of this mercury is released as mercury vapor. To minimize exposure to mercury vapor, EPA recommends that residents follow the cleanup and disposal steps described on this page.

Cleaning Up a Broken CFL | Compact Fluorescent Light Bulbs (CFLs) | US EPA

I've had CFL bulbs since they fist came out. I have never followed their guidelines with broken bulbs,and have yet to get mercury poisoning.

Before Clean-up: Ventilate the Room
•Have people and pets leave the room, and don't let anyone walk through the breakage area on their way out.
•Open a window and leave the room for 15 minutes or more.
•Shut off the central forced-air heating/air conditioning system, if you have one.

Clean-Up Steps for Hard Surfaces
•Carefully scoop up glass fragments and powder using stiff paper or cardboard and place them in a glass jar with metal lid (such as a canning jar) or in a sealed plastic bag.
•Use sticky tape, such as duct tape, to pick up any remaining small glass fragments and powder.
•Wipe the area clean with damp paper towels or disposable wet wipes and place them in the glass jar or plastic bag.
•Do not use a vacuum or broom to clean up the broken bulb on hard surfaces.

Clean-up Steps for Carpeting or Rug
•Carefully pick up glass fragments and place them in a glass jar with metal lid (such as a canning jar) or in a sealed plastic bag.
•Use sticky tape, such as duct tape, to pick up any remaining small glass fragments and powder.
•If vacuuming is needed after all visible materials are removed, vacuum the area where the bulb was broken.
•Remove the vacuum bag (or empty and wipe the canister), and put the bag or vacuum debris in a sealed plastic bag.

Disposal of Clean-up Materials
•Immediately place all cleanup materials outside the building in a trash container or outdoor protected area for the next normal trash.
•Wash your hands after disposing of the jars or plastic bags containing clean-up materials.
•Check with your local or state government about disposal requirements in your specific area. Some states prohibit such trash disposal and require that broken and unbroken mercury-containing bulbs be taken to a local recycling center.

Future Cleaning of Carpeting or Rug: Ventilate the Room During and After Vacuuming •The next several times you vacuum, shut off the central forced-air heating/air conditioning system and open a window prior to vacuuming.
•Keep the central heating/air conditioning system shut off and the window open for at least 15 minutes after vacuuming is completed.

Read more at snopes.com: CFL Mercury Light Bulbs

Forum List

Back