All the movies you must see

Number six Halloween pick is considered one of the best horror films of the 1950s starring horror legend Vincent Price:

View attachment 717968
House of Wax (1953)
Every year at Halloween when asked for the best Halloween movies, I have to mention Carnival of Souls, not because it is the best but because it is the most unique. It creates a horror of loneliness rather than a horror of blood and violence.

The movie was created by Herk Harvey a payroll director of a company in Lawrence Kansas. He wrote the script, directed, produced, and played in the movie along with 5 fellows workers, none of which had ever worked in a movie. There was only one professional actor in the production, Candace Hilligoss who was paid $2,000. The movie was filmed in Lawrence at cost of $33,000.

The story begins with A young woman in a small Kansas town who survives a drag race accident, then agrees to take a job as a church organist in Salt Lake City. En route, she is haunted by a bizarre apparition that compels her toward an abandoned lakeside pavilion. I won't spoil the movie by going on.

What makes the movie interesting is that after 61 years, it is still being shown on late night TV, film festivals, and Horrorfests. As one critics said, "It is the movie that wouldn't die."

Last edited:
My eighth Halloween movie pick is:

dracula poster inset.jpg
Dracula (1931)

Last edited:
This movie poster recently gained the record for most expensive ever sold at $525,800.00. Here is an article on that auction:

Although there were several posters very different from each other made to promote Dracula, this one is the most popular one.

Universal released a series of horror movies in the 1930s and all of them are considered timeless classics, including this version of Dracula, thought to be the unchallenged champion, yet to be surpassed in the almost 100 years since its release.

universal-logo.png

Last edited:
Every year at Halloween when asked for the best Halloween movies, I have to mention Carnival of Souls, not because it is the best but because it is the most unique. It creates a horror of loneliness rather than a horror of blood and violence.

The movie was created by Herk Harvey a payroll director of a company in Lawrence Kansas. He wrote the script, directed, produced, and played in the movie along with 5 fellows workers, none of which had ever worked in a movie. There was only one professional actor in the production, Candace Hilligoss who was paid $2,000. The movie was filmed in Lawrence at cost of $33,000.

The story begins with A young woman in a small Kansas town who survives a drag race accident, then agrees to take a job as a church organist in Salt Lake City. En route, she is haunted by a bizarre apparition that compels her toward an abandoned lakeside pavilion. I won't spoil the movie by going on.

What makes the movie interesting is that after 61 years, it is still being shown on late night TV, film festivals, and Horrorfests. As one critics said, "It is the movie that wouldn't die."

To tell you the truth I was sort of disappointed in House Of Wax but it was a good movie, I anticipated it being a notch or two better than it was. Motley Crue released a concert DVD named Carnival Of Souls, maybe this was where they nabbed their title. I will definitely check this out.

What Vincent Price movies do you think are his best?

I know what you mean. I was watching an old movie on TCM that showed a girl in a white dress climbing out of a window. The next scene it showed her running away from window wearing a black dress. These goof-ups are common in very low budget movies that have short production schedule. They just don't have the time or money to reshoot. The one I was watching had a budget of $125,000 and was filmed in 8 days. They also are common in series spin offs. Star Trek has had at least 6 series spins offs and a number of movies. There are incidents involving both characters and time factors that don't agree. I just ignore them and consider them just part of the fantasy.

It also happens in classic masterpieces such as the Wizard of Oz.
When Dorothy (Judy Garland) first meets the Scarecrow (Ray Bolger), her hair is in two pigtails at shoulder-length. As the two sing “If I Only Had A Brain”, Garland’s pigtails grow longer and longer. At the end of the song, they’re back to their original length. Now, The Wizard of Oz had a notoriously rigorous production schedule spanning over the course of six months, so it’s evident that Garland’s hair had gotten longer during that time.

I discovered the Criterion Channel, hosting many silent era and early movies not found on Turner Classics. Subscription is $10.99 / month.

Few movies are available online if they were made before WW2, even if they were classics. But I keep a list of those and will make sure I buy them when I restart my movie collection.

My 10th Halloween movie pick is the only one available to rent online from the 1910s:

image.jpeg
The Golem (1914)

That completes a full century of cinematic horror. On Halloween day I am going to watch the AI created "Mr. Puzzles Wants You to be Less Alive (2021)" and some additional flicks.

To tell you the truth I was sort of disappointed in House Of Wax but it was a good movie, I anticipated it being a notch or two better than it was. Motley Crue released a concert DVD named Carnival Of Souls, maybe this was where they nabbed their title. I will definitely check this out.

What Vincent Price movies do you think are his best?
The Fly (1959). I think this is one of his best, although I did not like it that much. House of Wax was the first major 3D color release. I saw it as kid. 3D was a distraction. The audience was most concerned with stuff flying out screen. It took a few years but the 3D craze died out due to falling interest by the public and cost of production.

Last edited:
You need a vision and a cast and crew to believe in that vision. In that manner its about more than money.
There is no way knowing if Carnival of Souls ever made any money. Considering it's budget was only about 30,000, it must have made money for somebody, probably the company that released it on DVDs in the 1990s. The film had it's World Premier at the Main Street Theater in Lawrence, Kansas. After that the distribution rights was sold but there was no distribution as such. Copies were made and sold but there was not copywrite in the US. So copy after copy was made and often edited. The original runtime is believed to be 91 but a 78 min. version is often shown.

A low budget film that made money and lots of it was the Blair Witch Project with a budget of less than $500,000 in 1999. This film made over 248 million worldwide. It revived the low budget film industry, occasionally producing something really good but most often not.

Last edited:
Don't know if anyone has mentioned this one but there is a very good old horror movie, actually more suspense than horror titled The Innocents (1961) written by Truman Capote and John Mortimer staring Deborah Kerr and Michael Redgrave. It is based on the novel, Turn of the Screw by Henry James.

I think the movie is best described as a stylishly crafted, chilling British ghost tale. It kind of creeps up on you with shadowy demotic creatures, eerie children and the realization that demonic possession is at work. it is a movie of psychological horrors with no blood and guts. It is not the kind of movie you watch with a room full of trick or treaters or your drunken beer buddies, but rather on a cold windy winter night alone or with your nearest and dearest.

Rotten Tomatoes gave it 95%, not to be confused with the 2022 Norwegian film of the same name which is another great ghost story on the same subject.

Last edited:
The Uninvited, 1944 is for fans of old ghost movies. It is notable for several reasons. First, it is probably the first English movie made about a young couple buying a haunted house. I hate to recommend it as it has been done so many time and it's very predictable. However, what makes this movie worth seeing is it is done so well and the music Stella by Starlight written by Victor Young is wonderful. If you listen to much jazz you have probably heard it a lot as it's a favorite of jazz groups. The movie centers around a couple buying an old home on the Cornish coast of England. Photography is very good as is the acting, however the ghost scenes are pretty amateurish by today
standards.

This movie was made just before Ray Milland's, The Lost Weekend which is his best performance and the probably the best movie every made about Alcoholism. If you haven't seen do so.

Crappy movie I'm sorry I watched: 'It.'
Most Stephen King movies are somewhat lacking in some way but aren't so bad they're unwatchable. I do remember seeing It when I was about 5 or so and being scared out of my little mind.

My grandpa watched a lot of the Stephen King movies and thats how I saw most of them. The Shining is on my list, one of few Stephen King movies that made it to #1 on the big screen.

My 10th Halloween movie pick is the only one available to rent online from the 1910s:

View attachment 718563
The Golem (1914)
The rental version of this movie is the original picture restored with badly done voice acted dialogue and random metal music playing in the background. The scenes don't cut to line cards like most silent movies, only the narration and this takes away from the quality of watching. I gave this 5/10. If the narration were well done with appropriate music I would have scored it higher.

There is a second version of this movie with the same Golem actor but the rest of the cast is different, filmed in 1920, 30 minutes longer. Maybe thats the one I should've watched.

It was a rare treat to see old film like this anyways as almost none of these flicks are available online.

Wasn't much of a horror as I would compare it to a man building a robot to serve him if it were a modern movie. Maybe this was horror back then.

Forum List

Back