Alexis de Tocqueville and impeachment.

Ray9

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2016
I’ve been reading Alexis de Tocqueville:

“We must not be misled by the apparent mildness of the American legislation in all that relates to political jurisdiction. It is to be observed, in the first place, that in the United States the tribunal which passes sentence is composed of the same elements, and subject to the same influences, as the body which impeaches the offender, and that this uniformity gives an almost irresistible impulse to the vindictive passions of parties”.

He's talking about impeachment here and he has reservations about the balance of American jurisdictional politics because the self-serving momentum of the human personality will always provide inspiration to put a hand on the scale.

Even in the 1830’s de Tocqueville worried that partisan influences in the US could easily tailor and corrupt impeachment proceedings to produce a technicality and thus remove a populist threat from office. In other words, impeachment could become a mechanism or a tool to cancel the will of the people.

Granted, I’m filtering de Tocqueville through a blue-collar mind but he’s loud and clear. If a marathon runner is way ahead in a footrace his competitors can argue that he bribed a sponsor for better shoes or if a pitcher is throwing a perfect game the opposing team can accuse him of secretly lobbing spitballs. Last-ditch efforts to change rules in the middle of the game or even cast a shadow on the legitimacy of the rules were recognized by de Tocqueville in his travels here-conclusion: democracy is imperfect.

But we as individuals in an imperfect democracy must conclude that all cases it’s better than the alternative. Here’s something else de Tocqueville said:

"But one also finds in the human heart a depraved taste for equality, which impels the weak to want to bring the strong down to their level, and which reduces men to preferring equality in servitude to inequality in freedom".

This retrieves a recollection from one of my high school teachers: “Misery loves company”. If you didn’t do the work, don’t rain on the parade of those that did. The go-getters in our society like Trump can provide good jobs for you someday or you could just go into debt for a worthless college education.

An embedded US deep state is not the masked Lone Ranger fighting for universal fairness; it's something much darker. Presidential impeachment is a Kamikaze tactic to ensure the survival of a failed status quo.

Last edited:

“We must not be misled by the apparent mildness of the American legislation in all that relates to political jurisdiction. It is to be observed, in the first place, that in the United States the tribunal which passes sentence is composed of the same elements, and subject to the same influences, as the body which impeaches the offender, and that this uniformity gives an almost irresistible impulse to the vindictive passions of parties”.

He's talking about impeachment here and he has reservations about the balance of American jurisdictional politics because the self-serving momentum of the human personality will always provide inspiration to put a hand on the scale.

Even in the 1830’s de Tocqueville worried that partisan influences in the US could easily tailor and corrupt impeachment proceedings to produce a technicality and thus remove a populist threat from office. In other words, impeachment could become a mechanism or a tool to cancel the will of the people.

Granted, I’m filtering de Tocqueville through a blue-collar mind but he’s loud and clear. If a marathon runner is way ahead in a footrace his competitors can argue that he bribed a sponsor for better shoes or if a pitcher is throwing a perfect game the opposing team can accuse him of secretly lobbing spitballs. Last-ditch efforts to change rules in the middle of the game or even cast a shadow on the legitimacy of the rules were recognized by de Tocqueville in his travels here-conclusion: democracy is imperfect.

But we as individuals in an imperfect democracy must conclude that all cases it’s better than the alternative. Here’s something else de Tocqueville said:

"But one also finds in the human heart a depraved taste for equality, which impels the weak to want to bring the strong down to their level, and which reduces men to preferring equality in servitude to inequality in freedom".

This retrieves a recollection from one of my high school teachers: “Misery loves company”. If you didn’t do the work, don’t rain on the parade of those that did. The go-getters in our society like Trump can provide good jobs for you someday or you could just go into debt for a worthless college education.

An embedded US deep state is not the masked Lone Ranger fighting for universal fairness; it's something much darker. Presidential impeachment is a Kamikaze tactic to ensure the survival of a failed status quo.
I've not read de Tocqueville, but he sounds like an elitist. The wealthy, educated and influential powers that were--and be-- in our leadership were terrified of "populist" or "majority" influence. Considering what we elected as President, maybe they were right.

Odd perspective

If one believed de Tocqueville, impeachment would be a common occurrence with partisan politics

It has rarely been used

So he is talking about the partisan misuse of the Impeachment process...like Republicans tried to do with Clinton.

Does that mean we have to abandon Impeachment altogether? Because Republicans abused the process 20 years ago, it can no longer be used when required?

I think not

Last edited:

Do you believe de Tocqueville would agree that Trump is a job providing go getter?

Please. Spare us.

When the party of stupid tries to mount intellectual arguments it is good to remember how much they despise actual intellectuals.

So he is talking about the partisan misuse of the Impeachment process...like Republicans tried to do with Clinton.

Does that mean we have to abandon Impeachment altogether? Because Republicans abused the process 20 years ago, it can no longer be used when required?

I think not
But MOOOOOMMMMMM, they did it toooooooooo!

I've not read de Tocqueville, but he sounds like an elitist. The wealthy, educated and influential powers that were--and be-- in our leadership were terrified of "populist" or "majority" influence. Considering what we elected as President, maybe they were right.
but ...but ….the majority didnt elect him....ummmm....ummmm

I think not

It was what the republicans "did" with Clinton. Clinton lied under oath-no interpretation necessary.

I think not

It was what the republicans "did" with Clinton. Clinton lied under oath-no interpretation necessary.

How is it that Trump has never had to answer questions under oath?

I think not

de Tocqueville never thought he would see an impeachment over a blow job

I think not

Clinton was not impeached for getting blowjobs, he was impeached for committing perjury.

I think not

Clinton was not impeached for getting blowjobs, he was impeached for committing perjury.
About a blowjob

Alex de Tocqueville enjoyed a good blowjob as well as the next guy. He would be appalled that anyone would impeach over one

Forum List

Back