A good use for prison inmates

YoursTruly

Platinum Member
Dec 21, 2019
I'm a fairly big supporter of recycling and cleaning up environments that people pollute. All areas are important. But I have a curiosity about the oceans and waters ways. Especially the pacific garbage patch. I realize there's more important places that need to be cleaned up. The technology they using for cleaning up waterways is getting better. But the main fall back of recyling is the human labor that goes into it. It's simply not profitable for a company to take on the task.

So I'm thinking why not let the prison population take on the task. There's a ton of prisons all across the USA. With cheap or almost zero labor costs, this might make recycling profitable. Most prisoners don't do much more than just sit around and trade snack cakes and fight over what's on TV.
Put them to work for something that'll actually help with something good.

I'm a fairly big supporter of recycling and cleaning up environments that people pollute. All areas are important. But I have a curiosity about the oceans and waters ways. Especially the pacific garbage patch. I realize there's more important places that need to be cleaned up. The technology they using for cleaning up waterways is getting better. But the main fall back of recyling is the human labor that goes into it. It's simply not profitable for a company to take on the task.

So I'm thinking why not let the prison population take on the task. There's a ton of prisons all across the USA. With cheap or almost zero labor costs, this might make recycling profitable. Most prisoners don't do much more than just sit around and trade snack cakes and fight over what's on TV.

Because forcing people to clean up toxic pollution which may sicken, permanently disable, or kill them, is a violation of their rights.

I have long said the solution to welfare and poverty is public sanitation,, same can be true for prison inmates,,
although I would start with farming of their own food first for prisoners,,

Yeah, that makes perfect sense from the perspective of conservative American thought that emphasizes the importance of the profit motive to convince people to do something productive with themselves.

Slavery is not really an original idea

Why do you feel the prison population must be useful? There are plenty of people free, roaming the streets and flapping their ignorant gums that ain't useful.

Most prisoners don't do much more than just sit around and trade snack cakes and fight over what's on TV.

Most prisoners in US prisons work. 65% AFAIK

Our machine shop employs 4 Arkansas work release inmates year- round .

Prison I worked at was on 3,000 acres. Raised corn, wheat, cattle, had a dairy, regular working farm.

Then the bleeding hearts claimed it was slave labor, and they cut production back 90%.

I have long said the solution to welfare and poverty is public sanitation,, same can be true for prison inmates,,
although I would start with farming of their own food first for prisoners,,

Last edited:
Prison I worked at was on 3,000 acres. Raised corn, wheat, cattle, had a dairy, regular working farm.

The the bleeding hearts claimed it was slave labor, and they cut production back 90%.
lets you know who the problem people really are,,

its not slave labor when you eat the food you grow,, in fact thats the opposite of slavery,,

wow, seems like a lot of opposition to having prisoners work

fine, kill em all, kill the lousy fucking prisoners, if they wont work , if we got people that wont let them work, then kill them

make prison a hell hole that nobody wants to go to

make prison so crazy terrible, democrats will no longer be pedophiles

We are becoming a trashy nation. People just throw their garbage out wherever they want to. Might need chain gangs to do trash pickup.
I clean a couple mile stretch of county road as part of an adopt-a-road program and I can vouch for what you say. I picked up 240 lbs of litter last year and the next day the road was littered with miniature liquor bottles and chelada cans along with various Bud Light cans. I think the recycle programs for inmates are a great idea for federal prisons. Keeps states like OR and WA from raiding recycle cash cows.

Forum List

Back