50th Anniversary of Vietnam War

sharting an elephant said:
I saw the History Channel's Vietnam in High Definition again this past weekend, and couldn't stop fluctuating between being mad as hell and crying — especially when that "Purcell" widow was talking about what it was like for her and her little children when the news came to her via her pastor at her church one Sunday in the late 60s/ early 70s that her husband had been located as a POW.

I realize I'm at odds with defense contractors and population control engineers in saying this, but the Vietnam War was the most stupid war in US history. We had absolutely no business whatsoever being in Southeast Asia.

I'm just glad for former President Lyndon Baines Johnson—given all the souls he destroyed in his and Bell Helicopter's Southeast Asian "War on Poverty"—that The Almighty is a forgiving sort.

georgephillip said:
You might consider what Noam Chomsky has to say about whether the US invasion/occupation of South Vietnam qualifies as a mistake; for some, it was, and still is, a highly profitable success:
"Noam Chomsky: Well, I don't think that Vietnam was a mistake; I think it was a success.

"This is somewhere where I disagree with just about everyone, including the left, right, friends and so on.

"To determine whether it was a failure you have to first look at what the goals were.

"In the case of Indo-china, the US is a very free country; we have an incomparably rich documentary record of internal planning, much richer than any other country that I know of.

"So we can discover what the goals were.

"In fact it is clear by around 1970, certainly by the time the Pentagon Papers came out, the primary concern was the one that shows up in virtually all intervention: Guatemala, Indonesia, Nicaragua, Cuba, Chile, just about everywhere you look at.

"The concern is independent nationalism which is unacceptable in itself because it extricates some part of the world that the US wants to dominate.

"And it has an extra danger if it is likely to be successful in terms that are likely to be meaningful to others who are suffering from the same conditions."

From the standpoint of independent nationalism, it's clear that with the exception of Cuba none of the nations Chomsky mentioned became completely free of US domination, in one form or another.

On the War in Iraq Noam Chomsky interviewed by David McNeill

shart of a woman said:
Nope.

I refuse to consider what a self-absorbed wanna-be anarchist of American Academia thinks about the positive implications of an horrific war that didn't cost him anything personally — in terms of lost family members and/ or close friends.

The point he's trying to make there is further complicated by the fact that Islamofascism is eminent in Southeast Asia now, too.

In other words, the US presence there did nothing to curtail the rise of America's true long-term enemy — which wasn't the Soviet Union, per the Domino Theory.

Fuck Noam Chomsky.

georgephillip said:
You and Yours.

"By around 1960 the US recognized that it could not maintain a client state in Vietnam.

"The client state, which had already killed maybe 60,000 people, had engendered resistance which it could not control.

"So in 1962 Kennedy simply invaded the country outright.

"That's when US bombing started, chemical warfare, attempts to drive people into concentration camps and so on, and from then on it just escalated.

"By 1967 South Vietnam was practically destroyed..."

"There was very little protest at that time.

"The US and England and the rest were just content to see Vietnam destroyed.

"That was much worse than anything happening in Iraq."

Chomsky's forgotten more about US imperialism than you'll ever know, get it?

Like I said, motherfucker, FUCK NOAM CHOMSKY.

I have had and have relatives who have fought and died in that goddamned war, unlike his self-congratulatory, narcissistic ass has.

His opinion is worth no more than mine, no matter what he and/ or the idiots like you who put him on a pedestal would like to think.
Some of your relatives died in another illegal war of aggression?

Good.

When are you planning to follow in their heroic footsteps, Polly?
You'll get Ebola first.

Karma is a bitch.
So is history:
" Ambivalence characterized U.S. policy during World War 11, and was the root of
much subsequent misunderstanding.

"On the one hand, the U.S. repeatedly reassured the French that its colonial
possessions would be returned to it after the war.

"On the other band, the U.S. broadly committed itself in the Atlantic
Charter to support national self-determination, and President Roosevelt personally and vehemently advocated
independence for Indochina.

"F.D.R. regarded Indochina as a flagrant example of onerous colonialism which should be
turned over to a trusteeship rather than returned to France.

"The President discussed this proposal with the Allies at the
Cairo, Teheran, and Yalta Conferences and received the endorsement of Chiang Kai-shek and Stalin; Prime Minister
Churchill demurred.

"At one point, Fall reports, the President offered General de Gaulle Filipino advisers to help France
establish a 'more progressive policy in Indochina'--which offer the General received in 'Pensive Silence.'"
http://www.vietnamwar50th.com/assets/1/7/Pentagon_Papers,_Gravel_Edition,_Summary_and_Chapter_I.pdf

The French were among the most brutal of colonialists, yet even they never considered napalm, Agent Orange, or concentration camps.

I saw the History Channel's Vietnam in High Definition again this past weekend, and couldn't stop fluctuating between being mad as hell and crying — especially when that "Purcell" widow was talking about what it was like for her and her little children when the news came to her via her pastor at her church one Sunday in the late 60s/ early 70s that her husband had been located as a POW.

I realize I'm at odds with defense contractors and population control engineers in saying this, but the Vietnam War was the most stupid war in US history. We had absolutely no business whatsoever being in Southeast Asia.

I'm just glad for former President Lyndon Baines Johnson—given all the souls he destroyed in his and Bell Helicopter's Southeast Asian "War on Poverty"—that The Almighty is a forgiving sort.

georgephillip said:
You might consider what Noam Chomsky has to say about whether the US invasion/occupation of South Vietnam qualifies as a mistake; for some, it was, and still is, a highly profitable success:
"Noam Chomsky: Well, I don't think that Vietnam was a mistake; I think it was a success.

"This is somewhere where I disagree with just about everyone, including the left, right, friends and so on.

"To determine whether it was a failure you have to first look at what the goals were.

"In the case of Indo-china, the US is a very free country; we have an incomparably rich documentary record of internal planning, much richer than any other country that I know of.

"In fact it is clear by around 1970, certainly by the time the Pentagon Papers came out, the primary concern was the one that shows up in virtually all intervention: Guatemala, Indonesia, Nicaragua, Cuba, Chile, just about everywhere you look at.

"The concern is independent nationalism which is unacceptable in itself because it extricates some part of the world that the US wants to dominate.

"And it has an extra danger if it is likely to be successful in terms that are likely to be meaningful to others who are suffering from the same conditions."

From the standpoint of independent nationalism, it's clear that with the exception of Cuba none of the nations Chomsky mentioned became completely free of US domination, in one form or another.

shart of a woman said:
Nope.

I refuse to consider what a self-absorbed wanna-be anarchist of American Academia thinks about the positive implications of an horrific war that didn't cost him anything personally — in terms of lost family members and/ or close friends.

The point he's trying to make there is further complicated by the fact that Islamofascism is eminent in Southeast Asia now, too.

In other words, the US presence there did nothing to curtail the rise of America's true long-term enemy — which wasn't the Soviet Union, per the Domino Theory.

Fuck Noam Chomsky.

georgephillip said:
You and Yours.

"By around 1960 the US recognized that it could not maintain a client state in Vietnam.

"The client state, which had already killed maybe 60,000 people, had engendered resistance which it could not control.

"That's when US bombing started, chemical warfare, attempts to drive people into concentration camps and so on, and from then on it just escalated.

shart slinger said:

I have had and have relatives who have fought and died in that goddamned war, unlike his self-congratulatory, narcissistic ass has.

His opinion is worth no more than mine, no matter what he and/ or the idiots like you who put him on a pedestal would like to think.

georgephillip said:

Good.

Awwwww, wouldja look at this, now: an e-tough guy. Isn't he pwecious? :badgrin:

When are you going to stop talking shit to AMERICANS ON AN AMERICAN MESSAGE BOARD, YOU CHICKENSHIT FOREIGN MOTHERFUCKER?!?!?
:fu:

I know damn well you wouldn't do that to a Vietnam veteran's FACE, you little self-absorbed chickenshit bitch.

You'd best have a really good dental plan, if you would. Trust that. :badgrin:

georgephillip said:

shart of a woman said:
Nope.

Fuck Noam Chomsky.

georgephillip said:
You and Yours.

shart slinger said:

georgephillip said:

Good.

When are you going to stop talking shit to AMERICANS ON AN AMERICAN MESSAGE BOARD, YOU CHICKENSHIT FOREIGN MOTHERFUCKER?!?!?

I know damn well you wouldn't do that to a Vietnam veteran's FACE, you little self-absorbed chickenshit bitch.

I've got the best dental plan available, Asshole, full dentures upper and lower; all I have to do is spit them into your lying, fascist face, twist your head off, and piss into it:alirulz:

georgephillip said:

shart of a woman said:
Nope.

Fuck Noam Chomsky.

georgephillip said:
You and Yours.

shart slinger said:

georgephillip said:

Good.

I've got the best dental plan available, Asshole, full dentures upper and lower; all I have to do is spit them into your lying, fascist face, twist your head off, and piss into it:alirulz:

You little whiny goddamned faggot.

No, the only asshole here is the one who openly tells fellow USMB posters to die, and brazenly talks about dissing the American veterans who have given little chickenshit cocksuckers like you the First Amendment Right to post your pathetically narcissistic tripe online, you little punk bitch.

Like I said, TALK YOUR SHIT TO A VET'S FACE, MOTHERFUCKER. :badgrin:

"Investigative journalist Nick Turse offers a disturbing account of
American atrocities in the Vietnam War in a commendable attempt
to bring attention to the death and destruction wrought upon South
Vietnamese civilians.

"His purpose is to expose 'the scale of civilian
suffering' in Vietnam, while claiming that American 'command poli- cies'—free-fire zones, body counts, search-and-destroy missions, and
the use of excessively destructive conventional technology—established
a deadly but accepted standard of “overkill” at the operational level.

"At the tactical level, this 'overkill' created a caustic atmosphere among US
forces, one that encouraged American troops to commit atrocities—rape,
mutilation, murder, mass killings—with callous impunity.

"This is a very grim and chilling read indeed.
Turse bases his findings on..."

http://strategicstudiesinstitute.ar...nter_2013/Book Reviews/Turse_KillAnything.pdf

"It is no cliché that those who ignore history are bound to repeat it. Unless we are provided an honest accounting of the disgraceful history of the US war on Vietnam, we will be ill equipped to protest the current and future wars conducted in our name."

The Pentagon is ramping up its version of the US invasion/occupation of South Vietnam of one-half-a-century ago. According to Marjorie Cohn, this $30 million program is designed to rewrite and sanitize the millions of deaths the US was directly responsible for in Southeast Asia while stimulating enlistment in and support for today's "Permanent War."

"Indeed, just as Lyndon B. Johnson used the manufactured Tonkin Gulf incident as a pretext to escalate the Vietnam War, George W. Bush relied on mythical weapons of mass destruction to justify his war on Iraq, and the 'war on terror' to justify his invasion of Afghanistan.

"And Obama justifies his drone wars by citing national security considerations, even though he creates more enemies of the United States as he kills thousands of civilians.

"ISIS and Khorasan (which no one in Syria heard of until about three weeks ago) are the new enemies Obama is using to justify his wars in Iraq and Syria, although he admits they pose no imminent threat to the United States.

"The Vietnam syndrome has been replaced by the 'Permanent War.'"

"Marjorie Cohn is a professor at Thomas Jefferson School of Law and former president of the National Lawyers Guild. A veteran of the Stanford anti-Vietnam War movement, she is co-author (with Kathleen Gilberd) of Rules of Disengagement: The Politics and Honor of Military Dissent. Her latest book, Drones and Targeted Killing: Legal, Moral and Geopolitical Issues, will be published in October. She is also co-coordinator of the Vietnam Agent Orange Relief & Responsibility Campaign."

Marjorie Cohn US Government Sanitizes Vietnam War History

How can people live in the information age and still be as ignorant as the radical left? Look it up for God's sake. The reasons that congress (including about 36% of democrats) authorized Bush to use combat Troops are listed and it doesn't include WMD's. Democrats made it up when they decided to engage in treason and undermine the Military mission. Every military conflict in the bloody 20th century started during a democrat administration. The US sent Doughboys after Wilson swore he would never interfere in a European squabble. FDR was so unprepared for war that we lost an entire freaking Army in four months and ten times more Troops were killed in accidents caused by negligence than the entire two conflicts in Iraq. Harry Truman sent Troops without congressional approval to take sides in a Korean civil war. It was so grossly mishandled by an "Old Soldier" way passed his prime and a timid president that we lost 50,000 Troops in three years and ended up where we started. LBJ sent Troops to Southeast Asia after claiming a fraudulent incident and the liberal media backed him 100%. He set the rules so that we could win every battle and still lose the war and just when it seemed that we could actually win the thing he tearfully quit on national TV and gave the V.C. time to reorganize.

"It is no cliché that those who ignore history are bound to repeat it. Unless we are provided an honest accounting of the disgraceful history of the US war on Vietnam, we will be ill equipped to protest the current and future wars conducted in our name."

The Pentagon is ramping up its version of the US invasion/occupation of South Vietnam of one-half-a-century ago. According to Marjorie Cohn, this $30 million program is designed to rewrite and sanitize the millions of deaths the US was directly responsible for in Southeast Asia while stimulating enlistment in and support for today's "Permanent War."

"Indeed, just as Lyndon B. Johnson used the manufactured Tonkin Gulf incident as a pretext to escalate the Vietnam War, George W. Bush relied on mythical weapons of mass destruction to justify his war on Iraq, and the 'war on terror' to justify his invasion of Afghanistan.

"And Obama justifies his drone wars by citing national security considerations, even though he creates more enemies of the United States as he kills thousands of civilians.

"ISIS and Khorasan (which no one in Syria heard of until about three weeks ago) are the new enemies Obama is using to justify his wars in Iraq and Syria, although he admits they pose no imminent threat to the United States.

"Marjorie Cohn is a professor at Thomas Jefferson School of Law and former president of the National Lawyers Guild. A veteran of the Stanford anti-Vietnam War movement, she is co-author (with Kathleen Gilberd) of Rules of Disengagement: The Politics and Honor of Military Dissent. Her latest book, Drones and Targeted Killing: Legal, Moral and Geopolitical Issues, will be published in October. She is also co-coordinator of the Vietnam Agent Orange Relief & Responsibility Campaign."

How can people live in the information age and still be as ignorant as the radical left? Look it up for God's sake. The reasons that congress (including about 36% of democrats) authorized Bush to use combat Troops are listed and it doesn't include WMD's. Democrats made it up when they decided to engage in treason and undermine the Military mission. Every military conflict in the bloody 20th century started during a democrat administration. The US sent Doughboys after Wilson swore he would never interfere in a European squabble. FDR was so unprepared for war that we lost an entire freaking Army in four months and ten times more Troops were killed in accidents caused by negligence than the entire two conflicts in Iraq. Harry Truman sent Troops without congressional approval to take sides in a Korean civil war. It was so grossly mishandled by an "Old Soldier" way passed his prime and a timid president that we lost 50,000 Troops in three years and ended up where we started. LBJ sent Troops to Southeast Asia after claiming a fraudulent incident and the liberal media backed him 100%. He set the rules so that we could win every battle and still lose the war and just when it seemed that we could actually win the thing he tearfully quit on national TV and gave the V.C. time to reorganize.
Elected Democrats serve the same 1% of US voters as elected Republicans. Wars enhance private fortunes like few other "legal" enterprises. My OP looks at the Pentagon's current attempt to rewrite the history of its invasion and occupation of South Vietnam fifty years ago in light of what that means to our current "war on terror."
"Now the Pentagon is planning to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the Vietnam War by launching a $30 million program to rewrite and sanitize its history. Replete with a fancy interactive website, the effort is aimed at teaching schoolchildren a revisionist history of the war.

"The program is focused on honoring our service members who fought in Vietnam.

"But conspicuously absent from the website is a description of the antiwar movement, at the heart of which was the GI movement.

"More Vietnam veterans have committed suicide than were killed in the war.

"Thousands of GIs participated in the antiwar movement.

"Many felt betrayed by their government.

"They established coffee houses and underground newspapers where they shared information about resistance.

"During the course of the war, more than 500,000 soldiers deserted.

"The strength of the rebellion of ground troops caused the military to shift to an air war.

"Ultimately, the war claimed the lives of 58,000 Americans.

"Untold numbers were wounded and returned with post-traumatic stress disorder.

"In an astounding statistic, more Vietnam veterans have committed suicide than were killed in the war.
At least be willing to consider what the US will be like fifty years from now if Democrats AND Republicans continue to serve those who get rich from War.

Indeed.

It's possible the "Main Event" of US imperialism is still in its planning stages?
africom-2.png

United States Africa Command - Wikipedia

Elected Democrats serve the same 1% of US voters as elected Republicans. Wars enhance private fortunes like few other "legal" enterprises. My OP looks at the Pentagon's current attempt to rewrite the history of its invasion and occupation of South Vietnam fifty years ago in light of what that means to our current "war on terror."
"Now the Pentagon is planning to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the Vietnam War by launching a $30 million program to rewrite and sanitize its history. Replete with a fancy interactive website, the effort is aimed at teaching schoolchildren a revisionist history of the war.

"The program is focused on honoring our service members who fought in Vietnam.

"But conspicuously absent from the website is a description of the antiwar movement, at the heart of which was the GI movement.

"More Vietnam veterans have committed suicide than were killed in the war.

"Thousands of GIs participated in the antiwar movement.

"Many felt betrayed by their government.

"They established coffee houses and underground newspapers where they shared information about resistance.

"During the course of the war, more than 500,000 soldiers deserted.

"The strength of the rebellion of ground troops caused the military to shift to an air war.

"Ultimately, the war claimed the lives of 58,000 Americans.

"Untold numbers were wounded and returned with post-traumatic stress disorder.

"In an astounding statistic, more Vietnam veterans have committed suicide than were killed in the war.
At least be willing to consider what the US will be like fifty years from now if Democrats AND Republicans continue to serve those who get rich from War.
Also as you well know,that revisionist history of theirs also leaves out the same thing our textbooks from our corrupt school system did not tell us which is that LBJ and Nixon were the ones that murderered 58,000 Americans,not the NVA or Vietcong,ask any Vietnam veteran they will tell you the same thing.plus they lie that Nixon ended the war when the war ended only because of patriotic hippies and Vietnam vets put so much pressure on our government with their protests on the steps of Washington that they were forced to end the war thanks to them and had Nixon had his way and he had served a a full second term,the war would have kept going while he was in office if not for the people saying enough is enough.It fails to mention as well I’m sure To mention that Nixon expanded LBJs war in Vietnam with his illegal bombing of Cambodia and that he lied to the American people saying if elected,he would immediately end the war when instead he sabotaged LBJ,s Paris peace talks to end the war and instead of ending it in 1969 as he could easily have had he wanted to,he let the war drag on for another four bloody years.He was as much a traiter to the Vietnam soilders and Americans as LBJ was.

That was a good post by Whitehall but I see the one thing he was ignorant of is saying all democrats got us into major wars in the 20th century and beyond ignoring that Bush illegally invaded Iraq on the false pretense of WMD,s being there when he knew more than anybody there were no WMD,s,he sure is babbling saying there were other reasons which could not be more false,he always gets Something wrong everytime he posts.never fails.lol

New Topics

Forum List

Back