4 Reasons Why Planes Don’t Fly Over the Pacific Ocean.

Mindful

Diamond Member
Sep 5, 2014
Here, there, and everywhere.
Flying over the Pacific Ocean is avoided by most airlines for most flights because it usually doesn’t make sense to fly over it when shorter and safer routes exist.

The Pacific Ocean is also more remote and less safe than the Indian and Atlantic Oceans to fly over, resulting in a higher chance of a plane crashing.

While there are exceptions, most airlines, as part of their operations, don’t fly over the Pacific Ocean.

• Banned
And this is the one which would concern me the most:

When flying over a vast body of water, like the Pacific Ocean, there is no safe place for an emergency landing.

So, in that aspect, it isn’t safe to fly over the Pacific Ocean.

Rescuers would stand very little chance of tracking down and rescuing members of a plane that crashed in the Pacific Ocean, assuming anyone onboard somehow even managed to survive such a crash landing in the first place.

Most airlines therefore prefer to fly over land for this reason, as it’s safer to crash land on solid ground, preferably near an airport where emergency services are available.

They fly over the Pacific all the time they'' island hop'' at least that's what one of my contractors used to tell me. He had a private jet. A girlfriend of mine flew to Japan on commercial airlines so the article may not be accurate.

• Banned
They fly over the Pacific all the time they'' island hop'' at least that's what one of my contractors used to tell me. He had a private jet. A girlfriend of mine flew to Japan on commercial airlines so the article may not be accurate.

I fly over the Atlantic a lot, and have noticed there are “places” to land, within range, should there be an emergency.

I don’t think it’s quite the same over the Pacific.

That must be why aircraft fly from NY to NZ and don't land on places that aren't there.
They may not land but in every flight, there is an alternative place to land. And flying directly over the Pacific leaves you zero options. Even over the Atlantic, we flew over the Azores. One flight I was on (military) had to touch down at the Azores for repairs. All the rest of the 14 C-130s flew no stop to just north of London. But the skirted the coast lands on the way up. There were quite a few mistakes by people trying to make the direct flight. Can I think of any? Neither can you.

They may not land but in every flight, there is an alternative place to land. And flying directly over the Pacific leaves you zero options. Even over the Atlantic, we flew over the Azores. One flight I was on (military) had to touch down at the Azores for repairs. All the rest of the 14 C-130s flew no stop to just north of London. But the skirted the coast lands on the way up. There were quite a few mistakes by people trying to make the direct flight. Can I think of any? Neither can you.

The transAtlantic route.

Once you leave the Irish coast, there’s Iceland and Greenland to divert to, before reaching Nova Scotia.

Correct me if l’m wrong.

They may not land but in every flight, there is an alternative place to land. And flying directly over the Pacific leaves you zero options.
I'm finding it hard to work out how aircraft fly to NZ from the Americas then. Anyone got an explanation?

pacific_globe_att-22i1l0t.png

Last edited:

Forum List

Back