37 Million Honey Bees Dead in Canada

The picture is of a dead honeybee but the story is about bumblebees. Do they know the difference in Oregon? Never let a crisis go to waste so you can bet the radicals will try to blame it on global warming while the culprit is a mite infestation which has been around for decades.

The picture is of a dead honeybee but the story is about bumblebees. Do they know the difference in Oregon? Never let a crisis go to waste so you can bet the radicals will try to blame it on global warming while the culprit is a mite infestation which has been around for decades.

and pesticides

This never happened under bush's watch

right, its all part of obama's plan to destroy our economy and kill white people :cool:

I got stung twice this weekend. I don't know what these people are talking about.

what amazes me is we worry about pesticides but have no concerns over genetically altered crops. who knows what they will effect

Monsanto and Bayer run both shows and there is a big concern over GMOs

right, its all part of obama's plan to destroy our economy and kill white people :cool:

I got stung twice this weekend. I don't know what these people are talking about.

what amazes me is we worry about pesticides but have no concerns over genetically altered crops. who knows what they will effect

Monsanto and Bayer run both shows and there is a big concern over GMOs

there should be. i see trouble coming out of that. who knows what kind of mutations we are going to have

the envirowackos have been screaming about the demise of bees and the resulting demise of humanity for years.

Bees were all over my orange trees when they blossomed earlier this year, they seemed very happy and busy.

Maybe we should stop all human activity until the bee populations returns.

As to pesticides, are you willing to sacrifice an entire crop to bugs? When DDT was banned human beings died because mosquitos reproduced by the billions.

we need to find a balance, not over react to every small thing that happens in nature

(My bold)

DDT was not banned for mosquito control in the World. It was banned in the US, because we could manage pests with other means or chemicals. In Africa, Sri Lanka & other countries where mosquito-borne malaria is prevalent, DDT has always been & remains on the WHO list for vector control. See DDT - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia for a history.

DDT was losing effectiveness anyway, as the mosquitos were adapting genetically to the poison. That is always a problem with topical applications of pesticides - the surviving targets will pass on their resistance to succeeding generations, until you're back to square one. (It's also a problem with common bacteria that have been mis- & over-treated with antibiotics, but that's a different discussion.)

the envirowackos have been screaming about the demise of bees and the resulting demise of humanity for years.

And as you can see, Bees have been dying for years and if that happens then humanity will suffer. Are you saying these two things aren't true? Of course you're not because you cant.

Bees were all over my orange trees when they blossomed earlier this year, they seemed very happy and busy.

"Bees seemed happy" is all you need to read to know how silly that post is

As to pesticides, are you willing to sacrifice an entire crop to bugs? When DDT was banned human beings died because mosquitos reproduced by the billions.

There are no alternatives. The bees must go so that we can have crops. We'll have crops when the bees are gone....wait.

we need to find a balance, not over react to every small thing that happens in nature

37 million bees is a significant issue

Problem with you enviro-Nazis is you're rarely right, about anything. I'm 52 and since the mid 70's the Earth's demise has supposed to happen probably 10 times already.

You moonbats are crazy.

Sometimes right is better than what you offer which is only criticism and counters.

No the earths demise is what you thought was supposed to happen, fortunately what you think has no bearing on the truth. At 52 you should know that feelings aren't a replacement for reality.

Then ends it with "you sure are crazy". Thanks, thanks for that well thought out response buddy.

The reality is that since I started paying attention, they've never been right about anything. Now they want to force me to use light bulbs that require a hazmat team to cleanup when they break.. all to save the Earth.

Now we have Al Gore selling carbon credits to dupes, convincing them to drive stupid electric cars that at the end of the day, require fossil fuels to work, all the while he jets around the globe in a Gulfstream using twice the energy in a month that many use in a year.

:lol:

That's because you haven't been paying attention. Obviously. No such thing as an Ozone or Layer or a hole in both of those.

Oh, uh oooooh...When all else fails make it about Al Gore because you ran out of points.

serious business. How are we going to protect out food supply ?

Ironically, our food supply is leading to the bees' demise.
In the U.S. alone, over 750 million pounds of upwards to 20,000 chemicals are spread far and wide by agriculture. And they will continue to do so in perpetuity.

We pay them to do it. We pay them not to plant. We pay them when the weather goes south. We pay them when crop prices fall.

In the U.S. alone, over 750 million pounds of upwards to 20,000 chemicals are spread far and wide by agriculture. And they will continue to do so in perpetuity.

We pay them to do it. We pay them not to plant. We pay them when the weather goes south. We pay them when crop prices fall.

agreed....

so we should all do our small part to help the bees as much as we can....

plant native flowers that provide pollen and nectar. :eusa_angel:

Farmers deserve to get paid for raising food and there are good reasons to pay them not to produce. As the population explodes food will become more and more vital. It will make our dependence on oil look like a drop in the bucket.

Farmers deserve to get paid for raising food and there are good reasons to pay them not to produce. As the population explodes food will become more and more vital. It will make our dependence on oil look like a drop in the bucket.

look at the increases in food prices in tha last few years. it's starting to out pace oil

And as you can see, Bees have been dying for years and if that happens then humanity will suffer. Are you saying these two things aren't true? Of course you're not because you cant.

"Bees seemed happy" is all you need to read to know how silly that post is

There are no alternatives. The bees must go so that we can have crops. We'll have crops when the bees are gone....wait.

37 million bees is a significant issue

Yes, bees are a necessary part of plant reproduction. I was being sarcastic about the happy bees---don't bees always seem happy and busy?

there are other ways to eliminate crop damaging insects without killing bees, but it is a very delicate balance. Whats the point of saving the bees if the entire citrus crop is destroyed by insects?

my only point is that we do not need to go off half cocked and mandate that no one can use insecticides.

farm subsidies are about the dumbest thing that government has ever come up with. They make the rich land barons richer and drive the family farmers out of business.

But libtards continue to support them--------gotta be that defective liberal gene.

Listen, you Irish quack... :D

We are exporting tens of millions of tons of grains each year.
39 million acres would be better planted in trees than ethanol-bound corn.
Farmers should be required BY LAW not to plant in sensitive areas (near river and creek beds), and to stop draining wetlands... without compensation.
No-till methods should be MANDITORY.

Where's the goddamn EPA?

We are awash in agricultural products yet we pay farmers to produce, produce, produce... yet prices go up and up.

Listen, you Irish quack... :D

We are exporting tens of millions of tons of grains each year.
39 million acres would be better planted in trees than ethanol-bound corn.
Farmers should be required BY LAW not to plant in sensitive areas (near river and creek beds), and to stop draining wetlands... without compensation.
No-till methods should be MANDITORY.

Where's the goddamn EPA?

We are awash in agricultural products yet we pay farmers to produce, produce, produce... yet prices go up and up.

and still there is hunger in the world--go figure.

Millions of honeybees found dead in Canada

Barely two weeks after 25,000 bees were found dead in a parking lot in Oregon, another round of bee devastation has been reported. This time, the mass die-off was far worse. More than 37 million honeybees were found dead in Elmwood, Ontario, according to beekeeper Dave Schuit, who lost the bees from 600 hives in June. He and many others are pointing to insecticides called neonicotinoids, used in planting corn and some other crops. "Once the corn started to get planted [in Elmwood] our bees died by the millions," Schuit said. After a record-breaking loss of honeybees in the U.K., the European Union banned several pesticides in May, including neonicotinoid pesticides

Bumblebees drop from the trees and die en mass in Oregon

It's tough to be a bee these days. Oregon officials are investigating why an estimated 25,000 bumblebees have been found dead in a Target parking lot in Wilsonville, Ore., since Saturday. It's the largest-known death of bumblebees ever in the U.S. Reports of bees falling from the 55 blooming linden trees were still coming into the Oregon Department of Agriculture on Wednesday. Initial findings indicate the trees were sprayed Saturday with the insecticide called Safari, which carries a warning on the label not to spray "if bees are visiting the area." "I've never encountered anything quite like it in 30 years in the business," said Dan Hilburn, director of plant programs at the Oregon Agriculture Department.

No Big deal right? They are just bees....Except here is a list of things Bees pollinate:

Okra
Kiwifruit
Bucket orchid
Onion
Cashew
Atemoya, Cherimoya, Custard apple
Celery
Strawberry tree
American Pawpaw
Carambola, Starfruit
Brazil nut
Beet
Mustard
Rapeseed
Broccoli
Cauliflower
Cabbage
Brussels sprouts
Chinese cabbage
Turnip, Canola
Pigeon pea, Cajan pea, Congo bean
Jack bean, Horse bean, Sword bean
Chilli pepper, Red pepper, Bell pepper, Green pepper
Papaya
Safflower
Caraway
Chestnut
Star apple, Cainito
Watermelon
Tangerine
Tangelo
Coconut
Coffea spp. Coffea arabica, Coffea canephora
Cola nut
Coriander
Crownvetch
Hazelnut
Azarole
Cantaloupe, Melon
Cucumber
Squash (plant), Pumpkin, Gourd, Marrow, Zuchini
Guar bean, Goa bean
Quince
Lemon
Lime
Carrot
Hyacinth bean
Longan
Persimmon
Durian
Oil palm
Cardamom
Loquat
Buckwheat
Feijoa
Fig
Fennel
Strawberry
Stanhopea
Cotton
Sunflower
Walnut
Flax
Lychee
Lupine
Macadamia
Acerola
Apple
Mammee apple
Mango
Sapodilla
Alfalfa
Rambutan
Source: Wikipedia

If not taken seriously these pesticides (oops my bad) can have significant effects:

Consequences[edit]

The value of bee pollination in human nutrition and food for wildlife is immense and difficult to quantify.

It is commonly said that about one third of human nutrition is due to bee pollination. This includes the majority of fruits, many vegetables (or their seed crop) and secondary effects from legumes such as alfalfa and clover fed to livestock.
In 2000, Drs. Roger Morse and Nicholas Calderone of Cornell University, attempted to quantify the effects of just one pollinator, the Western honey bee, on only US food crops. Their calculations came up with a figure of US $14.6 billion in food crop value.

There has not been sufficient study to quantify the effects of pollinator decline on wild plants and wild life that depend on them for feed. Some plants on the endangered species list are endangered because they have lost their normal, native pollinators.[citation needed] Honey bees are not native to the Western Hemisphere. The role of honey bees in the Western Hemisphere is almost exclusively agricultural.

That was horrific in Elmwood. A huge loss. My neighbor has just set up bees for honey production and I'm loving the little busy guys working on my garden.

And I'm going to get free honey. YAY!

The only reason I put up with mosquitoes is they are awesome pollinators. It's the only good thing about the little vampires.

mosquito_lg.jpg

*Mind Blown* I thought Mosquitos were the Devils pet...here for nothing but tormenting humans

My cousin is the state apiest for Kentucky.
He said make no mistake about it, the blame falls squarely on agriculture.
But such revelations will never make its way to the media, for obvious reasons.

Forum List

Back