37 Million Honey Bees Dead in Canada

ClosedCaption

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2010
Millions of honeybees found dead in Canada

Barely two weeks after 25,000 bees were found dead in a parking lot in Oregon, another round of bee devastation has been reported. This time, the mass die-off was far worse. More than 37 million honeybees were found dead in Elmwood, Ontario, according to beekeeper Dave Schuit, who lost the bees from 600 hives in June. He and many others are pointing to insecticides called neonicotinoids, used in planting corn and some other crops. "Once the corn started to get planted [in Elmwood] our bees died by the millions," Schuit said. After a record-breaking loss of honeybees in the U.K., the European Union banned several pesticides in May, including neonicotinoid pesticides

Bumblebees drop from the trees and die en mass in Oregon

It's tough to be a bee these days. Oregon officials are investigating why an estimated 25,000 bumblebees have been found dead in a Target parking lot in Wilsonville, Ore., since Saturday. It's the largest-known death of bumblebees ever in the U.S. Reports of bees falling from the 55 blooming linden trees were still coming into the Oregon Department of Agriculture on Wednesday. Initial findings indicate the trees were sprayed Saturday with the insecticide called Safari, which carries a warning on the label not to spray "if bees are visiting the area." "I've never encountered anything quite like it in 30 years in the business," said Dan Hilburn, director of plant programs at the Oregon Agriculture Department.

No Big deal right? They are just bees....Except here is a list of things Bees pollinate:

Okra
Kiwifruit
Bucket orchid
Onion
Cashew
Atemoya, Cherimoya, Custard apple
Celery
Strawberry tree
American Pawpaw
Carambola, Starfruit
Brazil nut
Beet
Mustard
Rapeseed
Broccoli
Cauliflower
Cabbage
Brussels sprouts
Chinese cabbage
Turnip, Canola
Pigeon pea, Cajan pea, Congo bean
Jack bean, Horse bean, Sword bean
Chilli pepper, Red pepper, Bell pepper, Green pepper
Papaya
Safflower
Caraway
Chestnut
Star apple, Cainito
Watermelon
Tangerine
Tangelo
Coconut
Coffea spp. Coffea arabica, Coffea canephora
Cola nut
Coriander
Crownvetch
Hazelnut
Azarole
Cantaloupe, Melon
Cucumber
Squash (plant), Pumpkin, Gourd, Marrow, Zuchini
Guar bean, Goa bean
Quince
Lemon
Lime
Carrot
Hyacinth bean
Longan
Persimmon
Durian
Oil palm
Cardamom
Loquat
Buckwheat
Feijoa
Fig
Fennel
Strawberry
Stanhopea
Cotton
Sunflower
Walnut
Flax
Lychee
Lupine
Macadamia
Acerola
Apple
Mammee apple
Mango
Sapodilla
Alfalfa
Rambutan
Source: Wikipedia

If not taken seriously these pesticides (oops my bad) can have significant effects:

Consequences[edit]

The value of bee pollination in human nutrition and food for wildlife is immense and difficult to quantify.

It is commonly said that about one third of human nutrition is due to bee pollination. This includes the majority of fruits, many vegetables (or their seed crop) and secondary effects from legumes such as alfalfa and clover fed to livestock.
In 2000, Drs. Roger Morse and Nicholas Calderone of Cornell University, attempted to quantify the effects of just one pollinator, the Western honey bee, on only US food crops. Their calculations came up with a figure of US $14.6 billion in food crop value.

There has not been sufficient study to quantify the effects of pollinator decline on wild plants and wild life that depend on them for feed. Some plants on the endangered species list are endangered because they have lost their normal, native pollinators.[citation needed] Honey bees are not native to the Western Hemisphere. The role of honey bees in the Western Hemisphere is almost exclusively agricultural.

The great bee die-off will be our next global warming emergency.

Before global warming...it was deforestation/hole in the ozone.

It's always something with these nuts. They hold dearly to the concept that we are killing the earth...

And they maintain that killing our babies will fix it.

It's always something with these nuts. They hold dearly to the concept that we are killing the earth...

Right because whenever there is more than one problem in the world that means its all fake :doubt:

Is the Hole in the Ozone fake too? When you say no, then look how silly you look.

Right because whenever there is more than one problem in the world that means its all fake :doubt:

Is the Hole in the Ozone fake too? When you say no, then look how silly you look.

Problem with you enviro-Nazis is you're rarely right, about anything. I'm 52 and since the mid 70's the Earth's demise has supposed to happen probably 10 times already.

You moonbats are crazy.

wow

this is tragic, very serious...and BAD!

I don't know about all of you, but i have been planting bee friendly flowers as fast as i can...everywhere i can.

Problem with you enviro-Nazis is you're rarely right, about anything. I'm 52 and since the mid 70's the Earth's demise has supposed to happen probably 10 times already.

You moonbats are crazy.

Sometimes right is better than what you offer which is only criticism and counters.

No the earths demise is what you thought was supposed to happen, fortunately what you think has no bearing on the truth. At 52 you should know that feelings aren't a replacement for reality.

Then ends it with "you sure are crazy". Thanks, thanks for that well thought out response buddy.

Political jokes aside, man lives in nature, we're part of it - willingly or no. We need clean water & air, cereals & proteins. Bees as pollinators are important to a lot of crops - fruits, vegetables, grasses - which we consume either directly or indirectly. Our meat & dairy animals also feed directly on corn & other crops or by-products of plants that bees pollinate.

We can try to find other pollinators, but the Middle Eastern/European food crops that we grow co-developed with bees. It will take a lot of trial-&-error to find productive substitute pollinators.

the envirowackos have been screaming about the demise of bees and the resulting demise of humanity for years.

Bees were all over my orange trees when they blossomed earlier this year, they seemed very happy and busy.

Maybe we should stop all human activity until the bee populations returns.

As to pesticides, are you willing to sacrifice an entire crop to bugs? When DDT was banned human beings died because mosquitos reproduced by the billions.

we need to find a balance, not over react to every small thing that happens in nature

You moonbats are crazy.

Sometimes right is better than what you offer which is only criticism and counters.

No the earths demise is what you thought was supposed to happen, fortunately what you think has no bearing on the truth. At 52 you should know that feelings aren't a replacement for reality.

Then ends it with "you sure are crazy". Thanks, thanks for that well thought out response buddy.

The reality is that since I started paying attention, they've never been right about anything. Now they want to force me to use light bulbs that require a hazmat team to cleanup when they break.. all to save the Earth.

Now we have Al Gore selling carbon credits to dupes, convincing them to drive stupid electric cars that at the end of the day, require fossil fuels to work, all the while he jets around the globe in a Gulfstream using twice the energy in a month that many use in a year.

:lol:

the envirowackos have been screaming about the demise of bees and the resulting demise of humanity for years.

Bees were all over my orange trees when they blossomed earlier this year, they seemed very happy and busy.

Maybe we should stop all human activity until the bee populations returns.

As to pesticides, are you willing to sacrifice an entire crop to bugs? When DDT was banned human beings died because mosquitos reproduced by the billions.

we need to find a balance, not over react to every small thing that happens in nature

They can't be a balance. As the population explodes something will have to give.

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2013/05/winter-honeybee-losses/

Last edited:
This never happened under bush's watch

right, its all part of obama's plan to destroy our economy and kill white people :cool:

I got stung twice this weekend. I don't know what these people are talking about.

what amazes me is we worry about pesticides but have no concerns over genetically altered crops. who knows what they will effect

Forum List

Back