37 Million Honey Bees Dead in Canada

The picture is of a dead honeybee but the story is about bumblebees. Do they know the difference in Oregon? Never let a crisis go to waste so you can bet the radicals will try to blame it on global warming while the culprit is a mite infestation which has been around for decades.

Stupid ass. In Oregon, near where I live it was bumblebees killed by a pesticide. We can well do without the pesticides, we cannot do without the pollinators, bumblebees and honeybees.

As I said before.

The bee thing is the human-caused global warming crisis of the future.

If you're worried about bees, raise them. I haven't noticed any crops dying off because of lack of bees.

wow

this is tragic, very serious...and BAD!

I don't know about all of you, but i have been planting bee friendly flowers as fast as i can...everywhere i can.

Me too! My bees are all doing well right now. They are still buzzing around my potted plants on patio. Garden too. Scary news.

Millions of honeybees found dead in Canada

Barely two weeks after 25,000 bees were found dead in a parking lot in Oregon, another round of bee devastation has been reported. This time, the mass die-off was far worse. More than 37 million honeybees were found dead in Elmwood, Ontario, according to beekeeper Dave Schuit, who lost the bees from 600 hives in June. He and many others are pointing to insecticides called neonicotinoids, used in planting corn and some other crops. "Once the corn started to get planted [in Elmwood] our bees died by the millions," Schuit said. After a record-breaking loss of honeybees in the U.K., the European Union banned several pesticides in May, including neonicotinoid pesticides

Bumblebees drop from the trees and die en mass in Oregon

It's tough to be a bee these days. Oregon officials are investigating why an estimated 25,000 bumblebees have been found dead in a Target parking lot in Wilsonville, Ore., since Saturday. It's the largest-known death of bumblebees ever in the U.S. Reports of bees falling from the 55 blooming linden trees were still coming into the Oregon Department of Agriculture on Wednesday. Initial findings indicate the trees were sprayed Saturday with the insecticide called Safari, which carries a warning on the label not to spray "if bees are visiting the area." "I've never encountered anything quite like it in 30 years in the business," said Dan Hilburn, director of plant programs at the Oregon Agriculture Department.

No Big deal right? They are just bees....Except here is a list of things Bees pollinate:

Okra
Kiwifruit
Bucket orchid
Onion
Cashew
Atemoya, Cherimoya, Custard apple
Celery
Strawberry tree
American Pawpaw
Carambola, Starfruit
Brazil nut
Beet
Mustard
Rapeseed
Broccoli
Cauliflower
Cabbage
Brussels sprouts
Chinese cabbage
Turnip, Canola
Pigeon pea, Cajan pea, Congo bean
Jack bean, Horse bean, Sword bean
Chilli pepper, Red pepper, Bell pepper, Green pepper
Papaya
Safflower
Caraway
Chestnut
Star apple, Cainito
Watermelon
Tangerine
Tangelo
Coconut
Coffea spp. Coffea arabica, Coffea canephora
Cola nut
Coriander
Crownvetch
Hazelnut
Azarole
Cantaloupe, Melon
Cucumber
Squash (plant), Pumpkin, Gourd, Marrow, Zuchini
Guar bean, Goa bean
Quince
Lemon
Lime
Carrot
Hyacinth bean
Longan
Persimmon
Durian
Oil palm
Cardamom
Loquat
Buckwheat
Feijoa
Fig
Fennel
Strawberry
Stanhopea
Cotton
Sunflower
Walnut
Flax
Lychee
Lupine
Macadamia
Acerola
Apple
Mammee apple
Mango
Sapodilla
Alfalfa
Rambutan
Source: Wikipedia

If not taken seriously these pesticides (oops my bad) can have significant effects:

Consequences[edit]

The value of bee pollination in human nutrition and food for wildlife is immense and difficult to quantify.

It is commonly said that about one third of human nutrition is due to bee pollination. This includes the majority of fruits, many vegetables (or their seed crop) and secondary effects from legumes such as alfalfa and clover fed to livestock.
In 2000, Drs. Roger Morse and Nicholas Calderone of Cornell University, attempted to quantify the effects of just one pollinator, the Western honey bee, on only US food crops. Their calculations came up with a figure of US $14.6 billion in food crop value.

There has not been sufficient study to quantify the effects of pollinator decline on wild plants and wild life that depend on them for feed. Some plants on the endangered species list are endangered because they have lost their normal, native pollinators.[citation needed] Honey bees are not native to the Western Hemisphere. The role of honey bees in the Western Hemisphere is almost exclusively agricultural.

Republicans not going to believe what you are saying. Too much "science" involved. Remember when "McCain/Palin" made fun of government studies looking into this problem?

So how do you loons deal with the reality that honey bees were brought to North America by Europeans? They aren't native? Hello?

It's like saying, "OMG the introduced azalea plant is dying off! We're all going to DIE!"

If honey bees all died off tomorrow, the US bee situation would have reverted to it's natural, native state....

i.e., no honey bees.

Horrors.

So how do you loons deal with the reality that honey bees were brought to North America by Europeans? They aren't native? Hello?

(My bold)

Yah, but the bees pollinate the crops that the Europeans brought with them to the Americas. Someone put up a list earlier. As I recall, it's fruits, cereals, grasses, some vegetables. So if you're willing to do without the imported crops, you'll be fine.

Otherwise, it's a real issue. Unless you're volunteering you & yours to replace the pollination that the bees would ordinarily be doing?

(My bold)

Yah, but the bees pollinate the crops that the Europeans brought with them to the Americas. Someone put up a list earlier. As I recall, it's fruits, cereals, grasses, some vegetables. So if you're willing to do without the imported crops, you'll be fine.

Otherwise, it's a real issue. Unless you're volunteering you & yours to replace the pollination that the bees would ordinarily be doing?

And he called that "reality". Hilarious.

Apis mellifera are not native to the Americas and therefore were not present upon the arrival of the European explorers and colonists. There were, however, other native bee species kept and traded by indigenous peoples.[6] In 1622, European colonists brought the dark bee (A. m. mellifera) to the Americas, followed later by Italian bees (A. m. ligustica) and others. Many of the crops that depend on honey bees for pollination have also been imported since colonial times. Escaped swarms (known as "wild" bees, but actually feral) spread rapidly as far as the Great Plains, usually preceding the colonists. Honey bees did not naturally cross the Rocky Mountains; they were transported by the Mormon pioneers[7] to Utah in the late 1840s, and by ship to California in the early 1850s.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honey_bee

(My bold)

So how many crop failures have there been so far, due to honey bee population reduction?

None, you say?

That's what I thought.

Bumble bees are our native pollinators.

If our artificially introduced bees die off, things will still be pollinated.

you people think people are WAY more important to the earth than they really are, you know.

(My bold)

So how many crop failures have there been so far, due to honey bee population reduction?

None, you say?

That's what I thought.

(My bold)

Ah, you want to wait until there's a full-fledged crisis. There's good information @ Pollinator decline - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Well, I can't say much for your strategy. I prefer to study the problem before it's the end of the World, myself. But to each his own ...

Nonetheless, I dream of keeping bees someday.

I've kept bees for many years.

Believe me - there's not a bee on this planet who would stay with you. Bees would be slitting their little bee throats and carrying out all sorts of suicide/murder pacts rather than be in your company.

Sorry, but its true.

None, you say?

That's what I thought.

One reason why they would pack up their old kit bags and run away from home is that you have done NO homework and have NO facts.

you people think people are WAY more important to the earth than they really are, you know.

Wow. You come very close with this. Cool.

Yes, there are secondary pollinators doing their best. If we're lucky, they will humbly leap into the breach. Still, there are some crops and plants that simply will not be pollinated by any other than our dear honey bees. It may remain that way. In which case, get out your paintbrushes and get busy.

Before you decide to keep bees, educate yourself. The way you write, you'll just be wasting money and killing bees.

Wow, you know so much science. Scientists should be listening to you.

No just kidding. I like make fun of stupid.

What makes honeybees the best pollinators is that they rapidly reproduce and pollinate a huge variety of crops. A reduction in pollination means a price increase Republicans can blame on Obama.

Then, of course, there is the honey.

Honey products and uses

It's like saying, "OMG the introduced azalea plant is dying off! We're all going to DIE!"

If honey bees all died off tomorrow, the US bee situation would have reverted to it's natural, native state....

i.e., no honey bees.

Horrors.

399px-Cornselection.jpg

Yea, you keep eating that "natural, native corn" on the left. Me? I like the "new fangled stuff" on the right.

Forum List

Back