3 things we like or respect about our opposing numbers

What is difficult about finding common ground today, is the nation is so terribly polarized. Few people, on both sides, are thinking very clear at all. Too busy repeating rhetorical garbage and mud slinging to stop and have a clear thought.
So concerning Washington politics it is basically impossible for me to find common ground with the majority of the left. They will not give up an inch of perceived ground - scared to death to give a conservative a one up.
I have said many times, and I am being completely honest and objective - ANYONE who believes this President is a good one either has no clue about reality, or is being dishonest and is more interested in scoring points and arguing than rational thinking.
Period.
So you whine about common ground and then say that anyone who believes this president is good is either lying or disconnected from reality. Now, that's the fair and balanced thinking we have grown to expect from fox drones. Idiot.

Are you suggesting that there is a real view that makes Obumbler a good president?

I realize it's fashionable for right wingers to claim to be independents, or conservatives, or even fluffy kitties, but when was the last time you voted for anyone other than a republican?
You are right in your assumption that I generally do not vote for democrats. I think the reason for that is that I don't want anything for nothing. I do not sell my vote. I usually vote against those who fabricate laws take somebody's possessions to give it to somebody else. It is unfortunate that there are very few candidates to vote FOR, so I vote my convictions or settle voting for the lesser evil thus still helping to erode unalienable rights because the lesser evil is still evil.

Right......Like I said. You're another republican who is too embarrassed or dishonest to admit it.
You know, I made the mistake to talk to you as one would to an open minded lib who respects the views of others without sinking into a level of accusations of being dishonest. Everybody is a reflection of his own soul. One is dishonest therefore one assumes - as a reflection of ones own soul - that everybody is dishonest.
Oh wow.....What a crock. You vote Republican, but claim you aren't a republican. That's the definition of a lie. Inferring that I am dishonest because I call out your dishonesty is a typical GOP tactic. I am open minded, but after reading your previous posts, I chose to not to be so open minded till my brain falls out. That would make me a republican.
You need to read more carefully. Maybe you did but unable to comprehend what I sincerely doubt. You are just a spin doctor on the Administration's payroll. How does it feel to get paid from taxpayers' money having fun with mud slinging all day?
Hell, I wish I could get paid for this. I enjoy laughing at teabaggers anyway, but a few extra bucks would be great. I would also like some of that free stuff right wingers are always talking about. I've checked everywhere I know of, but haven't found any yet. Maybe I should ask fox. They act like they know something about it.

What is difficult about finding common ground today, is the nation is so terribly polarized. Few people, on both sides, are thinking very clear at all. Too busy repeating rhetorical garbage and mud slinging to stop and have a clear thought.
So concerning Washington politics it is basically impossible for me to find common ground with the majority of the left. They will not give up an inch of perceived ground - scared to death to give a conservative a one up.
I have said many times, and I am being completely honest and objective - ANYONE who believes this President is a good one either has no clue about reality, or is being dishonest and is more interested in scoring points and arguing than rational thinking.
Period.
So you whine about common ground and then say that anyone who believes this president is good is either lying or disconnected from reality. Now, that's the fair and balanced thinking we have grown to expect from fox drones. Idiot.

Are you suggesting that there is a real view that makes Obumbler a good president?
Not in the teabagger bubble, but if you care to join the rest of the world there is plenty of proof.

I'm very much a liberal,

Assumes facts not in evidence.

Why, because I don't hold to your brain dead progressive ideals? I am for gay marriage, I am for drug legalization, I am for some form of health care, obama care is not the system that will work, but there clearly needs to be something better than what we have. I am anti multinational corporations and pro small mom and pop corporations and other small business. I am anti tax unless the tax is for a SPECIFIC purpose. I am anti big government, because big government leads to loss of personal liberty which is the life's blood of a liberal.

I can go on and on, but the basics are I am for the maximum personal liberty and the minimum of governmental power. In other words "liberty from government", the original, true liberals. You're not a liberal, you're a progressive. Progressives believe that people are stupid and that government should be the mom and dad and that the people shouldn't be trusted with their money or with liberty because they "might" abuse it.

I'm very much a liberal,

Why, because I don't hold to your brain dead progressive ideals? I am for gay marriage, I am for drug legalization, I am for some form of health care, obama care is not the system that will work, but there clearly needs to be something better than what we have. I am anti multinational corporations and pro small mom and pop corporations and other small business. I am anti tax unless the tax is for a SPECIFIC purpose. I am anti big government, because big government leads to loss of personal liberty which is the life's blood of a liberal.

I can go on and on, but the basics are I am for the maximum personal liberty and the minimum of governmental power. In other words "liberty from government", the original, true liberals. You're not a liberal, you're a progressive. Progressives believe that people are stupid and that government should be the mom and dad and that the people shouldn't be trusted with their money or with liberty because they "might" abuse it.

By your own admission you are not a liberal at all.

Instead you are a Libertarian.

Kindly refrain from demeaning genuine liberals with Libertarian dogma.

If you are a "liberal" or "progressive" or a "left winger" or some variation on that theme, then your "opposing number' would be conservatives or so-called "right wingers." And vice versa.

Like the old parlor game "gun to your head" the time has come to be bold and declarative. You cannot hate everything your opposing numbers stand for. Right? So, NAME the three things you most admire or respect or even share with your opposing numbers.

Like this:

I am a conservative. By conservative I do not mean 'social conservative' or some other adjective driven version of political conservatism. I mean a "conservative" in the sense that I believe we should adhere to the principles of a limited Constitutional Republic with allegiance to fiscal responsibility, the rule of law and an endorsement of the "civil society." Like that. As such, I generally disagree with the left wing side of the political spectrum. But, gun to my head, I can acknowledge some aspects of what we used to call "liberalism:"

1. The tendency of liberals to endorse the notion that we should become ever more determined to be as good as our Nation's historical promise. I reject the notion of "fundamental change," but kind of like changes that bring us closer to the old view of the promise of America.

2. I reject the notion that only liberals embrace principles of racial and sexual fairness, but I do admire their efforts to move us ever closer to the goal of being a fair and just society regardless of race or gender or gender identity.

3. I respect the modern American liberals' embrace of freedom of speech. I will not quibble too much on discussing when they fail to honor it themselves. The part I admire is the GENERAL notion that a free marketplace of ideas is a goal well worth trying to obtain.

Curious to see what others think. I was tempted to put this in a flame free zone, but the placement itself could lead to a derailment. So, I'm opting to put it in a more free-wheeling arena. I guess we'll see how that works out.
I'm trying to follow Christ but I'm pushing you first so I must be a conservative. lol. I like this post but you didn't go far enough. I'm a free thinker who doesn't want to identify along party lines that divide us all from the whole purpose of the constitution. i don't believe in war but do believe in defending one self. i believe we need oil but should move away from it rapidly. i believe abortion isn't fun but necessary in this world we all want control over. I believe all religions have been hi jacked for personal false profits and power. I believe in Jesus's truths and don't think it clashes with evolutionary theory. I believe our paid for politicians and lying lawyers are leading us to hell on earth. Who am I? what side do I fall under? label me please. It hurts so good.

I'm very much a liberal,

No, I am not a libertarian, because libertarians are also isolationists which I am not. They are also pro multinational corporations, which I clearly am not. So as usual, you are full of shit and have no clue of what you are talking about because you are a progressive parrot with no brain of your own. You trot out the little phrases and talking points your masters order you to and nothing more. You're a drone, a robot, but stupid, like you accuse free thinkers of being.

And like the typical progressive you are, you like to ORDER people around. Well piss off. You take care of yourself, and I'll take care of myself.

Sorry guy, but liberalism is the political belief in individualism and fairness.
Liberal economics is, by definition, the belief in an economic system free from government interference...a free market system. Look it up.
Progressivism is not liberalism. Economically speaking, American modern liberalism is not liberalism. It is, again, by definition progressivism. The belief that the free market system is inherently unfair. And that a more socialized system is the better system.

I'm very much a liberal,

No, I am not a libertarian, because libertarians are also isolationists which I am not. They are also pro multinational corporations, which I clearly am not. So as usual, you are full of shit and have no clue of what you are talking about because you are a progressive parrot with no brain of your own. You trot out the little phrases and talking points your masters order you to and nothing more. You're a drone, a robot, but stupid, like you accuse free thinkers of being.

And like the typical progressive you are, you like to ORDER people around. Well piss off. You take care of yourself, and I'll take care of myself.

cereal_killer
theDoctorisIn
AngelsNDemons
AVG-JOE
Coyote
Dont Taz Me Bro

Is an inflammatory response of this nature appropriate for a USMB moderator?

The reason I am asking is because according to my understanding of the USMB rules telling off a mod in public is likely to earn a timeout for the poster concerned.

Receiving a flaming post of this nature might certainly have resulted in another member getting annoyed enough to respond in kind.

Speaking for myself I just find it amusing so I am actually :lol: that this was the best that WW could come back with in a thread that is all about "respect" for "our opposing numbers".

But if the mods are going flame posters then is it fair to penalize them if they retaliate in kind or should mods be setting the tone for "civil discourse" in USMB?

Just asking because I would really like to know your opinions.

TYIA

I'm very much a liberal,

cereal_killer
theDoctorisIn
AngelsNDemons
AVG-JOE
Coyote
Dont Taz Me Bro

The reason I am asking is because according to my understanding of the USMB rules telling off a mod in public is likely to earn a timeout for the poster concerned.

Receiving a flaming post of this nature might certainly have resulted in another member getting annoyed enough to respond in kind.

Speaking for myself I just find it amusing so I am actually :lol: that this was the best that WW could come back with in a thread that is all about "respect" for "our opposing numbers".

But if the mods are going flame posters then is it fair to penalize them if they retaliate in kind or should mods be setting the tone for "civil discourse" in USMB?

TYIA

I don't want to derail the thread so I'm going to respond briefly and ask that any other responses be taken up via PM.

Moderators are members. We post with our member hat and we post with our moderator hat. When we are wearing our member hat, we can post just like anyone else AND we can be flamed back just like anyone else -- within the rules of course. How we choose to post is up to each of us - we're all individuals and we're all members as well. We don't give that up when we become moderators :)

When we are wearing our Red Hats (moderator hats) we post in red, we post respectfully (more or less) and those moderator posts should not be responded to our flamed because they are posted for moderation purposes.

I'm very much a liberal,

cereal_killer
theDoctorisIn
AngelsNDemons
AVG-JOE
Coyote
Dont Taz Me Bro

TYIA

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: You're just like Stat! Anytime I call him on his silliness he whines to ck too! You guys are hilarious! Typical sniveling little twerps can't take the heat of the kitchen when they are the ones who start the fire!

1d3c74de59869469bab3ea04713e71b1.jpg

I can't think of a thing.

10403086_765467123546344_7000274880048226410_n_zpsc9aa838b.jpg

DEMOCRAT PLATFORM: THE BEST GOVERNMENT SOMEONE ELSES MONEY CAN BUY

HEALTHCARE: Someone else pays for it
ECONOMIC RECOVERY: It started the day Obama took office and hasn't stopped
JOBS: Low pay/part time/tons of benefits far exceeding value of job, 92 million out of work
WOMENS RIGHTS: exceeding mens
CIVIL RIGHTS: exceeding everyone elses
GAY RIGHTS: way way more than any straight person (even though there is no such thing legally as a "gay right", just don't remind them of that)
SOCIAL SECURITY: would start it at 18 if they could
ENERGY: batteries
ENVIRONMENT: is more important than anything else, damn the real world (ignore the fact that strip mining for the lithium for LI-ION batteries for electric cars is extremely damaging to the environment, and that charging an electric car creates more pollution at the power plant than running a gas car the same distance)
NATIONAL DEBT: double it in 6 years
EDUCATION: anyone but the person being educated should have to pay
WALL STREET REFORM: the gov't owns everything
THE AMERICAN DREAM: unending debt

Last edited:
I'm very much a liberal,

cereal_killer
theDoctorisIn
AngelsNDemons
AVG-JOE
Coyote
Dont Taz Me Bro

TYIA
:crybaby::eusa_boohoo:

cereal_killer
theDoctorisIn
AngelsNDemons
AVG-JOE
Coyote
Dont Taz Me Bro

TYIA

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: You're just like Stat! Anytime I call him on his silliness he whines to ck too! You guys are hilarious! Typical sniveling little twerps can't take the heat of the kitchen when they are the ones who start the fire!

Are you speaking as a member, or as a mod?

Either way, you just derailed a thread. Why does that not surprise me....

I'm very much a liberal,

cereal_killer
theDoctorisIn
AngelsNDemons
AVG-JOE
Coyote
Dont Taz Me Bro

TYIA
If you call that a flame post you need to change your tampon and take a Midol.

cereal_killer
theDoctorisIn
AngelsNDemons
AVG-JOE
Coyote
Dont Taz Me Bro

TYIA

Are you speaking as a member, or as a mod?

Either way, you just derailed a thread. Why does that not surprise me....

The only time I am speaking as a Mod is when it is in RED. At all other times I am a MEMBER, just like you. I can be flamed and I promise...I absolutely promise, I will never whine...or snivel about it....to anyone. I'm a grownup and can take whatever you can dish out....so feel free to flame away so long as it is within the rules, in other words no accusations of pedophilia, no family attacks etc.

And, no...your little buddy DT derailed it by making a baseless accusation, and then whining about it when I blew his pathetic argument out of the water. So, to get it back on point, I once again invite everyone to detail those things they admire about the "opposing" side.

I will reiterate, I find the conservatives sense of generosity to be wonderful as is their sense of patriotism and their desire for smaller government...

If you are a "liberal" or "progressive" or a "left winger" or some variation on that theme, then your "opposing number' would be conservatives or so-called "right wingers." And vice versa.

Like the old parlor game "gun to your head" the time has come to be bold and declarative. You cannot hate everything your opposing numbers stand for. Right? So, NAME the three things you most admire or respect or even share with your opposing numbers.

Like this:

I am a conservative. By conservative I do not mean 'social conservative' or some other adjective driven version of political conservatism. I mean a "conservative" in the sense that I believe we should adhere to the principles of a limited Constitutional Republic with allegiance to fiscal responsibility, the rule of law and an endorsement of the "civil society." Like that. As such, I generally disagree with the left wing side of the political spectrum. But, gun to my head, I can acknowledge some aspects of what we used to call "liberalism:"

1. The tendency of liberals to endorse the notion that we should become ever more determined to be as good as our Nation's historical promise. I reject the notion of "fundamental change," but kind of like changes that bring us closer to the old view of the promise of America.

2. I reject the notion that only liberals embrace principles of racial and sexual fairness, but I do admire their efforts to move us ever closer to the goal of being a fair and just society regardless of race or gender or gender identity.

3. I respect the modern American liberals' embrace of freedom of speech. I will not quibble too much on discussing when they fail to honor it themselves. The part I admire is the GENERAL notion that a free marketplace of ideas is a goal well worth trying to obtain.

Curious to see what others think. I was tempted to put this in a flame free zone, but the placement itself could lead to a derailment. So, I'm opting to put it in a more free-wheeling arena. I guess we'll see how that works out.

I'm a liberal and

a. Of course we should have a limited government. But you guys go too far. And what you want to eliminate are social programs and social services that our society has deemed important and helpful. Headstart or Planned Parenthood for example. You "conservatives" just don't get it why we have such programs. And you don't attack the wasteful military spending nearly as much as you do the money we spend to help the less fortunate in this country. Countries aren't measured by how its richest citizens are doing. If they were every country would be great. Because the rich are great everyone. A country is measured by how its worst citizens are doing. Upward mobility. Public education. Affordable healthcare. Government jobs in highly populated urban areas. Welfare and foodstamps for people who have fallen.

We waste so much on the war on drugs. Want to cut government? End the war on drugs.

And if it weren't for war, I don't know if capitalism would even survive. Seems dependent on the Military Industrial Complex which to me is half socialism. Who are those private companies selling to? The government is their only customer.

1. I would respect conservatives if they weren't being brainwashed by the two things they worship. Money and religion. The principle of smaller government, fiscal responsibility, less government where private industry can handle the needs of our citizens, family values. But its all a lie. They're just the greedy manipulating or conning the masses with social wedge issues.

2. I admire how even though conservatives are wrong time and time again, they never admit guilt and they never seem to get caught. They caused the global recession yet blamed it on everyone but themselves and no one ever called them on it. Probably because they own the corporate media. They were able to blame Freddy and Fanny, Carter, Clinton, Obama, Pelosi & Reed. Anyone but admit they caused the meltdown. Their deregulations to the mortgage and banking industries. They lied us into Iraq and created 2 quagmires and never really accepted full responsibility for the mess they created. They denied, in fact still deny global warming even though its a fact.

They sent 700.000 jobs a month overseas. Do you know how they get away with this one? All they have to say is , "hey, Clinton signed NAFTA". Conservatives are very slick bastards, I'll give them that.

It was the GOP that said let the illegals in because they were just doing jobs American's wouldn't do. Does anyone blame or remember it was them who said that?

Romney wanted GM and Chrysler to go bankrupt. That would have been a horrible idea. Yet here he is running for a 3rd time.

They were the ones who didn't want to let the slaves go free yet somehow today have the nerve to argue that it never happened. Know how they get out of that one? Back then in the deep south the racist politicians were Democrats. So in their minds, they don't think it was THEM that fought the civil rights.

It was the GOP senators that voted with the cigarette companies when we knew they were causing cancer. Yet we still believe anything a Republican says? We should know by know all they speak is corporate lawyer double talk.

All these things and America seems to have a very short memory for remembering that it was the GOP that fucked us all along the way.

Forum List

Back