1970 vs 2016 auto's

The seed of this topic is a conversation I had with some folks at a place called Eric Peters Autos. THEY firmly believe that their personal rights are being attacked (and I tend to agree) because it is illegal to manufacture or purchase that 1970 tech auto in the USA at any price. The politics of the legality is why I figure my topic is OK in this particular forum.
I'd tend to agree with you guys. It's all about the nanny state deciding what's best for us. We've been moving from citizens to subjects for a long time.

The 70s used heavier metal and I think with a few updates could be a good car. Gas mileage could be improved too but it should be up to us, not mother government.

As far as a compact, I always liked the looks of a Falcon. Never had one so don't know if they were any good. And it's compact by 1970s standards!

iu

If it were possible to buy a new 1970 compact auto for its inflation adjusted 1970 price (around $14500) or a current typical compact auto your choice would be?
No doubt about it, the current models. Current automobiles are light years ahead of a 1970's auto from the standpoint of features, safety, efficiency and quality not to mention they'll typically last at least twice as long.

In other words you're getting much more value for the money from today's automobiles, global competition has played a large part in that as well as enormous advances in technology.
I agree. But repair costs are up. All that electric shit is rough on the wallet and labor costs.
Older machines were more simple. However, the luxury is undeniable.
To a certain degree yes but the other side of that coin is that diagnostics are much quicker and far more accurate.

If it were possible to buy a new 1970 compact auto for its inflation adjusted 1970 price (around $14500) or a current typical compact auto your choice would be?

I agree that this doesn't really belong in politics, but the inflation adjusted price is not really accurate. First, most cars in the 1970's, including Toyota's, did not use fuel injection. This meant that the mileage and fuel economy was insufficient by modern standards. Second, the crash ratings of those 1970's cars would make them death traps by modern standards. Even the joke Smart cars have more protection for the occupants than a similar compact car from that era.

By the time you add in all those safety features, and pollution restrictions, and fuel economy requirements, you end up with a car that is much more expensive than the inflation adjusted car you started this thread with.

Volkswagen Beetles for example, inexpensive, reliable, easy to work on, easy to repair and replace. Once you add in all the mandated equipment, now is more expensive, heavier, and granted, more economical with gasoline. It is also safer, and more crashworthy.

The question is what would you want your kids in? A 1970's Toyota Corolla or a 2016 Toyota Corolla? Both have 4 cylinder engines. The modern one is heavier, goes farther on a gallon of gasoline, has reinforced doors to reduce intrusions into the passenger area, crumple zones to help absorb the impact, air bags to help cushion the G-Forces endured in an accident. Preloaded seat belts that automatically tighten when an accident happens. Produces Carbon Dioxide instead of Carbon Monoxide.

You would not only be giving up anti-lock brakes, but giving up disk brakes for drums, which are worse.

Now with all that to consider, you can still get some compact cars in the general ballpark of the price you're talking about. Kia and Hyundai and several other makers have cars in that general price range.

I understand the differences in technology. BTW, that '1970' car could likely be built in a modern factory and sold at a profit for maybe $8 - 9K. Question is should consumers be by law denied that choice?
Consumers have a choice, they can buy a more modern vehicle or restore an old one but manufacturers can't make vehicles that are not compliant with law, specifically safety laws.
They can however make a vehicle with a 1970s look as long as it conforms to existing emissions and safety laws the problem with that is the cost will be comparable to today's prices.

The seed of this topic is a conversation I had with some folks at a place called Eric Peters Autos. THEY firmly believe that their personal rights are being attacked (and I tend to agree) because it is illegal to manufacture or purchase that 1970 tech auto in the USA at any price. The politics of the legality is why I figure my topic is OK in this particular forum.
I'd tend to agree with you guys. It's all about the nanny state deciding what's best for us. We've been moving from citizens to subjects for a long time.

The 70s used heavier metal and I think with a few updates could be a good car. Gas mileage could be improved too but it should be up to us, not mother government.

As far as a compact, I always liked the looks of a Falcon. Never had one so don't know if they were any good. And it's compact by 1970s standards!

iu

That's a Torino, not a Falcon.

iu

That's a Torino, not a Falcon.
Ah thanks. Then I'm switching my vote.

No doubt about it, the current models. Current automobiles are light years ahead of a 1970's auto from the standpoint of features, safety, efficiency and quality not to mention they'll typically last at least twice as long.

In other words you're getting much more value for the money from today's automobiles, global competition has played a large part in that as well as enormous advances in technology.
I agree. But repair costs are up. All that electric shit is rough on the wallet and labor costs.
Older machines were more simple. However, the luxury is undeniable.
To a certain degree yes but the other side of that coin is that diagnostics are much quicker and far more accurate.
touché!

A car in the 1970's had a lifespan of about 60k miles...
you could get 100k before major work started to be needed. but its not like today's cars. if your car dies before 200k now, you just dont know how to take care of something, and chances are even if you never do anything as far as regular maintenance, you still will see 200k out of it.
Its funny but the biggest change that came was in the 70s cars got their speed and power from the engine, pure horsepower to drive a steep set of gears. Then came the end of the 80s up until now, cars got their speed and power from High RPMs and not as steep gearing with a 6th gear added for highway. Not as much from the horsepower as it is the 8000 rpm redline.
70s the average engine had a redline around 4500 rpm, now its not unusual to see anywhere from 8 to 13000 rpm redlines. Back in the day you really had to do some major reworking of the engine to get 8000 without having your engine end up in 3 states at once. hell, just to keep the valves from floating at 5k required a roller cam.
And then add to that the highway rpm of todays engine VS that of a 70s vehicle, back then 70 mph was right around 3k and that was on my olds with the 455 CID in it. Now my truck is around 1700 rpm at 70mph. Big difference when you think about it. the old engine was turning almost twice as fast as the new one at cruising speed. then when you consider you were turning 3k in an engine that redlined at 4500, thats getting up there VS 1700 in something that redlines at 6k. barely working. Took me years to admit this but, they may not make the horsepower at the lower RPMs, but todays engines are so much better than they were years ago. I have 250k on my truck right now and as God is my witness it has never broke down (engine or trans) and I still have confidence enough in it to know that I can tow heavy weight long distances on the highway and not have the least bit of worry that its getting too old to take it. If it doesnt make 500k minimum and still able to tow with it, I did something very wrong.

I had a 1975 Chevy Vega.... looked great, but what a piece of shit. Aluminum block.... yeah, great idea.

I had a 1975 Chevy Vega.... looked great, but what a piece of shit. Aluminum block.... yeah, great idea.
oh yes, the old Cogsworth aluminum engine. for a small car in the day they really were not that bad. Compared to what you get today they were total crap, but in the day if you cared for it right and drove it right there was no reason you couldnt get a good solid 50k out of that engine before it was toasted enough to smear butter on it.

I know Eric Peters and I don't think you have that right. His point is the government has fucked up everything with their regulations on fuel mileage and crash tests, that cars are too expensive, too complicated, and too heavy. I had a VW Jetta diesel in 1979. The damn thing got 55 mpg and ran like top. Thanks to Uncle diesels were regulated so heavily for emissions that Americans got screwed.

You can always count on Uncle to fuck up everything.

Forum List

Back