1970 vs 2016 auto's

If it were possible to buy a new 1970 compact auto for its inflation adjusted 1970 price (around $14500) or a current typical compact auto your choice would be?

Base model Dodge Dart...6 cylinder, 4-speed manual, no options except air conditioning, fast-ratio manual steering, and disc brakes.

I had a 1975 Chevy Vega.... looked great, but what a piece of shit. Aluminum block.... yeah, great idea.

The difference today is that Aluminium is a perfectly good choice for many engine blocks including the Twin Turbo V-6 in the GTR which produces some 500 horsepower. Better metallurgy is only one advance that has improved modern cars over the cars of the 1970's.

If it were possible to buy a new 1970 compact auto for its inflation adjusted 1970 price (around $14500) or a current typical compact auto your choice would be?

It would have to be the Lancia Stratos! What a gorgeous beast!

379897.jpg

lancia-stratos-01.jpg

Base model Dodge Dart...6 cylinder, 4-speed manual, no options except air conditioning, fast-ratio manual steering, and disc brakes.

And a cool 8 track to impress the chicks

Only car I ever had from the 70's was a 74 mustang 2. A pinto. What a POS. I love my 2011 5.7 hemi jeep. Screw the fuel economy.

I understand the differences in technology. BTW, that '1970' car could likely be built in a modern factory and sold at a profit for maybe $8 - 9K. Question is should consumers be by law denied that choice?
Consumers have a choice, they can buy a more modern vehicle or restore an old one but manufacturers can't make vehicles that are not compliant with law, specifically safety laws.
They can however make a vehicle with a 1970s look as long as it conforms to existing emissions and safety laws the problem with that is the cost will be comparable to today's prices.

As I said it illegal to build or buy that 1970's tech car. Choice has been taken away under colour of
'law' in an area of life where the State has no business.
You mean like the laws that give car dealers a virtual monopoly because of the influence of the powerful Dealer Lobbies?

Not specifically, but now that you mention it yes a clear area of rent seeking activity and who will ever forget the obama regime choosing GM and Chrysler dealerships to cull during the Great Auto Bankruptcy based on which party the dealership owners made political payoffs to.
Yet it was Reagan, Bush and almost all the Republican Governors who where in the Dealer Lobbies pockets and passed all those laws giving dealerships a virtual monopoly....... Yup, both sides are crooks......
In your delusions perhaps as dealerships have been the way the retail auto business is done since the 1920's.

Only car I ever had from the 70's was a 74 mustang 2. A pinto. What a POS. I love my 2011 5.7 hemi jeep. Screw the fuel economy.

My cars from the early 70s were crap

I had a 74 Maverick, 75 Plymouth Duster

Rusted out at 80,000 miles, squeaked, needed constant maintenance

My parents had a 74 vega. I think that made it to 80k. What a low powered gutless car that was.
Who can ever forget the AMC Pacer. Only KIA is capable of making cars as ugly as that.
Not the best cars during that decade and even new Harley-Davidson's would leak oil on the showroom floor.

Consumers have a choice, they can buy a more modern vehicle or restore an old one but manufacturers can't make vehicles that are not compliant with law, specifically safety laws.
They can however make a vehicle with a 1970s look as long as it conforms to existing emissions and safety laws the problem with that is the cost will be comparable to today's prices.

As I said it illegal to build or buy that 1970's tech car. Choice has been taken away under colour of
'law' in an area of life where the State has no business.
You mean like the laws that give car dealers a virtual monopoly because of the influence of the powerful Dealer Lobbies?

Not specifically, but now that you mention it yes a clear area of rent seeking activity and who will ever forget the obama regime choosing GM and Chrysler dealerships to cull during the Great Auto Bankruptcy based on which party the dealership owners made political payoffs to.
Yet it was Reagan, Bush and almost all the Republican Governors who where in the Dealer Lobbies pockets and passed all those laws giving dealerships a virtual monopoly....... Yup, both sides are crooks......
In your delusions perhaps as dealerships have been the way the retail auto business is done since the 1920's.
No they haven't. You might want to double check that. It was Reagan and Bush who helped push through legislation making it illegal to buy new cars online except through a dealer, even the manufacturers can't sell direct any more. This is true in most states when the mostly republican governors pushed through state legislation protecting dealerships from legal competition.
You can maintain your partisan (my side can do no wrong) attitude or realize like I did eons ago that both sides are corrupt. The choice is yours. :thup:

Last edited:
I can see getting nostalgic about cars from the 50s and 60s...many were classics

Cars from the 70s?

Not many to pick from. Trans Ams and Vettes from the late 70s were cool

Not much else I could go for

even new Harley-Davidson's would leak oil on the showroom floor.
Harley's didn't leak. They marked their territory.
That's what the wife says about me........ :eusa_whistle:
She's trying to get you to sit down and pee.
Unfortunately there are times I have to, prostate problems, trust me enlarged prostates are a bitch......... :dunno:
Get that checked out. Prostate cancer is an even bigger bitch.

even new Harley-Davidson's would leak oil on the showroom floor.
Harley's didn't leak. They marked their territory.
That's what the wife says about me........ :eusa_whistle:
She's trying to get you to sit down and pee.
Unfortunately there are times I have to, prostate problems, trust me enlarged prostates are a bitch......... :dunno:
Get that checked out. Prostate cancer is an even bigger bitch.
Been having it check for at least 20 years, have been on daily Flomax for at least 10 years, no cancer here.

Forum List

Back