The Derby

Abishai100

VIP Member
Sep 22, 2013
Americans love sporting events and comic books, so here's a short-story combining the two, since I already have a post on this board about a heartfelt sporting event, and I was thrilled with the post itself.

Let me know what you think (and if the story turns you onto DC Comics' Batman in any way --- definitely my favorite comic book superhero).

====

Stanley looked at his alarm clock. It was almost 10 am and he needed to be at Churchill Downs for the Kentucky Derby this year for two reasons --- he owed debtors money for losses at last year’s race, and he believed he could win enough at this year’s race to cover the debt from the previous year. Stanley picked up the newspaper and surveyed the odds for the horses and noticed that the top two contenders were Dark Stallion and Rosey Wood, and he decided to bet on Rosey Wood.

As Stanley hurried to the track with his hand-radio glued to his ear, there was a news-story about the mysterious new masked American vigilante Batman (whom some suspected was actually New York City’s billionaire Bruce Wayne in disguise as a crusader of some kind) who sent out an all-points warning that the Kentucky Derby was going to be attacked by goons with bombs working for a deranged Algerian terrorist calling himself ‘the Mad Hatter.’ Stanley paid no notice to the story and hurried to Churchill Downs.

When Stanley got to the track, he purchased his tickets and placed his money on Rosey Wood, and was set to watch the goings-on at the celebrated American animal-sports event on what was a remarkably bright and beautiful sunny day in May 2017. As Stanley sat down in his seat and was enjoying his mint-julep drink and waiting for the horses and jockeys to prepare for their positioning, he and the crowds were shocked when a gang of masked terrorists led by a strange man (also masked) wearing a giant hat touched down from helicopters.

“We are not here to kill anyone. We simply want to say that if Rosey Wood wins, all gamblers who bet on the horse owe half of their winnings to us. If you do not comply we will release tear gas into the crowds!” This was the megaphone-announcement by the Mad Hatter. The crowds at Churchill Downs started panicking and wondered where ‘Batman’ was but followed the instructions of the Mad Hatter.

Stanley started sweating. “How can I repay my debts if Rosey Wood wins and I have to give half of my winnings to this deranged Mad Hatter? I will have to find a way to defy him!” The people at the race-track noticed that the Mad Hatter’s goons had elaborately prepared for this ‘invasion’ and had locked off all entry-ways and cuffed all security guards and disabled all security radio-calls from the computerized central office. Stanley started scheming about how to keep his winnings, nevertheless.

Stanley was momentarily elated when Rosey Wood won the race (a very strange event indeed, since the crowds were simply ‘allowing’ the race to continue under the dictatorship of the Mad Hatter on that now very odd May day). Mad Hatter’s goons started passing around baskets so the Rosey Wood winners could dump half of their winnings in for the Mad Hatter. When the basket reached Stanley, he jumped up and grabbed the goon nearest to him and cried, “Mad Hatter, I refuse to pay your tax!”

Just then Batman swooped in and stopped the Mad Hatter from shooting Stanley. He then untied the security guards and more police arrived and in about an hour, the Mad Hatter gang was under the custody of the authorities. Batman then went to personally interview the supposedly daring Stanley.

BATMAN: Why did you risk your life by defying the Mad Hatter?
STANLEY: I needed the winning money, Batman.
BATMAN: Are you in some kind of debt trouble, Stanley?
STANLEY: Yes, I am, and I will lose everything if I do not have my full winnings.
BATMAN: Well, everything worked out, and you have your winnings!
STANLEY: True, but the incident has really paralyzed me with fear and self-doubt.
BATMAN: What’s wrong? Is your faith in the Kentucky Derby scarred?
STANLEY: Yes! I might give up gambling altogether.
BATMAN: That might not be a bad idea, since you seem to be in a debtors’ mess.
STANLEY: Maybe I should become a vigilante like you.
BATMAN: You don’t want to worry about what I worry about, Stanley.
STANLEY: True, but today I learned that perhaps everyone is a semi-gambler.
BATMAN: You think I gamble?
STANLEY: Sure you do. Why would you risk your life to deal with pandemonium?

====

The Kentucky Derby (Wikipedia)

hatter.jpg

Forum List

Back