$15 an Hour Minimum Wage?

So what do you pay your employees? Does it have to be a federal law to make you pay a higher rate?

The minimum wage here is 12 and I certainly pay them more than that.

You are a public employee, aren't you? If so, you enjoy a nice wage, receive plenty of benefits, have a nice retirement plan and get lots of paid days off and enjoy all the perks that come with working for the government. A small business owner has NONE of that. We have our overhead, we have our wages, we have our taxes, and we have the gross profit derived from our business dealings. Whatever the difference between the latter and the former is the net profit that WE need to support ourselves. Ignorant individuals working for the government and who have never run a business just assume we are all raking in the cash, but that is not the case. To increase the wages to 15 dollars in one fell swoop will mean that many small businesses will no longer have enough net profit to survive, themselves, as the difference between gross profit and expenditures for labor will not allow for any net profit.

If gross income is 10000 and outgo is 60000, a person can afford a very modest lifestyle. If gross income is 100000 and you raise the outgo to 90000 for necessary labor, they can't. many, MANY small businesses like restaurants would be affected, and the owners would no longer be able to earn an actual income from the businesses they run.

So what do you pay your employees? Does it have to be a federal law to make you pay a higher rate?

You are a public employee, aren't you? If so, you enjoy a nice wage, receive plenty of benefits, have a nice retirement plan and get lots of paid days off and enjoy all the perks that come with working for the government. A small business owner has NONE of that. We have our overhead, we have our wages, we have our taxes, and we have the gross profit derived from our business dealings. Whatever the difference between the latter and the former is the net profit that WE need to support ourselves. Ignorant individuals working for the government and who have never run a business just assume we are all raking in the cash, but that is not the case. To increase the wages to 15 dollars in one fell swoop will mean that many small businesses will no longer have enough net profit to survive, themselves, as the difference between gross profit and expenditures for labor will not allow for any net profit.

If gross income is 10000 and outgo is 60000, a person can afford a very modest lifestyle. If gross income is 100000 and you raise the outgo to 90000 for necessary labor, they can't. many, MANY small businesses like restaurants would be affected, and the owners would no longer be able to earn an actual income from the businesses they run.

You should look before you leap. I am on your side. As a government contractor. I get paid $16.00, an hour, I get no retirements, no benefits and only a few days a year time off for sickness and one weeks vacation. I don't have it as good as you believe.

The point still stands. You pay more than minimum wage. Is a law required for you to do that? McDonald's pays $11.00 an hour. despite the minimum beig much less.

You should look before you leap. I am on your side. As a government contractor. I get paid $16.00, an hour, I get no retirements, no benefits and only a few days a year time off for sickness and one weeks vacation. I don't have it as good as you believe.

The point still stands. You pay more than minimum wage. Is a law required for you to do that? McDonald's pays $11.00 an hour. despite the minimum beig much less.
My mistake. Sorry.

I thought I recalled you saying you were a teacher.

My mistake. Sorry.

I retired 2 years ago.

BTW, a few assumptions you made are not true. Teacher pay sucks. It is the 2nd lowest job for which an advanced degree is required. That retirement? Funded entirely out of YOUR paycheck. Not eligible for SS for 10 years unless the last 5 has been in a contributing job. No disability either!

I have Stage 4 liver failure, and could take disability (it's automatic) but I won't be eligible until I have over two more years credits. I could retire early at age 62, but would take a huge cut in my SS if I did. I am stuck. My wife is continuing to work past her retirement age because I cannot get on Medicare for 5 more years. Sucks, doesn't it?

My mistake. Sorry.

I retired 2 years ago.

BTW, a few assumptions you made are not true. Teacher pay sucks. It is the 2nd lowest job for which an advanced degree is required. That retirement? Funded entirely out of YOUR paycheck. Not eligible for SS for 10 years unless the last 5 has been in a contributing job. No disability either!

I have Stage 4 liver failure, and could take disability (it's automatic) but I won't be eligible until I have over two more years credits. I could retire early at age 62, but would take a huge cut in my SS if I did. I am stuck. My wife is continuing to work past her retirement age because I cannot get on Medicare for 5 more years. Sucks, doesn't it?
The average teacher pay here in Oregon is more than I usually make in a year. They also have all sorts of bennies that I don't have. I'm still working at 66, myself, as I have no viable alternative, especially after my wife left me for a much younger fellow about10 years ago, and I don't have any pension to fall back on.

Sorry to hear about your health issues, though.

My mistake. Sorry.

I retired 2 years ago.

The average teacher pay here in Oregon is more than I usually make in a year. They also have all sorts of bennies that I don't have. I'm still working at 66, myself, as I have no viable alternative, especially after my wife left me for a much younger fellow about10 years ago, and I don't have any pension to fall back on.

Sorry to hear about your health issues, though.

How many years does a teacher work to hit that "average" and what is that figure? I can make your numbers say anything I want.

As a small business owner, myself, I would say that the current minimum wage of 7.25 is too low, but to raise it to 15 in one fell swoop? What are these numb nuts thinking other than trying to finish off the job they started when they shut down so many small businesses in March? The large corporations would be able to weather such an increase just fine, but many small businesses will not.

This is just one more step in the ongoing process of eliminating the little guy so the giants can capitalize.

They weren't going to raise it in one fell swoop it would have been over a period of 4 or 5 years.

As a small business owner, myself, I would say that the current minimum wage of 7.25 is too low, but to raise it to 15 in one fell swoop? What are these numb nuts thinking other than trying to finish off the job they started when they shut down so many small businesses in March? The large corporations would be able to weather such an increase just fine, but many small businesses will not.

This is just one more step in the ongoing process of eliminating the little guy so the giants can capitalize.

They weren't going to raise it in one fell swoop it would have been over a period of 4 or 5 years.

Never underestimate the stupidity of libtards in Congress.

COMMENTS: Not one of these taxes existed 100 years ago and there was prosperity, absolutely no national debt, the largest middle class in the world and Mom stayed home to raise the kids.

Uh, guy, you think that there was "prosperity" in the 1920's?

Really?

Despite the fact there were two massive depressions in that time, even during the supposedly "good" years, most people in the US lived in grinding poverty.

For many Americans, the 1920s was a decade of poverty. More than 60 per cent of Americans lived just below the poverty line.

Generally, groups such as farmers, black Americans, immigrants and the older industries did not enjoy the prosperity of the “Roaring Twenties”.

Now, yeah, by the 1950's we had a middle class, because

The rich were forced to pay their fair share.
We had a workforce that was 33% unionized, allowing working people to join the "middle class".
Government took proactive measures to reduce the effect of recessions.

They don't call in the roaring 20's for nothing. It was a great decade with at POTUS who understood how to get out of a recession.

Maybe next time.

Senate votes down $15 minimum wage during vote-a-rama. Bernie Sanders seems unfazed. (yahoo.com)

" By a voice vote, for example, the senators approved an amendment from Sen. Joni Ernst (R-Iowa) to "prohibit the increase of the federal minimum wage during a global pandemic." Raising the minimum wage to $15 an hour is one of the heavy lifts in Biden's proposal. "
It’s been proven that a higher minimum wage is good for the economy and ultimately doesn’t hurt business (see Australia). The minimum wage hasn’t been raised in decades. It costs have.

The minimum wage hasn’t been raised in decades.

Decades?

When was the last time it was raised?

Last time a increase was passed was 2007 under Bush.

really?

Obama didn't raise it from $7.25 to $7.80 in 2009??

No, that was in the 2007 bill. Obama never actually passed an increase himself.

Maybe next time.

Senate votes down $15 minimum wage during vote-a-rama. Bernie Sanders seems unfazed. (yahoo.com)

" By a voice vote, for example, the senators approved an amendment from Sen. Joni Ernst (R-Iowa) to "prohibit the increase of the federal minimum wage during a global pandemic." Raising the minimum wage to $15 an hour is one of the heavy lifts in Biden's proposal. "
It’s been proven that a higher minimum wage is good for the economy and ultimately doesn’t hurt business (see Australia). The minimum wage hasn’t been raised in decades. It costs have.

Decades?

really?

History of The US Minimum Wage - From The Very First Minimum Wage (bebusinessed.com)

"July 2008 (GW Bush): $6.55/hr ($7.12/hr)

July 2009 (Obama): $7.25/hr ($7.80/hr)"

Maybe next time.

Decades?

really?

History of The US Minimum Wage - From The Very First Minimum Wage (bebusinessed.com)

Passed in the bill under Bush.

Maybe next time.

Decades?

really?

Minimum Wage laws....walter e. williams

1. While legislative bodies have the power to order wage increases, they have not as of yet found a way to order commensurate increases in worker productivity that make the worker’s output worth the higher wage.
  2. Further, while Congress can legislate the wage at which labor transactions occur, it cannot require that the transaction actually be made, and the worker hired.

Maybe next time.

Decades?

really?

I remember when it was 1.60 and I worked at a Travelodge. I was a busboy.

Maybe next time.

Australia? Where you pay 1 dollar for 1 lemon?
Australia has classes of wage earners. Some highly skilled jobs have a very high minimum wage. Other jobs, considered entry level or training jobs have a lower minimum wage than we offer. It would do us good to switch to an Australian type model.

Maybe next time.

Decades?

really?

I remember when it was 1.60 and I worked at a Travelodge. I was a busboy.

In '65, I was making $.85 at an ice cream dairy.

Maybe next time.

Decades?

really?

1. While legislative bodies have the power to order wage increases, they have not as of yet found a way to order commensurate increases in worker productivity that make the worker’s output worth the higher wage.
  2. Further, while Congress can legislate the wage at which labor transactions occur, it cannot require that the transaction actually be made, and the worker hired.

Working more for less: How wages in America have stagnated

Maybe next time.

Decades?

really?

Which as what to do with this?

Maybe next time.

Decades?

really?

Which as what to do with this?

It's in the link. Record productivity.

Forum List

Back