It has been 10 years and the federal minimum wage is still $7.25 per hour. Meanwhile, members of Congress make $174,000 per year.

That's a popular point of view where some agree and some don't (it doesn't matter to me btw). However that take won't stop some guy from arguing before the supreme court that the preamble is the foundation, the entire purpose of why the constitution what written -therefore having great import. Then after hearing the opposing side the justices can rule any way they want without consulting either of us.

What I'm saying is that there's more involved here than just what the constitution says --along w/ anyone's interpretation. The constitution means what most folks say it means.
well the law is what matters and the law says it’s not part of rhe constitution

I have been [falsely] accused of posting nothing but threads regarding race relations so maybe this will help dispel that perception :rolleyes:. Social justice is not my only interest but I've always had strong feelings about this particular topic due to the disparity between the lowest paying rungs in society versus what Congressional members earn for oftentimes acting against their constituents' best interests.

Our federal minimum wage is ridiculous and while I understand that different states have different cost of living indexes, I can't even wrap my mind around how this wage helps anyone. When people are paid less when they work than when they stay home no one in their right mind could blame them for choosing the latter.

According to the U.S. Department of Labor’s historical data, the federal minimum wage in 2012 was $7.25 per hour. In 2022, the federal minimum wage has not changed. $7.25 per hour isn’t enough to buy a meal at many fast-food restaurants. $7.25 per hour. That’s $58 for an 8-hour day, $290 per week, or $1,300 monthly. At minimum wage, an individual earns about $15,000 a year before taxes. Members of Congress and the Senate make $174,000 per year.
The federal minimum wage is no longer needed. It hasn't been for a long time. You would be hard pressed to find any business anywhere paying $7.25 per hour. It's just a worthless talking point by the left.

The federal minimum wwage doesn't matter. I'm pretty sure every state has a higher minimum wage.
More importantly the market says even more. Pretty much anything is paying $15.00 an hour. The local amusement park here pays $17.00 an hour and many of those are high school kids.

More importantly the market says even more. Pretty much anything is paying $15.00 an hour. The local amusement park here pays $17.00 an hour and many of those are high school kids.
Yep.

If the stock market had been healthy Trump wouldn't have been begging for more and more and more pumping, even going as far as arguing for negative rates.

It was this pumping running the economy.
Dude. You're like a collection of the worst of both parties. Do you consider yourself a libertarian or what?

Dude. You're like a collection of the worst of both parties. Do you consider yourself a libertarian or what?

What did I say that you disagreed with? (I'm registered Independent)

I have been [falsely] accused of posting nothing but threads regarding race relations so maybe this will help dispel that perception :rolleyes:. Social justice is not my only interest but I've always had strong feelings about this particular topic due to the disparity between the lowest paying rungs in society versus what Congressional members earn for oftentimes acting against their constituents' best interests.

Our federal minimum wage is ridiculous and while I understand that different states have different cost of living indexes, I can't even wrap my mind around how this wage helps anyone. When people are paid less when they work than when they stay home no one in their right mind could blame them for choosing the latter.

According to the U.S. Department of Labor’s historical data, the federal minimum wage in 2012 was $7.25 per hour. In 2022, the federal minimum wage has not changed. $7.25 per hour isn’t enough to buy a meal at many fast-food restaurants. $7.25 per hour. That’s $58 for an 8-hour day, $290 per week, or $1,300 monthly. At minimum wage, an individual earns about $15,000 a year before taxes. Members of Congress and the Senate make $174,000 per year.
/——/ Quit whining. Getty some marketable skills and find a better job.

So if it's regulated at the state level and most states do have a higher minimum wage, is its only purpose to be a minimum that the states can't go below?
Yes, that’s it. Here in the DC suburbs, jobs start at around $17 or $18.

May 1st is International Worker's Day, a day on which people march for Worker's rights. Per usual, the gang missed the point.

May 1st, on the other hand, also known as May Day, was chosen for International Workers’ Day to commemorate the Haymarket affair of May 4th 1886. This event took place in Chicago, Illinois, in the US during a workers’ strike when an unidentified person threw a bomb at the police who had gathered for crowd control. The police then responded by opening fire on the workers, killing four of them and injuring many others.​
Today, International Workers’ Day is observed on the first day of May on every continent.,,​

International Workers' Day

well the law is what matters and the law says it’s not part of rhe constitution
That's a thought, and other thoughts are possible too. It appears that most folks have decided that they prefer the fed min wage thought.

Let's remember that people are good and we need to be both content and willing to work w/ what is.

That's a thought, and other thoughts are possible too. It appears that most folks have decided that they prefer the fed min wage thought.

Let's remember that people are good and we need to be both content and willing to work w/ what is.
I was referring to the Preamble.,

I never said the Federal Govt couldn't set a min wage, I said they could, and they could via the powers granted to them under Art 1 Section 8...specifically: To regulate Commerce with foreign Nations, and among the several States, and with the Indian Tribes;

I was referring to the Preamble.,

I never said the Federal Govt couldn't set a min wage, I said they could, and they could via the powers granted to them under Art 1 Section 8...specifically: To regulate Commerce with foreign Nations, and among the several States, and with the Indian Tribes;
huh, Somehow to me that sounds like it has less to do w/ min wage than "to promote the general welfare.

huh, Somehow to me that sounds like it has less to do w/ min wage than "to promote the general welfare.
really? you don’t think wages impacts interstate commerce?

really?

as highlighted the preamble isn’t part of rhe constitution and not any legal power the govt has

really? you don’t think wages impacts interstate commerce?

really?...
of course it "impacts" interstate commerce, and now that you've mentioned your "impact" (like, carpentry impacts interstate commerce, a ham sandwich impacts --however tenously or remotely-- interstate commerce-- let's please get back to what we were talking about.

What I said was
huh, Somehow to me that sounds like it has less to do w/ min wage than "to promote the general welfare."
--and that was in response to (pse correct if I misinterpret) your saying that the fact that the constitution gives Congress power over interstate commerce that this (according to you) enabled congress to control nationwide wages.

Like I said, to me that's a bit of a stretch.

of course it "impacts" interstate commerce, and now that you've mentioned your "impact" (like, carpentry impacts interstate commerce, a ham sandwich impacts --however tenously or remotely-- interstate commerce-- let's please get back to what we were talking about.

What I said was

--and that was in response to (pse correct if I misinterpret) your saying that the fact that the constitution gives Congress power over interstate commerce that this (according to you) enabled congress to control nationwide wages.

Like I said, to me that's a bit of a stretch.
yes and the federal govt has the FDA and USDA regulating the ham industry. There are also federal regulations on re the logging industry

not sure how it’s a a stretch…please explain

Forum List

Back