Your boss could fire you for using birth control

Should your boss be able to fire you if he disagrees with your reproductive choices?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I guess I don't have to worry about making such a decision with one of my employees.

She is married to a woman.

Republicans Vote To Allow Employers to Discriminate Against Women Who Believe In Choice

By: Sarah Jones more from Sarah Jones

Friday, May, 1st, 2015, 7:27 pm

Coming soon to an office near you: Imagine yourself in your boss’ office explaining why you are on the pill or being asked your beliefs about abortion as you apply for a job. If you like this idea, thank a Republican.

In the late hours of Thursday evening in an attempt to quietly pander to the crowd of Republicans who feel that by not being allowed to impose their religious beliefs on others they are being harmed (aka, the “religious freedom” crowd last seen trying to deny gay couples the right to a wedding cake), “small government” Republicans voted to overturn a District of Columbia law that protects women from discrimination at work due to their use of contraceptives, having an abortion or getting family planning.

In other words, they voted to make sure your boss has the right to not only know but discriminate against you if you are on the pill, get family planning, or choose to have an abortion for whatever reason.

But, the GOP says there's no war on women. They also say they are in favor of personal liberties and that they're in favor of "small government".

What they don't say is that to the rabid right, "small government" means more laws and more control over your private lives.

Needless to say, President Obama will veto this monstrous bill but you can bet we will be hearing more about it in the future.

What if one of the RW nutters is elected prez? Both Cruz and Paul are in favor of this law.

I believe the Right has it all wrong, like usual. We have a modern economy not a third world economy; bearing true witness should be more important than third world propaganda and rhetoric in our modern Information Age.

I believe employers do not have any Cause to fire women for using birth control; but do have Cause to fire women for being liars who are willing to let us miss our turn while harassing us for really really serious relationships in modern times.

How in the world does that even come up in a conversation?

Makes you wonder what the right has in mind.

It used to be legal for employers to ask very personal questions. If the RWs have their way, it will be again.

You don't think an employer has the right to know if the person they are looking to hire is a murderer?

So, you have never used a condom or any other kind of birth control? And you would refuse to have sex with a partner who did?

Do you also believe men should be forced to support every single child they produce? Or are you saying this law should be only for women?

Whats to stop the potential employee from lying?
getting fired for-Cause.

So they're going to follow you to the drug store?
Hell if I were a chick I'd claim celibacy as to the reason I never got pregnant.
You'd be employee of the month every month.

A lot of companies use lie detectors.

Never mind that law detectors are unreliable. If an employer would fire a woman for using birth control, they very likely would not hesitate to use lie detectors.

It would take a really stupid employer to discourage the use of birth control of any type for his female employees.

The last thing you want around office is a pregnant woman with all her special needs and inevitable time away from the job.

getting fired for-Cause.

Hell if I were a chick I'd claim celibacy as to the reason I never got pregnant.
only silly Merchants in Commerce have silly rules for Religion over business on a for-profit basis.

You're barking up the wrong tree here.
The only type of BC I have a problem with is late term abortion.
In fact I wouldnt be opposed to free morning after pills for every chick in America. Hand them MFers out like Skittles!!
Of course if you start pumping out kids for money you dont get squat.

getting fired for-Cause.

A lot of companies use lie detectors.

Never mind that law detectors are unreliable. If an employer would fire a woman for using birth control, they very likely would not hesitate to use lie detectors.

only silly Merchants in Commerce have silly rules for Religion over business on a for-profit basis.

in modern times, some Persons don't mind if women bear True Witness and claim they want to fornicate us into really really serious relationships in modern times; simply to help us with our probity so we won't have to lie for sex.

I believe the Right has it all wrong, like usual. We have a modern economy not a third world economy; bearing true witness should be more important than third world propaganda and rhetoric in our modern Information Age.

I believe employers do not have any Cause to fire women for using birth control; but do have Cause to fire women for being liars who are willing to let us miss our turn while harassing us for really really serious relationships in modern times.

It used to be legal for employers to ask very personal questions. If the RWs have their way, it will be again.

You don't think an employer has the right to know if the person they are looking to hire is a murderer?

So, you have never used a condom or any other kind of birth control? And you would refuse to have sex with a partner who did?

Do you also believe men should be forced to support every single child they produce? Or are you saying this law should be only for women?

What does this have to do with an employer deciding who works for him/her?

It has to do with not Infringing on non-job related Individual Liberty unless specified in a for-Cause agreement.

Didn't read the OP, did you.

It clearly says that Repubs voted to allow employers to discriminate against employees who use birth control.

Condoms are a form of birth control.

Get it now?

Didn't read the OP, did you.

It clearly says that Repubs voted to allow employers to discriminate against employees who use birth control.

Condoms are a form of birth control.

Get it now?

It sounds to me like you wouldnt get along with the boss in a place like that anyway,why would you want to work there?
I know I wouldnt want to work for a progressive.

I don't believe that its any of their business what their employees do away from the work place.

God bless you always!!! :) :) :)

Holly

While there are some obvious exceptions, ffor the most part, I agree with you.

Back in the 80s, the right pushed for laws that allowed employers to fire their employees if they smoked on their own time and away from their work place.

Why not fire someone for using birth control?

Paula Deen got fired for exercising her first amendment right back in the seventies, because her employers' ad revenue was threatened by the likelihood of various target demographics finding her admission of a prior utterance of the N word offensive and tuning out.

By this standard, if an employer determines that, for instance, widespread public knowledge of an employee's past abortion exists and threatens to chill the patronage of a targeted clientele, they should absolutely be able to fire that person.

Unless there's something inherently more sacred about reproductive rights than speech rights?

Getting to the point where the most liberal nations are the Muslim ones. We're getting so PC and nanny-state in the supposedly liberal free countries that the arab ones are going to be the only ones left where you can do much of anything.

Forum List

Back