Yesterday's Sermon

Your priest ought to read the Bible sometimes.

Everyone must submit himself to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God. 2 Consequently, he who rebels against the authority is rebelling against what God has instituted, and those who do so will bring judgment on themselves. 3 For rulers hold no terror for those who do right, but for those who do wrong. Do you want to be free from fear of the one in authority? Then do what is right and he will commend you. 4 For he is God’s servant to do you good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword for nothing. He is God’s servant, an agent of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer. 5 Therefore, it is necessary to submit to the authorities, not only because of possible punishment but also because of conscience.

6 This is also why you pay taxes, for the authorities are God’s servants, who give their full time to governing. 7 Give everyone what you owe him: If you owe taxes, pay taxes; if revenue, then revenue; if respect, then respect; if honor, then honor. (Romans 13: 1-7)

Do you pluck a man's eye out for viewing a woman in an adulterous manner? Do you cut off his hand when he has stolen something? Why make exceptions for an eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth, a limb for a limb?

Your heart is or seems hardened...and many many times Jesus spoke about you and why you were wrong in your interpretation of the Law....(I realize you were not there Lonestar, but in the manner in which you choose to interpret God's teachings)

We now have prisons and a justice system that can lock the bad apples that can harm us, away....

Hitler was a leader, should the citizens have followed him and the laws he put in to place?

And this was not MY Priest, it was my parent's Priest....I was excommunicated from the Catholic Church, many moons ago for remarrying after my divorce.

No one said anything about "an eye for an eye", the Bible clearly states that man must submit himself to the governing authority. If said governing authority concludes that capital punishment is warranted then we must abide by that rule. This is found in the New Testament as I've shown with the Romans chapter 13 verses.

You know, this is the problem with people trusting the KJV version of the Bible, and totally discounting what the Jews actually wrote in the OT.

Matter of fact, the original commandment was not "thou shalt not KILL" it was actually "thou shalt not MURDER". Totally different meaning.

Same thing with "eye for an eye, and tooth for a tooth". What you guys need to remember here is that Yeshua (Jesus) was A JEWISH MAN WHO UNDERSTOOD AND KNEW TORAH! He also studied the Talmud, because remember when He was in the Temple and debating the rabbis when He was 12?

The actual meaning of that quote is if you do something to cause damage to another person who didn't deserve it, if you took their eye, you were required to PAY THEM the cost of what they would have earned if you hadn't taken their eye, tooth, or limb.

It didn't mean to chop off, take, or pluck out anything. It meant that you had to make proper restitution to the person you injured, and if it was a lifelong injury, you paid them until they died.

Much different meaning.

You know.........if the Christians are going to refer to the OT (and face it, the NT is based on a lot of the OT), then wouldn't it be useful if they understood Judaic theology, at the ver least, the parts that are referred to again in the NT?

Interesting how much Christians don't know about their own religion.

Well, I'm far far from home, visiting the folks in Florida, missing my kitties and my hubby!

Yesterday, the folks drag me to their Church for Sunday service...not really dragged me...;)

Anyway, the Priest in their parish spoke about political parties that we should NOT belong to....

1. We should not support a political party that supports abortion being legal.
2. We should not support a political party that supports the death penalty.
3. We should not support a political party that supports going to war without Just Cause...(in self defense of an immediate harm to us.)

QUESTION: Is there ANY political party that we are allowed to support?

I am cunfused?? You don't support the republican party?? There not a party that supports abortion being legal.. The last two are ok.. Did you do a typo??

Iraq was not a just war... It was based on lies and misinformation.. I am still waiting on the WMD they said were there to be found..

Excommunicated ?

So you have to sneak in now?

What does excommunicated mean? Really, I grew up a holy roller member of Sarah Palins Church.

I can not receive Communion in a Catholic Church....I am not part of their church family at the remembrance of the last supper, I can not take in, the body of Christ, in their parishes....

Crash the communiion line if you want. Just not in the church that excommunicated you.

Excommunicated ?

So you have to sneak in now?

What does excommunicated mean? Really, I grew up a holy roller member of Sarah Palins Church.

I can not receive Communion in a Catholic Church....I am not part of their church family at the remembrance of the last supper, I can not take in, the body of Christ, in their parishes....

Crash the communiion line if you want. Just not in the church that excommunicated you.

Are you sure that is NOT THE UNforgivable sin? :D

Immie

Immie

If anyone accepts that they are going to hell for remarrying unless the church makes special dispensation. Then they do not believe in Christ they believe in the church.
And are already lost to their faith.

Well, I'm far far from home, visiting the folks in Florida, missing my kitties and my hubby!

Yesterday, the folks drag me to their Church for Sunday service...not really dragged me...;)

Anyway, the Priest in their parish spoke about political parties that we should NOT belong to....

3. We should not support a political party that supports going to war without Just Cause...(in self defense of an immediate harm to us.)

I have noticed that the church is starting to speak up about some of these matters. For instance, their was a Catholic Bishop on tv the other night telling Patrick Kennedy that he should not take communion. Patrick is pro-choice. One thing for sure, if you are a christian and you go to church and read the bible. God is Pro-Life.

The black churches have always been very political, ex Rev Wright. White churches have been silent on politics but I beleive that many Priests and Pastors have decided that they have seen enough, deminishing moral values and character, they are speaking out now.

I hope they keep it up. Everyone needs to walk their talk. If you are a Christian what are you doing voting for a pro-choice candidate who supports late term abortions.

"The Economic Bill of Rights"

"It is our duty now to begin to lay the plans and determine the strategy for the winning of a lasting peace and the establishment of an American standard of living higher than ever before known. We cannot be content, no matter how high that general standard of living may be, if some fraction of our people—whether it be one-third or one-fifth or one-tenth—is ill-fed, ill-clothed, ill-housed, and insecure.

This Republic had its beginning, and grew to its present strength, under the protection of certain inalienable political rights—among them the right of free speech, free press, free worship, trial by jury, freedom from unreasonable searches and seizures. They were our rights to life and liberty.

As our nation has grown in size and stature, however—as our industrial economy expanded—these political rights proved inadequate to assure us equality in the pursuit of happiness.

We have come to a clear realization of the fact that true individual freedom cannot exist without economic security and independence. “Necessitous men are not free men.” People who are hungry and out of a job are the stuff of which dictatorships are made.

In our day these economic truths have become accepted as self-evident. We have accepted, so to speak, a second Bill of Rights under which a new basis of security and prosperity can be established for all—regardless of station, race, or creed.

Among these are:

The right to a useful and remunerative job in the industries or shops or farms or mines of the nation;

The right to earn enough to provide adequate food and clothing and recreation;

The right of every farmer to raise and sell his products at a return which will give him and his family a decent living;

The right of every businessman, large and small, to trade in an atmosphere of freedom from unfair competition and domination by monopolies at home or abroad;

The right of every family to a decent home;

The right to adequate medical care and the opportunity to achieve and enjoy good health;

The right to adequate protection from the economic fears of old age, sickness, accident, and unemployment;

The right to a good education.

All of these rights spell security. And after this war is won we must be prepared to move forward, in the implementation of these rights, to new goals of human happiness and well-being.

America’s own rightful place in the world depends in large part upon how fully these and similar rights have been carried into practice for our citizens."

Franklin D. Roosevelt - Excerpt from 11 January 1944 message to Congress on the State of the Union

source: The Public Papers & Addresses of Franklin D. Roosevelt (Samuel Rosenman, ed.), Vol XIII (NY: Harper, 1950), 40-42

:lol:

See what it says right under my name....i think the priest belongs to my political party, the party of americans.

I have noticed that the church is starting to speak up about some of these matters. For instance, their was a Catholic Bishop on tv the other night telling Patrick Kennedy that he should not take communion. Patrick is pro-choice. One thing for sure, if you are a christian and you go to church and read the bible. God is Pro-Life.

The black churches have always been very political, ex Rev Wright. White churches have been silent on politics but I beleive that many Priests and Pastors have decided that they have seen enough, deminishing moral values and character, they are speaking out now.

I hope they keep it up. Everyone needs to walk their talk. If you are a Christian what are you doing voting for a pro-choice candidate who supports late term abortions.

If churches become more politically active then they need to start paying taxes..

Answer is simple:

Don't vote for parties. vote for people.

Amen and Hallelujah :)

True, but most it seems claim to vote for the person while actually following the party.
They have been programmed well and do not realize this.

The palin phenomena was a side effect of this psychological condition.

Most on the right seemed very ho hum on McSame. However then the Wasilla honey showed up. Great and joyous celebration ensued. We can still vote Republican! Praise be to gawd.

It was wonderful to behold, in a terrifying sort of way.

Enlightenment is not comforting.
And ignorance is bliss.

Last edited:
Tell that pastor to mind his own business and stop telling you what to do. I would have simply gotten up and walked out.

Answer is simple:

Wow.. Pilgram and I agree on something.. Perhaps we have something in common after all..

:clap2:

ah we both share common sense ;).

Its these 2 parties, who really aren't much different than each other in their governmental actions (their rhetoric is vastly different but their actions are not), that have sold all of us americans...liberal, conservative, and everyone else...down the river for campaign contributions, re-election campaigns, and corporate kickbacks.

Immie

If anyone accepts that they are going to hell for remarrying unless the church makes special dispensation. Then they do not believe in Christ they believe in the church.
And are already lost to their faith.

Very well said! I completely agree with your statement.

For the record, Care, having been my friend for a very long time, I don't think she is in the category or believing she is going to hell for remarrying, but I should leave that answer to her. She is strong in her faith. I believe she knows that God's Grace has been extended to her despite any failings she might have.

Answer is simple:

True, but most it seems claim to vote for the person while actually following the party.
They have been programmed well and do not realize this.

The palin phenomena was a side effect of this psychological condition.

Most on the right seemed very ho hum on McSame. However then the Wasilla honey showed up. Great and joyous celebration ensued. We can still vote Republican! Praise be to gawd.

It was wonderful to behold, in a terrifying sort of way.

Enlightenment is not comforting.
And ignorance is bliss.

I think there is something else involved in the Palin phenomena. When Barack Obama was nominated as candidate for President, many... actually all, who said they refused to vote for him were accused of being racists despite their reasons for stating they would not vote for him. When John McCain gave Sarah Palin the nod it allowed them to vote for her and they could defend themselves against the accusation that they were racist by stating that they were voting for a woman.

Me? I didn't vote for Obama or Palin so I have to assume that I am both a racist and a sexist pig... just as VaYank. :D

Immie

Last edited:
uh, no.;)

yes mosaic law stands but you fail to understand mosaic law and its purpose as the Pharisees and Sadducee failed at understanding it. God's purpose was not to punish by killing another human being for killing. God's purpose was to rid society of the danger.

It's not like Moses had prisons on Mount sanai or in the dessert he roamed for 40 years to lock the bad lot, away.....You don't pluck a guys eye out or tooth out or cut his arm off if he stole something as mosaic law states .....do you? Why make exceptions for some of the Law in this manner, yet stick to killing another human who has killed?

This was the Sermon....I did not make this up myself!

Fail! But I have a feeling you didn't put much stock in what that preacher (or priest) had to say. :cool:

I will agree with what he said about abortion. That's murder.

But do you cut a man's hand off for stealing now X? Do you pluck his eye out now? Do you kill adulterers? Do you follow the Law in the manner described in the old testament as the Muslims following Sharia law still do?

WHY make these exceptions? Can you answer that...?

You're talking about the ceremonial laws written by Moses for the Jews. When Christ died, the Bible says in Colossians 2:14 what was nailed to the cross were the "handwritten ordinances of man." That would be the ceremonial laws. However, the 10 commandments were not handwritten by man so they will always remain in effect.

With the death penalty, you have entered a gray area depending on interpretation of several scriptures. Since many believe it's a just killing, it is not considered murder. Jesus never spoke against the death penalty (even though some think he did - like in the woman who was caught in the act of adultery story). Paul definitely recognized the power of the government to institute capital punishment where appropriate (Romans 13:1-7).

It looks like you've got a choice. Which politicians should you vote for in upcoming elections? You certainly can't vote for anyone who supports abortion because that's murder, nor can you vote for anyone who believes in capital punishment. What to do?

It looks like you've got a choice. Which politicians should you vote for in upcoming elections? You certainly can't vote for anyone who supports abortion because that's murder, nor can you vote for anyone who believes in capital punishment. What to do?

Assuming that she is going to listen to and agree with the priest.

I've yet to see that she said she was going to accept his word for it. Knowing her, I think she'll make up her own mind and vote for whomever she believes will do the best job as President despite what the church says. I just have a hunch about that. :lol:

Lord knows I have never been able to convince her to change her stubbo... er never mind! :eusa_whistle:

Immie

Forum List

Back