Yesterday's Sermon

Care4all

Warrior Princess
Mar 24, 2007
Maine
Well, I'm far far from home, visiting the folks in Florida, missing my kitties and my hubby!

Yesterday, the folks drag me to their Church for Sunday service...not really dragged me...;)

Anyway, the Priest in their parish spoke about political parties that we should NOT belong to....

1. We should not support a political party that supports abortion being legal.
2. We should not support a political party that supports the death penalty.
3. We should not support a political party that supports going to war without Just Cause...(in self defense of an immediate harm to us.)

QUESTION: Is there ANY political party that we are allowed to support?

You support the party which does not endorse activities which fly in the face of the bible.

Thou shalt not murder. That's pretty basic.

Well, I'm far far from home, visiting the folks in Florida, missing my kitties and my hubby!

Yesterday, the folks drag me to their Church for Sunday service...not really dragged me...;)

Anyway, the Priest in their parish spoke about political parties that we should NOT belong to....

1. We should not support a political party that supports abortion being legal.
2. We should not support a political party that supports the death penalty.
3. We should not support a political party that supports going to war without Just Cause...(in self defense of an immediate harm to us.)

QUESTION: Is there ANY political party that we are allowed to support?
No.

And maybe that's the point.

On the death penalty, he said....because we have prisons and a means to lock up those that could harm us, to kill them is not right....

that killing them....them as in those that have murdered others, if there was no means to keep them locked up to protect us from them would be acceptable...but since there are prisons to keep them locked up and us safe, it is unholy and unjust and not right to kill them.

Interesting point. I really feel more political parties or the absence of them is needed to allow folks to vote their conscious.

On the death penalty, he said....because we have prisons and a means to lock up those that could harm us, to kill them is not right....

that killing them....them as in those that have murdered others, if there was no means to keep them locked up to protect us from them would be acceptable...but since there are prisons to keep them locked up and us safe, it is unholy and unjust and not right to kill them.
What does any of that have to do with political parties?

What does any of that have to do with political parties?

well, the republican party, in general supports the execution of killers...was my understanding, so I guess we are not suppose to support this political party for this reason???

If taxation is stealing than supporting any form of taxation (all government) would be wrong as well. No church ever explores this issue.

And you guys told me that the Christian Coalition didn't have any sway..........

Fuck man, if I want to know about law, I'll go and check out Congress.

If I want to know about God, I'll check into a church of some type.

NEVER will I go to a church to see how this country should be ran, after all........that's kinda how the IsLAMES do with Sharia law.

Personally? I think politicians should remain low key about their religion, and preachers should remain low key about their politics.

Because, think about how many different varieties of "Christian" we have here in the States, then, add in all the other NON Christian faiths that are here.

Every one of 'em has a different interpretation of the Bible. Does this mean we should fracture into many different city/states?

I thought we were the UNITED States of America.

Your priest ought to read the Bible sometimes.

Everyone must submit himself to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God. 2 Consequently, he who rebels against the authority is rebelling against what God has instituted, and those who do so will bring judgment on themselves. 3 For rulers hold no terror for those who do right, but for those who do wrong. Do you want to be free from fear of the one in authority? Then do what is right and he will commend you. 4 For he is God’s servant to do you good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword for nothing. He is God’s servant, an agent of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer. 5 Therefore, it is necessary to submit to the authorities, not only because of possible punishment but also because of conscience.

6 This is also why you pay taxes, for the authorities are God’s servants, who give their full time to governing. 7 Give everyone what you owe him: If you owe taxes, pay taxes; if revenue, then revenue; if respect, then respect; if honor, then honor. (Romans 13: 1-7)

Uh, no. Jesus affirmed Mosaic Law which includes the death penalty.

Uh, no. Jesus affirmed Mosaic Law which includes the death penalty.

uh, no.;)

yes mosaic law stands but you fail to understand mosaic law and its purpose as the Pharisees and Sadducee failed at understanding it. God's purpose was not to punish by killing another human being for killing. God's purpose was to rid society of the danger.

It's not like Moses had prisons on Mount sanai or in the dessert he roamed for 40 years to lock the bad lot, away.....You don't pluck a guys eye out or tooth out or cut his arm off if he stole something as mosaic law states .....do you? Why make exceptions for some of the Law in this manner, yet stick to killing another human who has killed?

This was the Sermon....I did not make this up myself!

Care, if you had gone to a pentecostal church and heard the same sermon it would have been very pro Republican.
They seem to forget that Jesus was a bleeding heart liberal and now speak of liberals as they would satan.

Your priest ought to read the Bible sometimes.

Everyone must submit himself to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God. 2 Consequently, he who rebels against the authority is rebelling against what God has instituted, and those who do so will bring judgment on themselves. 3 For rulers hold no terror for those who do right, but for those who do wrong. Do you want to be free from fear of the one in authority? Then do what is right and he will commend you. 4 For he is God’s servant to do you good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword for nothing. He is God’s servant, an agent of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer. 5 Therefore, it is necessary to submit to the authorities, not only because of possible punishment but also because of conscience.

6 This is also why you pay taxes, for the authorities are God’s servants, who give their full time to governing. 7 Give everyone what you owe him: If you owe taxes, pay taxes; if revenue, then revenue; if respect, then respect; if honor, then honor. (Romans 13: 1-7)

Do you pluck a man's eye out for viewing a woman in an adulterous manner? Do you cut off his hand when he has stolen something? Why make exceptions for an eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth, a limb for a limb?

Your heart is or seems hardened...and many many times Jesus spoke about you and why you were wrong in your interpretation of the Law....(I realize you were not there Lonestar, but in the manner in which you choose to interpret God's teachings)

We now have prisons and a justice system that can lock the bad apples that can harm us, away....

Hitler was a leader, should the citizens have followed him and the laws he put in to place?

And this was not MY Priest, it was my parent's Priest....I was excommunicated from the Catholic Church, many moons ago for remarrying after my divorce.

Excommunicated ?

So you have to sneak in now?

What does excommunicated mean? Really, I grew up a holy roller member of Sarah Palins Church.

Forum List

Back