Woman Removed From Plane to Make Room for Overweight Teen

JBeukema

Rookie
Apr 23, 2009
everywhere and nowhere
The Dallas-based airline confirmed that Southwest representatives asked the 5-foot, 4-inch woman, weighing 110 pounds, to get off the flight. She was flying standby from Las Vegas to Sacramento and had paid the full fare for the last available seat on the plane.
The woman said she had just sat down only to be told she would have to exit the plane immediately to make room for the 14-year-old who needed two seats.

:wtf:

Woman Removed From Plane to Make Room for Overweight Teen - Incredible Health - FOXNews.com

Since she was on standby, it shouldn't have been an issue. Usually, you're on standby because your flight actually leaves at a later time. The airline should accommodate the teen before the woman if that was his original flight.

129063899234900311.jpg

Since she was on standby, it shouldn't have been an issue. Usually, you're on standby because your flight actually leaves at a later time. The airline should accommodate the teen before the woman if that was his original flight.

Standby is a status for non reservation customers. The seats are sometimes deeply discounted due to a no show or a lack of bookings. Las Vegas is a hub for South West passengers flying to any of the several CA airports and standby passengers are often routed through there...I know as I flew standby from Florida to California. Basically you wait 'til all passengers are boarded and if there is an open seat all standby's get on first come first serve. Took me 14 hrs to get from Florida to California...never again will I fly standby!

Standby is a status for non reservation customers. The seats are sometimes deeply discounted due to a no show or a lack of bookings. Las Vegas is a hub for South West passengers flying to any of the several CA airports and standby passengers are often routed through there...I know as I flew standby from Florida to California. Basically you wait 'til all passengers are boarded and if there is an open seat all standby's get on first come first serve. Took me 14 hrs to get from Florida to California...never again will I fly standby!

14 hours is better than the 5 days it would take on Greyhound, 4 days on AMTRAK or 5 days by car..:cool: Flying standby is a great exercise in patience, especially now, the airlines are filling up smaller aircraft and actually making money....... imagine that. I flew as a pass rider 3 times a month for 12 years, I have the patience of a monk.

Airplane seats are too damned small. I have flown with tall men whose suffering made me wanna cry.

I suppose the Op is outraged that a skinny person was asked to leave to accomodate a fat one? Why are fat people so unworthy?

The Dallas-based airline confirmed that Southwest representatives asked the 5-foot, 4-inch woman, weighing 110 pounds, to get off the flight. She was flying standby from Las Vegas to Sacramento and had paid the full fare for the last available seat on the plane.
The woman said she had just sat down only to be told she would have to exit the plane immediately to make room for the 14-year-old who needed two seats.

Blame capitalism. Fewer flights with more seats crammed into the airplane mean someone's going to be unhappy. It's time to re-regulate the air transportation industry.

Blame capitalism. Fewer flights with more seats crammed into the airplane mean someone's going to be unhappy. It's time to re-regulate the air transportation industry.

Yea, the "government" should take control of the airlines, what right do they have to run a company the way they feel is best.........who the fuck do they think they are? Then they can leave this country too, like so many other businesses, so they can be free to make their own decisions.

I figured someone had murdered your faggot, commie, ass Joey boy, why aren't you in Venezuela sucking Chavez's little troll dick? He seems perfect for you.

I once inadvertently got a big fat man kicked off a flight. We were all loaded and the crew going through their safety routine when I pointed him out to an attendant because he was sitting in an emergency row and I thought it would be a problem in an emergency. I mean this guy was huge. How he even got himself wedged into just one seat is still a mystery. They asked for a volunteer to switch seats as the flight was full but no one would, which surprised me. Those sitting around us could see the guy was sweating profusely and maybe were turned off by the prospect of a 'wet' seat, but no way folks sitting farther away would be aware of it. In the end they just told him he'd have to take a later flight or something. Felt a bit bad for the guy, but is was safety issue to me and the crew agreed.

:wtf:

Woman Removed From Plane to Make Room for Overweight Teen - Incredible Health - FOXNews.com

That is Total BS, if the teen did not pay for TWO SEATS, then the TEEN should have been kicked off.

That is just stupid when one person pays for one seat and uses two!

I would love two seats myself and only pay for one, I could use the extra for storage or a laptop and not have to smell some slob next to me or listen to them yap, etc.

I once inadvertently got a big fat man kicked off a flight. We were all loaded and the crew going through their safety routine when I pointed him out to an attendant because he was sitting in an emergency row and I thought it would be a problem in an emergency. I mean this guy was huge. How he even got himself wedged into just one seat is still a mystery. They asked for a volunteer to switch seats as the flight was full but no one would, which surprised me. Those sitting around us could see the guy was sweating profusely and maybe were turned off by the prospect of a 'wet' seat, but no way folks sitting farther away would be aware of it. In the end they just told him he'd have to take a later flight or something. Felt a bit bad for the guy, but is was safety issue to me and the crew agreed.

He should've rented two seats,

How come you didn't offer to switch seats? I agree, big person in emergency row could be a problem.

To the OP, if two people who weren't standby had come onto the plan wouldn't they have kicked the standby person off? No different for the over weight teen, imo, as long as the teen paid for two seats. Hey, sometimes standby sucks.

Airplane seats are too damned small. I have flown with tall men whose suffering made me wanna cry.

I suppose the Op is outraged that a skinny person was asked to leave to accomodate a fat one? Why are fat people so unworthy?

well the little fatty was worthy enough to get a small woman kicked off the flight so how you make the clain they are unworthy is beyond me.

I doubt any airline would give away a seat just because he's overweight. I'm sure he would have paid for two.

Not so long ago, I worked for a US airline. We had a customer, a well known cellist, who rather than trust his instrument to the hold, would always book a seat for Mr Cello...in first class too! We even made Mr Cello a member of the frequent flyer programme so that he could earn the same awards as his master.

Forum List

Back