Woman Removed From Plane to Make Room for Overweight Teen

Southwest kicked my 2 year old son off the plane because he was too small.

The one benefit was that we didn't have to deal with tantrums the entire vacation.

Blame capitalism. Fewer flights with more seats crammed into the airplane mean someone's going to be unhappy. It's time to re-regulate the air transportation industry.

The government could force them to make larger seats and extra space, but then the cost of airline tickets will rise and fewer people will be able to afford to fly.

Your idea hurts the middle class and the poor, the very people folks like you claim to be standing up for.

Since she was on standby, it shouldn't have been an issue. Usually, you're on standby because your flight actually leaves at a later time. The airline should accommodate the teen before the woman if that was his original flight.

Standby is a status for non reservation customers. The seats are sometimes deeply discounted due to a no show or a lack of bookings. Las Vegas is a hub for South West passengers flying to any of the several CA airports and standby passengers are often routed through there...I know as I flew standby from Florida to California. Basically you wait 'til all passengers are boarded and if there is an open seat all standby's get on first come first serve. Took me 14 hrs to get from Florida to California...never again will I fly standby!

14 hours is better than the 5 days it would take on Greyhound, 4 days on AMTRAK or 5 days by car..:cool: Flying standby is a great exercise in patience, especially now, the airlines are filling up smaller aircraft and actually making money....... imagine that. I flew as a pass rider 3 times a month for 12 years, I have the patience of a monk.

Yeah yeah...but I wasn't comparing apples to oranges :) Seriously, I saved about 110.00 bucks flying standby; in retrospect it wasn't worth it to me. I almost got stuck overnight in Phoenix...now that would have really sucked!

Blame capitalism. Fewer flights with more seats crammed into the airplane mean someone's going to be unhappy. It's time to re-regulate the air transportation industry.

The government could force them to make larger seats and extra space, but then the cost of airline tickets will rise and fewer people will be able to afford to fly.

Your idea hurts the middle class and the poor, the very people folks like you claim to be standing up for.

That's what classical economics tells us. It also tells us other forms of transportation will fill the need left unfilled by air transportation and that we might see an increased use of electronic communication replacing travel for meetings. We also could see local attractions boom as recreational travelers stayed home. That would employ more and might raise wages thus helping the middle class and poor.

She was standby and it appears he bought a regular ticket.

I would be surprised if they did not make him pay for the second seat though.

I imagine they got the lady on standby out on the next available flight.

Immie

We also could see local attractions boom as recreational travelers stayed home. That would employ more and might raise wages thus helping the middle class and poor.

So if I gave you the option between Scenario #1 and Scenario #2, with Scenario #2 equaling Scenario #1 plus an additional economic exchange, and asked you to choose which would result in greater economic output, you would choose Scenario #1? Are you a fucking idiot or are you a fucking idiot?

That must have been mortifying for the girl. Very sad. Her future will be fraught with health problems.

I'm glad they're making extra large people pay for two seats, however. I sat next to a very large (and obnoxious) woman on the way to Europe once. It was awful.

That's what classical economics tells us. It also tells us other forms of transportation will fill the need left unfilled by air transportation and that we might see an increased use of electronic communication replacing travel for meetings. We also could see local attractions boom as recreational travelers stayed home. That would employ more and might raise wages thus helping the middle class and poor.

So your idea of helping the middle class and the poor is by taking choices away from them by making air travel so expensive that only the rich can afford recreational travel and the middle and lower income people will just have to stay home. Please, don't try and help me.

she was standby...they can do what they want, standby does not guarantee you anything

"It didn't seem right that I should have to leave to accommodate someone who had only paid for one seat," the woman, who wished to remain anonymous, told the Sacramento Bee.

Standby had nothing to do with it, according to the story the kid only paid for one seat, he is the one who should have been put on hold till a less than full capacity plane was found :mad:

That is exasperating, that the teen got two seats for the price of one. I'm against that. I'm sorry the girl can't control her eating, but I'm for personal accountability.

That is strange, when I read the article, I don't know why, but I thought the teen was a boy. You obviously thought the teen was a girl, but the article does not say as far as I saw.

According to the video that was linked, it was a male teen.

http://www.myfoxdfw.com/dpp/news/072610-southwest-kicks-thin-woman-off-flight

Immie

Last edited:
That is exasperating, that the teen got two seats for the price of one. I'm against that. I'm sorry the girl can't control her eating, but I'm for personal accountability.

That is strange, when I read the article, I don't know why, but I thought the teen was a boy. You obviously thought the teen was a girl, but the article does not say as far as I saw.

Southwest Kicks Thin Woman off Flight

Immie

I'll confess, I didn't actually read the article. I sometimes comment on the topic without reading the article. I know, it's lazy of me, but I'm guilty.

Southwest Kicks Thin Woman off Flight

Immie

I'll confess, I didn't actually read the article. I sometimes comment on the topic without reading the article. I know, it's lazy of me, but I'm guilty.

I wouldn't be surprised if we all don't do that at times. I know I don't always or some times I will just scan it. Sometimes I don't read it until I get into the thread a little bit.

Immie

The Dallas-based airline confirmed that Southwest representatives asked the 5-foot, 4-inch woman, weighing 110 pounds, to get off the flight. She was flying standby from Las Vegas to Sacramento and had paid the full fare for the last available seat on the plane.
The woman said she had just sat down only to be told she would have to exit the plane immediately to make room for the 14-year-old who needed two seats.

:wtf:

Woman Removed From Plane to Make Room for Overweight Teen - Incredible Health - FOXNews.com

I am sure this was already pointed out, but she didn't want to be bumped, she shouldn't have flown standby.

Yea, the "government" should take control of the airlines, what right do they have to run a company the way they feel is best.........who the fuck do they think they are? Then they can leave this country too, like so many other businesses, so they can be free to make their own decisions.

I figured someone had murdered your faggot, commie, ass Joey boy, why aren't you in Venezuela sucking Chavez's little troll dick? He seems perfect for you.

Compassionate Conservatism?

So your idea of helping the middle class and the poor is by taking choices away from them by making air travel so expensive that only the rich can afford recreational travel and the middle and lower income people will just have to stay home. Please, don't try and help me.

Choices are not at the heart of this issue. This is about a safe and sustainable air transportation industry. At the margin some maybe denied all the options they might like. For the vast majority, however, the re-regulated industry will provide a more valuable service even if at a higher price.

Choices are not at the heart of this issue. This is about a safe and sustainable air transportation industry. At the margin some maybe denied all the options they might like. For the vast majority, however, the re-regulated industry will provide a more valuable service even if at a higher price.

The air transportation industry is quite safe and sustainable right now as far as I can tell. And I disagree with you about choice not being the issue. Choice is the issue. Being able to make a choice is part of living in a free society. The more your choices are limited, the less free you are.

Where did it say the teen didn't pay for the second seat? From what I know, they usually have to pay to for the second seat. on the reality show that followed Southwest, I saw them charge a few passengers for extra seats because they were too big. So I would like to see where the teen wasn't charged for the extra seat.

Forum List

Back