Woman hiding with kids shoots intruder

Good point. We don't know the full story. But let's assume she was justified in the shooting. The gun nuts here would have you believe that even though she saved the lives of herself and her children, and the perp is in the hospital and may not survive the night, it would have been better if she had an assault rifle with an extended mag.

This leads me to believe that harm was intended:

'Slater was transported to Gwinnett Medical Center and is expected to survive, the sheriff said.

The Long Island native, who now lives in Gwinnett County, was released from the Gwinnett jail in late August after serving six months for simple battery and three counts of probation violation. Slater has six other arrests in Gwinnett dating back to 2008, according to jail records.'

they don't care about those facts. I posted the same, yet they totally ignored them.

I can't make much sense of this thread. It seems to be an intense debate on gun control but veers off into realms incomprehensible to me.

You are alone in your home with your children, an intruder is knocking at the door so you hide. The intruder finds you and you defend yourself.

I suppose the Gwinnett County PD will question the woman but nothing was mentioned about forthcoming charges against her. It sounds like she responded appropriately.

That is about all I can conclude.

Yeah she was a great shot....with her REVOLVER.

A double action revolver, while using a completely different kind of technology, has the same operational effect as a semiautomatic pistol. You seem to have no problem with this woman using a double action revolver, but you would object to a semiautomatic pistol. That is sheer lunacy.

Also, the fact that six shots didn't kill this guy just goes to show the value of larger capacity weapons. And that makes the semiautomatic pistol all the more ideal. This woman is lucky that this guy did not have a gun himself. If he did, her and her kids may have still ended up dead.

Last edited:
They just get pumped up at the idea of legally killing someone. It's blood lust. Wouldn't surprise me if that's what motivated George Zimmerman.

that's the reason legal gun owners are storming the country shooting everybody. Not.

Anyone (in this case, George Zimmerman) who wanders around his neighborhood at night dark with a concealed handgun and ends up shooting a minor who's only offense is that he was running an errand after dark is certainly someone who was looking for trouble. Unfortunately, there are way TOO MANY people who adopt the attitude that they can respond with lethal force at just the slightest perceived provocation and the law should back them up.

You freaking hypocrite, what happened to waiting for all the evidence? Your a joke.

This leads me to believe that harm was intended:

'Slater was transported to Gwinnett Medical Center and is expected to survive, the sheriff said.

The Long Island native, who now lives in Gwinnett County, was released from the Gwinnett jail in late August after serving six months for simple battery and three counts of probation violation. Slater has six other arrests in Gwinnett dating back to 2008, according to jail records.'

they don't care about those facts. I posted the same, yet they totally ignored them.

I can't make much sense of this thread. It seems to be an intense debate on gun control but veers off into realms incomprehensible to me.

You are alone in your home with your children, an intruder is knocking at the door so you hide. The intruder finds you and you defend yourself.

I suppose the Gwinnett County PD will question the woman but nothing was mentioned about forthcoming charges against her. It sounds like she responded appropriately.

That is about all I can conclude

Same here.

You guys need to read your own links before trying to use them as examples of the need for automatic or semi-automatic weapons or extended mags. The woman used a .38 revolver. Not an AR15. Not an extended mag.

Bingo!! You don't even realize that a double action revolver has the same basic effect as a semiautomatic pistol. Nothing is worse than a person who doesn't know the first thing he's talking about telling the rest of us that we can't defend ourselves.

If we allowed physical harm as a form of punishment, how many shots from a .38 would be sufficient punishment for the crime of trespassing with intent to commit grand larceny?

Before you assholes get your panties in a wad....know that I have a loaded .38 stored in a convenient place in my home and would use it if someone broke into my house.

But to say that the firearm was ineffective because the idiot is still breathing is simply warped thinking.

This story seems a little odd. There's a lot of relevant information missing from it. What was his motive? His criminal history? Why would he go to the attic if he was merely a burglar since most valuables would be in the living quarters? Why wouldn't he just want to get in and get out? Did he hear noises? Why would she need to shoot him five times if she had a gun and he didn't? The story is extremely short on any kind of details.

??? Are you paying attention? His motive was to rob the place. His criminal history is that he's been arrested several times for various crimes, including assault. Why did she need to shoot him five times? HELLLLOOOOO!! Those five shots failed to disable him. You think one shot would have done the trick? Anyone who knows the first thing about defending one's self with a gun knows that you don't just shoot once. You unload. Shooting only once can get you killed.

If we allowed physical harm as a form of punishment, how many shots from a .38 would be sufficient punishment for the crime of trespassing with intent to commit grand larceny?

Before you assholes get your panties in a wad....know that I have a loaded .38 stored in a convenient place in my home and would use it if someone broke into my house.

But to say that the firearm was ineffective because the idiot is still breathing is simply warped thinking.
Dunno if that was his intent. He has a rap sheet including battery going back to 2008.

The point is he was able to get up on his own which means he still could have been a threat. The whole point of using a gun it to eliminate the threat, whether through incapacitation or death.

This story seems a little odd. There's a lot of relevant information missing from it. What was his motive? His criminal history? Why would he go to the attic if he was merely a burglar since most valuables would be in the living quarters? Why wouldn't he just want to get in and get out? Did he hear noises? Why would she need to shoot him five times if she had a gun and he didn't? The story is extremely short on any kind of details.

??? Are you paying attention? His motive was to rob the place. His criminal history is that he's been arrested several times for various crimes, including assault. Why did she need to shoot him five times? HELLLLOOOOO!! Those five shots failed to disable him. You think one shot would have done the trick? Anyone who knows the first thing about defending one's self with a gun knows that you don't just shoot once. You unload. Shooting only once can get you killed.

All I'm saying is that the story seems odd and strangely incomplete in terms of the information presented. For example, the alleged thief surely didn't need a crowbar to break a window, did he? It's almost as if he was expecting to find something valuable (like drugs or drug money, perhaps) locked up somewhere.

So, why is this woman going to hide in the attack when she has a gun?

Maybe because she is a RESPONSIBLE gun owner? Maybe she's not hyped up on blood lust, like so many people like to PRESUME gun owners are.

What does any of it matter? The fact still remains that the broke into her home. If someone breaks into my home, they will DIE. I'm not going to even take the chance. Especially if I had a wife and/or kids in the house with me. No other concern matters once you forcefully enter my home. There is NOTHING that can possibly rightfully demand that I take that risk.

Maybe because she is a RESPONSIBLE gun owner? Maybe she's not hyped up on blood lust, like so many people like to PRESUME gun owners are.

What does any of it matter? The fact still remains that the broke into her home. If someone breaks into my home, they will DIE. I'm not going to even take the chance. Especially if I had a wife and/or kids in the house with me. No other concern matters once you forcefully enter my home. There is NOTHING that can possibly rightfully demand that I take that risk.

Better to scare someone away BEFORE they get in the house than to try to deal with them AFTER they're IN the house and can't be seen by anyone who's outside.

You guys need to read your own links before trying to use them as examples of the need for automatic or semi-automatic weapons or extended mags. The woman used a .38 revolver. Not an AR15. Not an extended mag.

She emptied the revolver hitting him all 6 times and he did not go down, getting the point yet pinhead?

He's in the hospital with holes in his stomach and lungs. The lady and her children are alive. The revolver did its job. Get the point, asshole?

Better to scare someone away BEFORE they get in the house than to try to deal with them AFTER they're IN the house and can't be seen by anyone who's outside.
What is she supposed to do? Open the window upstairs (and the storm window) and yell below, "You go away!"?

Bingo!! You don't even realize that a double action revolver has the same basic effect as a semiautomatic pistol. Nothing is worse than a person who doesn't know the first thing he's talking about telling the rest of us that we can't defend ourselves.

I didn't tell you that you can't defend yourself, did I? The purpose of the op was to make a point that automatic weapons are better for defense than non-auto weapons. As I have stated over and over, the non-auto weapon that was used in this case was sufficient. Zooom right over your head.

What is she supposed to do? Open the window upstairs (and the storm window) and yell below, "You go away!"?

Sure...while mentioning (and showing) that she has a gun. She might even just say that she has more than one. How would the guy know if she's lying or not? Would he even want to take the chance?

Forum List

Back