Woman hiding with kids shoots intruder

I didn't read anything within the article which led me to believe that the woman or her children's lives were in any danger. There was no statement included by the woman where she claimed that he either threatened them or took any provocative action.
:lmao:

Yeah, breaking into a home by breaking a window with a crowbar isn't provocative in any way....

Only in Crazyland, that is.

:cuckoo:

In stories like this, it's frequently (yet, not always) true that what's left out of the story is more relevant that what's in the story. As you probably know, people lie all the time. And people are considerably more likely to lie if and when they have something to hide that could get them in big trouble. So, why is this woman going to hide in the attack when she has a gun? .

Because going hunting is very dangerous.

We have guns and my wife is supposed to lock herself in the bathroom with a gun if there is an intruder.

In stories like this, it's frequently (yet, not always) true that what's left out of the story is more relevant that what's in the story. As you probably know, people lie all the time. And people are considerably more likely to lie if and when they have something to hide that could get them in big trouble. So, why is this woman going to hide in the attack when she has a gun? Perhaps she didn't know if he was armed? Perhaps there's more to the story than what was written about (which wasn't much).

Did they know one another? Why would he break into this house if he knew someone was home since breaking in was likely to result in the occupant calling the police, at least. Did she cry out that she had a gun? (wouldn't you do so if you thought that it might make the person leave?) Wouldn't the person hear (and perhaps even see) the woman and her kids running to the attic? And if he did, why would he still break in?

Perhaps there's nothing further to the story that's significant. But it seems suspicious that there's so much about the story that defies an explanation that makes sense given the sparse details included in the story.

^^^ Typical leftist looking to blame the victim.. making up all kinds of BS to try and support his Anti-Constitutional gun grabbing position. DISGUSTING.

I haven't blamed anyone for anything. I just hope the police conduct a full investigation.

from the article -
The incident happened at a home on Henderson Ridge Lane in Loganville around 1 p.m. The woman was working in an upstairs office when she spotted a strange man outside a window, according to Walton County Sheriff Joe Chapman. He said she took her 9-year-old twins to a crawlspace before the man broke in using a crowbar.

But the man eventually found the family.
and
In February, Slater was arrested on simple battery charges, according to the Gwinnett County Sheriff's Office. He has been arrested six other times in the county since 2008.
sounds like a criminal to me...

Deputies arrested 32-year-old Atlanta resident Paul Slater in connection with the break-in. He was most recently released from jail in August.
and here is a better article on it -
Intruder shot by armed home owner | www.wsbradio.com

Joe Chapman tells WSB a woman and her nine-year-old twin boys were at their home on Henderson Lane across from Bay Creek Elementary School, when a stranger began knocking on their door Friday afternoon.

The woman called her husband who told her to take the kids and go into the crawl space.

Chapman says the suspect, Paul Slater, had apparently gone back to his car to get a crowbar to break in. When he got the crawl space, the woman who had taken along her gun, was ready for him...
The sheriff says he thinks the suspect thought he was entering an empty home and chose that home in the subdivision to burglarize because it was the only house that did not have a car in the driveway.

The revolver FAILED, Yussef, the criminal still LIVES!

The revolver saved her life and the life of her children. I'd say it did a pretty good job.

You guys may as well hang this thread up. It has acheived the opposite of what the op intended.

I didn't read anything within the article which led me to believe that the woman or her children's lives were in any danger. There was no statement included by the woman where she claimed that he either threatened them or took any provocative action.

So breaking into her home was not a provocative action??

Being obtuse willingly?

:lmao:

Yeah, breaking into a home by breaking a window with a crowbar isn't provocative in any way....

Only in Crazyland, that is.

:cuckoo:

In stories like this, it's frequently (yet, not always) true that what's left out of the story is more relevant that what's in the story. As you probably know, people lie all the time. And people are considerably more likely to lie if and when they have something to hide that could get them in big trouble. So, why is this woman going to hide in the attack when she has a gun? .

We have guns and my wife is supposed to lock herself in the bathroom with a gun if there is an intruder.
Yup. Same here. (Only I'm supposed to go in the master bedroom).

^^^ Typical leftist looking to blame the victim.. making up all kinds of BS to try and support his Anti-Constitutional gun grabbing position. DISGUSTING.

I haven't blamed anyone for anything. I just hope the police conduct a full investigation.

You were ATTEMPTING to do just that with lies and propaganda.. If you're going to have the balls to accuse a single mother of something sinister by protecting her children, HAVE THE DAMN GUTS to admit it liberal.

I haven't accused her of anything. However, apparently unlike most conservatives, I learn from past experience. Over the years, I've seen PLENTY of stories that, on first blush, look one way, and then later on, when more facts are revealed, a completely different picture emerges.

I just saw one the other day where a man called the police to say that he had heard a noise (his cat screeching) and then he heard his wife fall on the stairs. When the police arrived, she was dead, apparently from an accidental fall. Alas, other evidence at the scene led the police to believe that there was a fight and that the wife was PUSHED down the stairs by her husband.

The fact of the matter is that people make shit up all the time. There's probably not much more to this particular story, BUT it would not at all surprise me if there was.

One of the problem with YOU conservatives is that you would make shitty cops. You jump on this story because it reinforces your argument that guns can and do protect people in their homes. I don't think anyone disputes that guns CAN save people from crime. But it doesn't necessarily follow that EVERY single shooting of a person in someone else's home is automatically a case of self-defense. Lovers kill one another. People involved in criminal enterprises can have a falling out. People are murdered for insurance, or because of love triangles, or simply for revenge. Shit happens. The job of the police is to investigate what happened, not rubber stamp your political feel good story.

You guys need to read your own links before trying to use them as examples of the need for automatic or semi-automatic weapons or extended mags. The woman used a .38 revolver. Not an AR15. Not an extended mag.
typical

It is not the type of weapon used that is the key to this story, but the fact that she had access to a weapon, which saved not only her life, but the lives of her children.

You are completely clueless AND nothing but a coward.

(Jose's high pitched voice): Oh, the big bad semi-automatic. It may come and kill me....

Yup. Same here. (Only I'm supposed to go in the master bedroom).

That is plan at our house two reasons that's were the 870 is and need be another way out of the house ,we have had two break in attempts at our home, very unnerving 1/4 drive mile off a back country road if push came to shove we are on our own for at least 10-15 min at best.

That's your preference and your right. The rest of us are free to choose also. You don't get to decide how I choose to arm and defend myself and my daughter.

I never meant to sound like I was imposing. I try to stay out of the gun-control debate (and have pointed out before how impossible it would be to have control).

Took the plug out, didjya? :thup:

...plug?

I'm still trying to figure out how you survive 6 shots from a .38
Dude must be inhuman or something. I've seen a revolver take down boars in 2 or 3 shots.

A lot of it depends on the caliber.

You can get a 44 magnum too.

I have a .357; far more stopping power than a .38, a bit less than a .44 .
That said, this dude must have been fucking committed to getting into that attic to eat a full cylinder of revolver rounds.

Answer the question, Yussef.

Of course I'd still have the same opinion. It's never smart to respond to extreme situations with extreme remedies. A revolver stopped the perp. End of story.

So you think it's better to leave the criminal wounded and allow him the opportunity to harm other innocents rather than put him down like the dog he is and save us all the cost of trial and incarceration?

Nice strawman

You guys need to read your own links before trying to use them as examples of the need for automatic or semi-automatic weapons or extended mags. The woman used a .38 revolver. Not an AR15. Not an extended mag.

Had she had 15 rounds to work with the guy wouldnt have walked away. Hence the need for a higher capacity gun. Or a 44 mag.

What if he were wearing body armor? Should she then be allowed to possess armor-piercing bullets? How about grenades? Where does it stop?

Of course I'd still have the same opinion. It's never smart to respond to extreme situations with extreme remedies. A revolver stopped the perp. End of story.

So you think it's better to leave the criminal wounded and allow him the opportunity to harm other innocents rather than put him down like the dog he is and save us all the cost of trial and incarceration?

Nice strawman

Comprehension issues? It was an either/or proposition.

The revolver FAILED, Yussef, the criminal still LIVES!

The revolver saved her life and the life of her children. I'd say it did a pretty good job.

You guys may as well hang this thread up. It has acheived the opposite of what the op intended.

Good point. We don't know the full story. But let's assume she was justified in the shooting. The gun nuts here would have you believe that even though she saved the lives of herself and her children, and the perp is in the hospital and may not survive the night, it would have been better if she had an assault rifle with an extended mag.

Yeah, that little plastic piece of shit that limits you to 3 rounds in the magazine.

First thing to go on my Remington Pump 12 gauge... :D

I have a Mossberg lol.

Nice gun, wish I could afford one...

Got it with taxes one year, back in 2007. It's used, but came with an 18.5 and a 24 inch barrel.

The economy hadn't completely tanked back then. I was getting 70 hours a week between 2 jobs.

Nice strawman

Comprehension issues? It was an either/or proposition.

No, it was a strawman argument. In your world and your scenario, if I don't support high-capacity magazines, then I must have wanted the perp to survive. I said nothing of the sort. If she was legitimately defending herself, then he got what he deserved -- whether he survives or not. I don't have to wish death by a 30 round mag in order to have a sense of justice.

Forum List

Back