Woman hiding with kids shoots intruder

Mother Hiding with Kids Shoots Intruder

by John Nolte
5 Jan 2013

As I've mentioned before, while I'm a huge supporter of the Second Amendment, I'm no fan of guns and sincerely wish that owning one (or three) wasn't a necessary responsibility, especially when you have a family. Here's another reason why that's the case:

[A] woman was working in an upstairs office when she spotted a strange man outside a window, according to Walton County Sheriff Joe Chapman. He said she took her 9-year-old twins to a crawlspace before the man broke in using a crowbar.

But the man eventually found the family.

"The perpetrator opens that door. Of course, at that time he's staring at her, her two children and a .38 revolver," Chapman told Channel 2’s Kerry Kavanaugh.

The woman then shot him five times, but he survived, Chapman said. He said the woman ran out of bullets but threatened to shoot the intruder if he moved.

**snip**

Read more:
Mother Hiding with Kids Shoots Intruder

You guys need to read your own links before trying to use them as examples of the need for automatic or semi-automatic weapons or extended mags. The woman used a .38 revolver. Not an AR15. Not an extended mag.

Bingo!! You don't even realize that a double action revolver has the same basic effect as a semiautomatic pistol. Nothing is worse than a person who doesn't know the first thing he's talking about telling the rest of us that we can't defend ourselves.

I didn't tell you that you can't defend yourself, did I? The purpose of the op was to make a point that automatic weapons are better for defense than non-auto weapons. As I have stated over and over, the non-auto weapon that was used in this case was sufficient. Zooom right over your head.

What you fail to comprehend is that because five shots from a revolver was adequate in the case cited, does not mean it would be adequate in most cases. This woman did everything right, but was forced to use all of her bullets to put this intruder down. What if she had missed with a couple of those shots?

Although we use the term "automatic" to refer to weapons that automatically feed the next round, none of those weapons are automatic. They are all semi-automatic. They fire one round at each pull of the trigger.

Not 30 miles from here... and a perfect example of why larger magazines are a good thing.

6 shots, 6 hits and the sonofabitch STILL didn't die!!

Yeah she was a great shot....with her REVOLVER.

"The perpetrator opens that door. Of course, at that time he's staring at her, her two children and a .38 revolver," Chapman told Channel 2’s Kerry Kavanaugh .
You were saying something about large magazines? :lol:

If there had been two people instead of just one she would be dead.

The revolver saved her life and the life of her children. I'd say it did a pretty good job.

You guys may as well hang this thread up. It has acheived the opposite of what the op intended.

You did read the article, right?

The intruder attempted to flee in his car but crashed into a wooded area and collapsed in a nearby driveway, Chapman said.
9 more slugs and this wouldn't have happened. What if he'd run over a couple kids while "attempting to flee"?

Would you still have the same opinion?

So, everybody should have autos with extended clips in case the 6 slugs from a revolver doesn't kill a criminal on the spot?

Most pistols hold more than 10 rounds without resorting to an extended clip.

This story seems a little odd. There's a lot of relevant information missing from it. What was his motive? His criminal history? Why would he go to the attic if he was merely a burglar since most valuables would be in the living quarters? Why wouldn't he just want to get in and get out? Did he hear noises? Why would she need to shoot him five times if she had a gun and he didn't? The story is extremely short on any kind of details.

You are right, this was obviously staged by the pro gun NRA.

Idiot.

This story seems a little odd. There's a lot of relevant information missing from it. What was his motive? His criminal history? Why he would go to the attic if he was merely a burglar since most valuables would be in the living quarters? Why wouldn't he just want to get in and get out? Did he hear noises? Why would she need to shoot him five times if she had a gun and he didn't? The story is extremely short on any kind of details.

Shhh... people aren't done politicizing it yet. You're adding logic too soon.

People should learn (from experience if nothing else) that it's important for people to ask relevant questions, especially the police.

For example, I remember a story from a few years ago. A man pulled up to a driveway or a parking lot in his vehicle (a pick-up, I believe) to find his wife apparently desperately exiting a man's vehicle in a state of distress (and in a state of undress). She yelled rape. The husband quite understandably pulled out his gun (which he had a legal right to carry because he had been issued a concealed carry permit) and shot the other man, killing him in the process. It was later discovered that the man who was killed was engaged in a consensual sexual relationship with the wife who apparently panicked when she saw her husband approaching. The woman was later convicted of murder.

Let me guess, the husband, however, was found to be legally within his rights.

Shhh... people aren't done politicizing it yet. You're adding logic too soon.

People should learn (from experience if nothing else) that it's important for people to ask relevant questions, especially the police.

For example, I remember a story from a few years ago. A man pulled up to a driveway or a parking lot in his vehicle (a pick-up, I believe) to find his wife apparently desperately exiting a man's vehicle in a state of distress (and in a state of undress). She yelled rape. The husband quite understandably pulled out his gun (which he had a legal right to carry because he had been issued a concealed carry permit) and shot the other man, killing him in the process. It was later discovered that the man who was killed was engaged in a consensual sexual relationship with the wife who apparently panicked when she saw her husband approaching. The woman was later convicted of murder.

Very true. You hear stories like that quite a bit.
IMO, it's too soon for the public to know all the details just yet. I'm willing to wait for more details before I form an opinion on the matter.

More details.

The guy had a crowbar, a criminal record, and had actually been convicted for assault in the same jurisdiction. Nonetheless, I am positive this is a fake story designed to make gun rights activists look good. They probably payed the guy to say he was in the attic.

The revolver FAILED, Yussef, the criminal still LIVES!

The revolver saved her life and the life of her children. I'd say it did a pretty good job.

You guys may as well hang this thread up. It has acheived the opposite of what the op intended.

I didn't read anything within the article which led me to believe that the woman or her children's lives were in any danger. There was no statement included by the woman where she claimed that he either threatened them or took any provocative action.

You are so right. The mere fact that he broke into her house, had a crowbar in his hand, and searched the entire house until he found someone does not prove he was going to do anything evil. He probably just wanted to let them know that it was cold outside, and they should bundle up before they left the house.

Do you realize how incredibly stupid that is to type, even sarcastically?

I didn't read anything within the article which led me to believe that the woman or her children's lives were in any danger. There was no statement included by the woman where she claimed that he either threatened them or took any provocative action.
:lmao:

Yeah, breaking into a home by breaking a window with a crowbar isn't provocative in any way....

Only in Crazyland, that is.

:cuckoo:

In stories like this, it's frequently (yet, not always) true that what's left out of the story is more relevant that what's in the story. As you probably know, people lie all the time. And people are considerably more likely to lie if and when they have something to hide that could get them in big trouble. So, why is this woman going to hide in the attack when she has a gun? Perhaps she didn't know if he was armed? Perhaps there's more to the story than what was written about (which wasn't much).

Did they know one another? Why would he break into this house if he knew someone was home since breaking in was likely to result in the occupant calling the police, at least. Did she cry out that she had a gun? (wouldn't you do so if you thought that it might make the person leave?) Wouldn't the person hear (and perhaps even see) the woman and her kids running to the attic? And if he did, why would he still break in?

Perhaps there's nothing further to the story that's significant. But it seems suspicious that there's so much about the story that defies an explanation that makes sense given the sparse details included in the story.

Then we just have the idiots.

I haven't blamed anyone for anything. I just hope the police conduct a full investigation.

You were ATTEMPTING to do just that with lies and propaganda.. If you're going to have the balls to accuse a single mother of something sinister by protecting her children, HAVE THE DAMN GUTS to admit it liberal.

I haven't accused her of anything. However, apparently unlike most conservatives, I learn from past experience. Over the years, I've seen PLENTY of stories that, on first blush, look one way, and then later on, when more facts are revealed, a completely different picture emerges.

I just saw one the other day where a man called the police to say that he had heard a noise (his cat screeching) and then he heard his wife fall on the stairs. When the police arrived, she was dead, apparently from an accidental fall. Alas, other evidence at the scene led the police to believe that there was a fight and that the wife was PUSHED down the stairs by her husband.

The fact of the matter is that people make shit up all the time. There's probably not much more to this particular story, BUT it would not at all surprise me if there was.

One of the problem with YOU conservatives is that you would make shitty cops. You jump on this story because it reinforces your argument that guns can and do protect people in their homes. I don't think anyone disputes that guns CAN save people from crime. But it doesn't necessarily follow that EVERY single shooting of a person in someone else's home is automatically a case of self-defense. Lovers kill one another. People involved in criminal enterprises can have a falling out. People are murdered for insurance, or because of love triangles, or simply for revenge. Shit happens. The job of the police is to investigate what happened, not rubber stamp your political feel good story.

I prefer to assume people are telling the truth until they give me a reason not to believe them, you prefer to assume they are lying. Yet, for some reason, you believe politicians with proven records of lies if they have the right letter behind their name.

You guys need to read your own links before trying to use them as examples of the need for automatic or semi-automatic weapons or extended mags. The woman used a .38 revolver. Not an AR15. Not an extended mag.

Had she had 15 rounds to work with the guy wouldnt have walked away. Hence the need for a higher capacity gun. Or a 44 mag.

What if he were wearing body armor? Should she then be allowed to possess armor-piercing bullets? How about grenades? Where does it stop?

It stops when the woman and children are alive to talk about it.

The revolver FAILED, Yussef, the criminal still LIVES!

( emphasis added)

Are you serious? Breaking into someone's home with a crowbar means someone intends to do good things? Not to mention the article mentions he was arrested 6 times before in just one county.

They just get pumped up at the idea of legally killing someone. It's blood lust. Wouldn't surprise me if that's what motivated George Zimmerman.

You libberhoid armchair psychologists crack me up!

I pray to God that I never have to point a weapon at ANYONE, and thankfully 54 years in and I haven't had to yet. But you fucks can die and go straight to Hell if you think you're going to limit my ability to do JUST THAT should the need ever arise.

I used to live in Loganville, and it's a good damned thing this asshole didn't try to come into MY house, we'd still be mopping up the pieces of his nasty Atlanta ass.

It's amazing what a dozen dimes will do to a man coming out the barrel of a 12 gauge shotgun...

You think those Militia types running around in the woods in camouflage fatigues with their AR-15's aren't living out some kind of fantasy life?

What if they are? Last time I looked having fantasies was not illegal.

If we allowed physical harm as a form of punishment, how many shots from a .38 would be sufficient punishment for the crime of trespassing with intent to commit grand larceny?

Before you assholes get your panties in a wad....know that I have a loaded .38 stored in a convenient place in my home and would use it if someone broke into my house.

But to say that the firearm was ineffective because the idiot is still breathing is simply warped thinking.

Are you aware that burglary of a residence is considered a more serious offense than burglary of a business, especially at night? Ever wonder why?

Forum List

Back