Why is the gay community afraid of "conversion therapy"?

I have no idea what you are babbling about

He is speaking of all those well-known straight to gay conversion camps where parents of children who do act a little too straight turn them over to a bunch of sadistic quacks who quote various Oscar Wilde passages as justification for torturing them to the point they think they are really gay.

It's all over the news, you know.

He is speaking of all those well-known straight to gay conversion camps where parents of children who do act a little too straight turn them over to a bunch of sadistic quacks who quote various Oscar Wilde passages as justification for torturing them to the point they think they are really gay.

It's ALL over the GAY NEWS and MSM Yes no question.
And once again blowing WAY WAY out of proportion!
You as most LIPs seem to think if it is written it is true!
Having been in journalism classes it is an old adage that "If it bleeds it leads"!
Do you really think ALL the conversion camps ALL have a bunch of SADISTS? Really? YOU really think ALL people that want to
help people that ask for help are SADISTS???
It totally proves how successful the brainwashing of LIPs has been that you think ALL conversion camps are sadistic.
OK... using YOUR assumptions how about this picture of ALL people in the GAY community. ARE all gays like this???
Screen Shot 2015-03-21 at 8.17.35 AM.png

Conversion therapy (also known as reparative therapy) is a range of treatments that aim to change sexual orientation from homosexual to heterosexual. Such treatments have been criticized for being pseudo-scientific.
Conversion therapy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The major premise of conversion therapy advocates is that majority of homosexuals are NOT genetically pre-disposed but a learned behavior.

So if the gay community believes so strongly that there is a "I gotta be me" genetic coding that pre-disposes a person to homosexuality why are they so afraid?

So afraid that "conversion therapy aimed at turning gay kids straight will soon be illegal in California, with the state's governor declaring he hopes a new law will relegate such efforts "to the dustbin of quackery."
This bill bans non-scientific 'therapies' that have driven young people to depression and suicide," Brown tweeted. "These practices have no basis in science or medicine."
California governor OKs ban on gay conversion therapy, calling it 'quackery' - CNN.com

Why is there such angst about something that a gay MUST be?

I have NO doubt some "suicides" but HOW MANY ? Where are the facts Mr. Brown?

People are gay for two reasons:
1) they truly were born with a genetic pre-disposition to homosexuality
2) The behavior is learned.

Those are the ONLY two ways that a homosexual IS a homosexual.

I would like anyone to refute that.

Ask yourself how you'd feel about being locked up somewhere and people tried to make you gay.

Called an intervention and done ALL the time with smokers,drug users,etc. so?
Smoking and drug use is a bad habit, or an addiction. Being homosexual isn't.

Having been in journalism classes it is an old adage that "If it bleeds it leads"!
Do you really think ALL the conversion camps ALL have a bunch of SADISTS? Really? YOU really think ALL people that want to
It totally proves how successful the brainwashing of LIPs has been that you think ALL conversion camps are sadistic.
OK... using YOUR assumptions how about this picture of ALL people in the GAY community. ARE all gays like this???
View attachment 38216
Of course they aren't all sadistic. But I don't think any of them operate in any sound psychological theory, or any psychological theory at all

It isn't really understood why some people are homosexual. Thus it isn't understood that sexuality can be converted from one orientation to the other.

They may be perfectly healthy human beings going into it and come out with a complex. We just don't know.

The most sound research I've seen in why some people are homosexual, is due to epimarks in the womb. I'm not saying it's genetic, just that there is a process that occurs in the womb that may influence it. If this turns out to be the major cause of it, conversion therapy is extremely unethical.

View attachment 38216
Of course they aren't all sadistic. But I don't think any of them operate in any sound psychological theory, or any psychological theory at all

It isn't really understood why some people are homosexual. Thus it isn't understood that sexuality can be converted from one orientation to the other.

They may be perfectly healthy human beings going into it and come out with a complex. We just don't know.

The most sound research I've seen in why some people are homosexual, is due to epimarks in the womb. I'm not saying it's genetic, just that there is a process that occurs in the womb that may influence it. If this turns out to be the major cause of it, conversion therapy is extremely unethical.

So from your position you theorize nature always wins out over nurture?
This is contrary to ...
These epigenetic tags react to stimuli presented from the outside world. It adjusts specific genes in the genome to respond to humans' rapidly changing environment.
Epigenetic theories of homosexuality - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia
That sounds like learned behavior modification, i.e. NURTURE.

Based on your antagonism against help for people that don't want to be homosexual, would you be adverse to the following?

Following a late 2012 publication on possible epigenetic origins of homosexuality,[10] some people[who?] have suggested that it might be possible to alter one's sexual orientation with epigenetic therapy,[11] similarly to treatment of diabetes, cancer or schizophrenia. Prenatal hormone therapy may also be used to reduce the probability of homosexuality in females by compensating the effects of androgen overexposure.[12]

View attachment 38216

This is contrary to ...
These epigenetic tags react to stimuli presented from the outside world. It adjusts specific genes in the genome to respond to humans' rapidly changing environment.
Learned behavior in the womb? That's a bit far fetched.

Based on your antagonism against help for people that don't want to be homosexual, would you be adverse to the following?
I'm not against helping them. I just don't really think so called "therapies" that operate on no science are the way to do that.

Following a late 2012 publication on possible epigenetic origins of homosexuality,[10] some people[who?] have suggested that it might be possible to alter one's sexual orientation with epigenetic therapy,[11] similarly to treatment of diabetes, cancer or schizophrenia. Prenatal hormone therapy may also be used to reduce the probability of homosexuality in females by compensating the effects of androgen overexposure.[12]
This would have to occur while the woman is pregnant. It wouldn't do anything for people who are already born.

But I don't have a problem with parents doing something like this while they are pregnant.

View attachment 38216

This is contrary to ...

I'm not against helping them. I just don't really think so called "therapies" that operate on no science are the way to do that.

This would have to occur while the woman is pregnant. It wouldn't do anything for people who are already born.

But I don't have a problem with parents doing something like this while they are pregnant.
But "epigenetic therapy" HAS BEEN suggested... not that it is proven...but conversion therapy HAS worked.

People Can Change Our Stories of Change
Screen Shot 2015-03-22 at 7.24.57 AM.png

View attachment 38216

This is contrary to ...

But "epigenetic therapy" HAS BEEN suggested... not that it is proven...but conversion therapy HAS worked.

View attachment 38254
That's anecdotal and it doesn't really prove anything. How did they change? Did they really change, are they just trying to show that they did, so forth.

I've read about these conversion therapies, there seems to be two types. One they talk somebody who thinks they are gay out of being gay. I find it a bit dubious. And the other is called aversion. They show the person homoerotic pictures while having them drink syrup if epicac. That just makes them feel nauseated while thinking about homosexual sex.

Nothing as far as theory.

What is epigenetic therapy? Does it work in an adult?

View attachment 38216

This is contrary to ...

View attachment 38254
That's anecdotal and it doesn't really prove anything. How did they change? Did they really change, are they just trying to show that they did, so forth.

I've read about these conversion therapies, there seems to be two types. One they talk somebody who thinks they are gay out of being gay. I find it a bit dubious. And the other is called aversion. They show the person homoerotic pictures while having them drink syrup if epicac. That just makes them feel nauseated while thinking about homosexual sex.

HEY... DID YOU NOT read my further posts!!!
THESE ARE ANECDOTAL!!! NO question!
But you LIPs accepted all sorts of "anecdotals" about health care exceptions! Obama has on the stage sob stories of people supposedly abused by those evil insurance companies..ANECDOTAL!!!
Even Obama in this story pulled an "anecdotal" that wasn't TRUE!
During the 2008 campaign, Obama frequently suggested his mother had to fight with her health-insurance company for treatment of her cancer because it considered her disease to be a pre-existing condition. In one of the presidential debates with GOP rival John McCain, Obama said:

A Singular Woman: The Untold Story of Barack Obama’s mother.” Scott reviewed letters from Dunham to the CIGNA insurance company, and revealed the dispute was over disability coverage, not health insurance coverage (see pages 335-339).

Disability coverage will help replace wages lost to an illness. (Dunham received a base pay of $82,500, plus a housing allowance and a car, to work in Indonesia for Development Alternatives Inc. of Bethesda, according to Scott.) But that is different than health insurance coverage denied because of a pre-existing condition, which was a major part of the president’s health care law.

Scott writes that Dunham, who died in 1995 of uterine and ovarian cancer, had health insurance that “covered most of the costs of her medical treatment…The hospital billed her insurance company directly, leaving Ann to pay only the deductible and any uncovered expenses, which, she said, came to several hundred dollars a month.”
So OK... Obama lied about that but here are again ANECDOTAL stories about conversion therapy successes! EXCEPTIONS YES... but nevertheless you have
YOUR anecdotals and conversion therapy defenders should be able to have their own!
AGAIN I have to repeat... THESE ARE EXAMPLES of how ANECDOTALS were used to pass ACA... OK!!!
Here are ANECDOTALS why is that NOT OK???
FOLLOW THIS LINK! People Can Change Our Stories of Change

This is contrary to ...

View attachment 38254

But you LIPs accepted all sorts of "anecdotals" about health care exceptions! Obama has on the stage sob stories of people supposedly abused by those evil insurance companies..ANECDOTAL!!!
During the 2008 campaign, Obama frequently suggested his mother had to fight with her health-insurance company for treatment of her cancer because it considered her disease to be a pre-existing condition. In one of the presidential debates with GOP rival John McCain, Obama said:

A Singular Woman: The Untold Story of Barack Obama’s mother.” Scott reviewed letters from Dunham to the CIGNA insurance company, and revealed the dispute was over disability coverage, not health insurance coverage (see pages 335-339).

Disability coverage will help replace wages lost to an illness. (Dunham received a base pay of $82,500, plus a housing allowance and a car, to work in Indonesia for Development Alternatives Inc. of Bethesda, according to Scott.) But that is different than health insurance coverage denied because of a pre-existing condition, which was a major part of the president’s health care law.

Scott writes that Dunham, who died in 1995 of uterine and ovarian cancer, had health insurance that “covered most of the costs of her medical treatment…The hospital billed her insurance company directly, leaving Ann to pay only the deductible and any uncovered expenses, which, she said, came to several hundred dollars a month.”
So OK... Obama lied about that but here are again ANECDOTAL stories about conversion therapy successes! EXCEPTIONS YES... but nevertheless you have
YOUR anecdotals and conversion therapy defenders should be able to have their own!
AGAIN I have to repeat... THESE ARE EXAMPLES of how ANECDOTALS were used to pass ACA... OK!!!
I know, and I don't support Obama, I didn't vote for him. The way ACA was jammed down our throats is wrong. Therefore because you compared it to your argument you are saying your argument is wrong.

I don't really care about platitudes. You made an assumption thinking I support our president and his actions. It was a bad move on your part. I'm conservative, I have only ever voted republican.

Anyway, back to the subject.

There is anecdotal evidence that says thus kind of "therapy" is harmful, causing psychological problems that can lead to suicide. And not taking those anecdotes seriously halting all "therapy" to verify, study and confirm or disprove, is an extreme breach of ethics.

No other psychological treatment, medical or any kind of treatment for any malady, supposed or existing, is that unethical.

If all you can produce is a dozen anecdotes from people that didn't like their sexuality, it doesn't stand against the hundreds of them I have read that say this is harmful.

So, I'm sorry. "therapies" that don't take their patients well being into consideration are unethical.

This is contrary to ...

View attachment 38254

I know, and I don't support Obama, I didn't vote for him. The way ACA was jammed down our throats is wrong. Therefore because you compared it to your argument you are saying your argument is wrong.

I don't really care about platitudes. You made an assumption thinking I support our president and his actions. It was a bad move on your part. I'm conservative, I have only ever voted republican.

There is anecdotal evidence that says thus kind of "therapy" is harmful, causing psychological problems that can lead to suicide. And not taking those anecdotes seriously halting all "therapy" to verify, study and confirm or disprove, is an extreme breach of ethics.

No other psychological treatment, medical or any kind of treatment for any malady, supposed or existing, is that unethical.

If all you can produce is a dozen anecdotes from people that didn't like their sexuality, it doesn't stand against the hundreds of them I have read that say this is harmful.

So, I'm sorry. "therapies" that don't take their patients well being into consideration are unethical.

Kind of like "pre-fontal lobotomies", "electro-shock" therapy.... they no longer are used but were they "unethical"?
Also, I am sure there are 100s of gay advocate stories saying how bad conversion therapy was. No question.
But those too are anecdotal...just as my submissions which are by the way more then a dozen!

But the evidence is much more than anecdotal. In more than 50 years of research, including 48 studies we will reference here, there are data and published accounts documenting easily more than 3,000 cases of change from homosexual to heterosexual attraction, identity and functioning.
People Can Change Resources

Screen Shot 2015-03-22 at 10.32.26 PM.png

Conversion therapy (also known as reparative therapy) is a range of treatments that aim to change sexual orientation from homosexual to heterosexual. Such treatments have been criticized for being pseudo-scientific.
Conversion therapy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The major premise of conversion therapy advocates is that majority of homosexuals are NOT genetically pre-disposed but a learned behavior.

So if the gay community believes so strongly that there is a "I gotta be me" genetic coding that pre-disposes a person to homosexuality why are they so afraid?

So afraid that "conversion therapy aimed at turning gay kids straight will soon be illegal in California, with the state's governor declaring he hopes a new law will relegate such efforts "to the dustbin of quackery."
This bill bans non-scientific 'therapies' that have driven young people to depression and suicide," Brown tweeted. "These practices have no basis in science or medicine."
California governor OKs ban on gay conversion therapy, calling it 'quackery' - CNN.com

Why is there such angst about something that a gay MUST be?

I have NO doubt some "suicides" but HOW MANY ? Where are the facts Mr. Brown?

People are gay for two reasons:
1) they truly were born with a genetic pre-disposition to homosexuality
2) The behavior is learned.

Those are the ONLY two ways that a homosexual IS a homosexual.

I would like anyone to refute that.
Since Republicans keeps saying it's "learned", then it must be easy for them to "learn" to suck a d.....

Well, you know.

chef.jpg

View attachment 38254

Kind of like "pre-fontal lobotomies", "electro-shock" therapy.... they no longer are used but were they "unethical"?
Also, I am sure there are 100s of gay advocate stories saying how bad conversion therapy was. No question.
But those too are anecdotal...just as my submissions which are by the way more then a dozen!

But the evidence is much more than anecdotal. In more than 50 years of research, including 48 studies we will reference here, there are data and published accounts documenting easily more than 3,000 cases of change from homosexual to heterosexual attraction, identity and functioning.

View attachment 38293
It's strictly by luck or lie that someone changes their sexuality.

I am not interested in thousands of anecdotes.

Only legitimate science is valid.

Tell me how you know somebody is homosexual. How do you test for it?

When you show me a valid text, show me negative homosexuality and office heterosexuality in your 3000 cases. Anything less is purely anecdotal and thus not evidence.

Also whether the harm caused by this faux therapy is anecdotal or not, it is unethical to continue unless it is proven not to harm people.

View attachment 38254

View attachment 38293

When you show me a valid text, show me negative homosexuality and office heterosexuality in your 3000 cases. Anything less is purely anecdotal and thus not evidence.

Also whether the harm caused by this faux therapy is anecdotal or not, it is unethical to continue unless it is proven not to harm people.
Republicans have a history of terrible harm. Look at Iraq. They hate us for our freedom. They are ungrateful. The problem is that ignorant Republicans just "assume". Thoughts based on zero legitimate study. Not legitimate rape, but legitimate study.
It's easy to make fun of everything they say because there is no depth, no knowledge.

View attachment 38293

Republicans have a history of terrible harm. Look at Iraq. They hate us for our freedom. They are ungrateful. The problem is that ignorant Republicans just "assume". Thoughts based on zero legitimate study. Not legitimate rape, but legitimate study.
It's easy to make fun of everything they say because there is no depth, no knowledge.

YEA Right... based on the above totally fabricated comments your credibility is surely impugnable!

View attachment 38293

YEA Right... based on the above totally fabricated comments your credibility is surely impugnable!
Totally fabricated comments? Do you have examples?

View attachment 38293

Totally fabricated comments? Do you have examples?

YOU WROTE:
"Republicans have a history of terrible harm. "
Where in the hell is YOUR FACTS of "terrible harm"? NONE!

" Look at Iraq. They hate us for our freedom. "
WHO hates US for our freedom??? Iraq?? What the hell do you mean? YOU saying the "Liberation of Iraq" was bad? That saving 1.2 million children from starvation was wrong? That saving 28 million from a dictator and his sons that used drills, cut out tongues fed Iraqis to the lions literally! And
that was WRONG??
"They are ungrateful. "
Who is "ungrateful"? Quite the opposite... LIPs like you assume the government is the ONLY way to take care of ALL problems. LIPs like you
with such limited information don't want people to become independent. YOU want to be a zombie eating the flesh of the wealthy!!!
The problem is that ignorant Republicans just "assume".
Thoughts based on zero legitimate study. Not legitimate rape, but legitimate study.

Explain how your ANECDOTAL stories are deep! any different the the anecdotal stories told by people that have had successful conversion therapy.
The problem with LIPs like you you have no problem believing in phony messiah Obama... but when people in real life have had life changing
that they attribute to a Supreme Being YOU laugh at them!
Just one thought to leave you... Did Newton's law of universal gravitation exist before Newton came up with the law?
Did it exist BEFORE Newton's observation?

1. It's strictly by luck or lie that someone changes their sexuality.

2. Tell me how you know somebody is homosexual. How do you test for it?

Hi Inevitable I'm glad you're still here, I invited some friends from a humanist group to join this discussion who are equally concerned about false/harmful forced therapy and misguided psychiatric approaches.

1. I think you are talking about the fake cases then, that may be based on lies or luck.
The truly natural, effective and voluntary cases are NOT lies.
And the work it takes is clearly NOT "luck" but takes a very deep rooted spiritual process:
How To Defeat Homosexual Activists 101 A Real Education Page 4 US Message Board - Political Discussion Forum

2. RE: how do we even "test" if someone is homosexual (or transgender?)
EXACTLY
So if this cannot even be shown to be a physical "orientation"
that is why people are saying it is a BEHAVIOR which is not a protected class.
It is not PROVEN to be a set condition especially not genetic or congenital.

As for harm caused to people
a1. we can prove that the pedophile types are harmful, after they are proven to have a dangerous addiction or criminal illness condition,
a2. but that doesn't mean all are that way. so if homosexuality cannot be proven to cause harm or abuse it cannot be treated as a crime and start depriving people of liberties and equal protections of the law
b1. we can prove the fraudulent coercive/abusive types of therapy are harmful,
b2. but that doesn't meant the natural therapies cause any problems or harm since those are voluntary and not based on any "conditions" -- these are based on forgiving and letting go of all conditions so the person heals naturally

What can be proven is if someone doesn't want same sex attractions, and this is causing them personal distress, they deserve a free and equal choice to work with therapy that has no conditions either way -- neither pressuring/coercing them to accept and stay homosexual NOR pressure/coercion to change. The true healing therapy works on removing any such conditions so the person makes peace and accepts whoever they are naturally.

1. It's strictly by luck or lie that someone changes their sexuality.

2. Tell me how you know somebody is homosexual. How do you test for it?

Hi Inevitable I'm glad you're still here, I invited some friends from a humanist group to join this discussion who are equally concerned about false/harmful forced therapy and misguided psychiatric approaches.

1. I think you are talking about the fake cases then, that may be based on lies or luck.
The truly natural, effective and voluntary cases are NOT lies.
And the work it takes is clearly NOT "luck" but takes a very deep rooted spiritual process:
How To Defeat Homosexual Activists 101 A Real Education Page 4 US Message Board - Political Discussion Forum

2. RE: how do we even "test" if someone is homosexual (or transgender?)
EXACTLY
So if this cannot even be shown to be a physical "orientation"
that is why people are saying it is a BEHAVIOR which is not a protected class.
It is not PROVEN to be a set condition especially not genetic or congenital.

As for harm caused to people
a1. we can prove that the pedophile types are harmful, after they are proven to have a dangerous addiction or criminal illness condition,
a2. but that doesn't mean all are that way. so if homosexuality cannot be proven to cause harm or abuse it cannot be treated as a crime and start depriving people of liberties and equal protections of the law
b1. we can prove the fraudulent coercive/abusive types of therapy are harmful,
b2. but that doesn't meant the natural therapies cause any problems or harm since those are voluntary and not based on any "conditions" -- these are based on forgiving and letting go of all conditions so the person heals naturally

What can be proven is if someone doesn't want same sex attractions, and this is causing them personal distress, they deserve a free and equal choice to work with therapy that has no conditions either way -- neither pressuring/coercing them to accept and stay homosexual NOR pressure/coercion to change. The true healing therapy works on removing any such conditions so the person makes peace and accepts whoever they are naturally.
Agreed. Thus you must despise these faux therapies being marketed as conversion therapy.

Forum List

Back