Why Do People Believe in God?

Shogun, the definition still does not fit having religious materials shown.

that is your opinion. Now, go ahead and provide support for your opinion like I did when posting the definition of the word force

I posted the definition of the word, stupid. Did you not see the bold print?

I did. Tell me, did that nativity force you to pray to Jesus? Did you have to go to church? Did you have to confess your sins? Did you have to do anything at all? Did you even have to look at it? Did someone hold your eyes open with it in front of you? Did someone make you discuss the nativity in depth?

No, you didn't. You weren't forced to do anything. The only thing that was against your will was that the nativity was there in the first place. Clearly, you were not forced in any way, shape, or form.

Face it, you used the word incorrectly. I pointed it out and you've proceeded to act like a moron about it.

While I sure am impressed with your john rambo wannabe persona it's clear that you might want to refrain from pointing an accusatory finger at anyone over word definitions when those people are quick to actually post the definition.

I got nothing on Rambo, much as I wish otherwise.

You see, as uninteresting as your opinions are there is something to be said for dropping evidence on you like a roman lion chasing you around an arena.

Another cute analogy. Keep it up!

Much like the laugh factory of your "mall=courthouse" argument above

Except that I never made that argument. I simply used the analogy to point out the flaw in your verbiage. Have you ever studied logic or taken a debate class?

you might just find that I tend to get all heliocentric on your dogma junkie ass rather than give a moments consideration to the latest cramp making your faith based pussy bleed.

You seem to be under the impression that if you keep talking and acting bad, maybe people will believe it. Only a fool would. Face it, you used the word incorrectly, no one forced you to do anything or worship anything.

If you want to argue about whether or not it is appropriate to have the nativity there in the first place, fine, we can and I'll probably agree with you to an extent. That being said, you were wrong in your use of words. Either learn a word's definition before using it on the internet or expect to be continually corrected.

that is your opinion. Now, go ahead and provide support for your opinion like I did when posting the definition of the word force

Okay, what fits:

Someone preaches their religious views to you, you say you don't want to hear them, but they follow you, push the books into your hands, and make laws which give you the option of following their belief or break the law, that's forcing it.

What doesn't fit:

Putting up a display of a religious belief or ideal anywhere because you still have the right to ignore it, you don't have to follow it, and you can always not look at it.

I think, by your reaction to being told No, that YOU feel like a martyr on par with daniel. That's pretty obvious from the first post in which your mall analogy went the way of the Challenger shuttle.

Hell, in case you haven't realized it yet, i've been laughing at you thing entire interaction. Shit, me AND a few internet dictionaries are having a grand ole belly laugh at your example of the riffraff that finds its way onto the net.

I'd have to be suffering if I were to compare myself to a martyr. I'm definitely not suffering right now!

Tell me, what did that nativity scene force you to do? Who made you look at the nativity scene?

You do realize that I posted the definition several posts before yours... right?

Furthermore, nothing was inflicted or imposed on you relentlessly and nothing was produced with effort against your will.

Even when you try to retreat to the definition, you still showed a lack of reading comprehension.

Face it, you are wrong.

Okay, what fits:
Someone preaches their religious views to you, you say you don't want to hear them, but they follow you, push the books into your hands, and make laws which give you the option of following their belief or break the law, that's forcing it.
What doesn't fit:
Putting up a display of a religious belief or ideal anywhere because you still have the right to ignore it, you don't have to follow it, and you can always not look at it.

By using tax funded property as a conduit for christianity it is being FORCED onto the collective that pays the light bill in the courthouse. I don't have the ability to ignore the representation of tax payer funded land decorations. I am being FORCED to use my portion of a collective burden to validate christianity.

Now, if you want to play this semantics game tell me if you draw the same conclusions about the boy scouts using public lands despite having a policy against homosexuality.

that is.. if you ever decide to support your OPINION with more than MORE of your own opinons.

I don't have the ability to ignore the representation of tax payer funded land decorations. I am being FORCED to use my portion of a collective burden to validate christianity.

Let me get this straight... you can't ignore a nativity scene because you don't have the ability to? Care to rephrase that?

You aren't paying for one bit of that scene. It was privately funded. Thanks and come again.

By using tax funded property as a conduit for christianity it is being FORCED onto the collective that pays the light bill in the courthouse. I don't have the ability to ignore the representation of tax payer funded land decorations. I am being FORCED to use my portion of a collective burden to validate christianity.

Now, if you want to play this semantics game tell me if you draw the same conclusions about the boy scouts using public lands despite having a policy against homosexuality.

that is.. if you ever decide to support your OPINION with more than MORE of your own opinons.

While I don't think that they should use tax funded property for their religious displays, it is still not forcing it on you. The property is tax funded but if the display is privately funded then we are still not being forced, and most are privately funded (all are in Seattle). Boy Scouts leaders are a bunch of morons, and no they don't normally use tax funded property. That case was won, it's just because of the issue the gay community has chosen to avoid them anyway. Forcing them to be tolerant is just as wrong. Oddly South Park actually did a good job of reenacting that issue with Big Gay Al as the expelled scout troop leader, and his speech at the end was pretty much how most gay boys and men feel on the topic. "It's wrong of them to discriminate, but they are not forcing others to do this, so to force them to be tolerant is worse." The case was not fought by the gay community as much as it was fought by straight left-wingnuts who wanted to force their tolerance into a privately funded and run organization. Most scouting events occur on privately owned Mormon ranches.

I did. Tell me, did that nativity force you to pray to Jesus? Did you have to go to church? Did you have to confess your sins? Did you have to do anything at all? Did you even have to look at it? Did someone hold your eyes open with it in front of you? Did someone make you discuss the nativity in depth?

no, but I had to help pay for the land and electricity it takes to light up your little holiday validation. Do I get a choice about that? De I get to decide to opt out of the tax revenue system this month? No? Then I guess we non-xtians ARE forced to put tax money into supporting your dogma.

No, you didn't. You weren't forced to do anything. The only thing that was against your will was that the nativity was there in the first place. Clearly, you were not forced in any way, shape, or form.

Indeed, my tax input says otherwise, dogma junkie. Not that you people were ever good with math.. or science for that matter.

Face it, you used the word incorrectly. I pointed it out and you've proceeded to act like a moron about it.

I posted the definition and explained my case. Which, is more than you've been capable of thus far. Indeed, nothing says "definition of a word" quite like your baseless opinion!

:lol:

I got nothing on Rambo, much as I wish otherwise.

You got nothing on a lot of people, letalone rambo, son.

Another cute analogy. Keep it up!

I plan on it. Stick around, I'll do wonders for your self esteem.

Except that I never made that argument. I simply used the analogy to point out the flaw in your verbiage. Have you ever studied logic or taken a debate class?

Scroll up, puss. Evidence: It's whats for dinner.

You seem to be under the impression that if you keep talking and acting bad, maybe people will believe it. Only a fool would. Face it, you used the word incorrectly, no one forced you to do anything or worship anything.

Hey, again, you can repeat an accusation of using a word wrong or you can post some evidence and back it up. I'll take it by your lack of posted evidence that you'd rather cry uncle than admit that you knew how stupid your thread input has been since I posted the definition to the word Force.

If you feel intimidated then go find some kegal exercises for your backbone, dude. For every tear you shed an emo kid gets his batwings.

:eusa_angel:

If you want to argue about whether or not it is appropriate to have the nativity there in the first place, fine, we can and I'll probably agree with you to an extent. That being said, you were wrong in your use of words. Either learn a word's definition before using it on the internet or expect to be continually corrected.

No, I wasn't wrong in my use of the word Force. Again, it's fucking hilarious how all you expert motherfuckers have yet to post a single definition to the word like I have. I suggest that you figure out how unimpressive it is to act like a websters dictionary with nary the slightest fucking evidence to support your supposition.

debate class, indeed.

You do realize that I posted the definition several posts before yours... right?

Furthermore, nothing was inflicted or imposed on you relentlessly and nothing was produced with effort against your will.

Even when you try to retreat to the definition, you still showed a lack of reading comprehension.

Face it, you are wrong.

Say, did you post the entire definition that is found on Dictionary dot com or, like a giant pussy, did you chop shop yourself the definitions that YOU think applies?

force definition | Dictionary.com

force
   /fɔrs, foʊrs/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [fawrs, fohrs] Show IPA Pronunciation
noun, verb, forced, forc⋅ing.
–noun
1. physical power or strength possessed by a living being: He used all his force in opening the window.
2. strength or power exerted upon an object; physical coercion; violence: to use force to open the window; to use force on a person.
3. strength; energy; power; intensity: a personality of great force.
4. power to influence, affect, or control; efficacious power: the force of circumstances; a force for law and order.
5. Law. unlawful violence threatened or committed against persons or property.
6. persuasive power; power to convince: They felt the force of his arguments.
7. mental or moral strength: force of character.
8. might, as of a ruler or realm; strength for war.
9. Often, forces. the military or fighting strength, esp. of a nation.
10. any body of persons combined for joint action: a sales force.
11. intensity or strength of effect: the force of her acting.
12. Physics.
a. an influence on a body or system, producing or tending to produce a change in movement or in shape or other effects.
b. the intensity of such an influence. Symbol: F, f
13. any influence or agency analogous to physical force: social forces.
14. binding power, as of a contract.
15. Baseball. force play.
16. value; significance; meaning.
17. Billiards. a stroke in which the cue ball is forcibly struck directly below the center in such a manner as to cause it to stop abruptly, bound back, or roll off to one side after hitting the object ball.
–verb (used with object)
18. to compel, constrain, or oblige (oneself or someone) to do something: to force a suspect to confess.
19. to drive or propel against resistance: He forced his way through the crowd. They forced air into his lungs.
20. to bring about or effect by force.
21. to bring about of necessity or as a necessary result: to force a smile.
22. to put or impose (something or someone) forcibly on or upon a person: to force one's opinions on others.
23. to compel by force; overcome the resistance of: to force acceptance of something.
24. to obtain or draw forth by or as if by force; extort: to force a confession.
25. to enter or take by force; overpower: They forced the town after a long siege.
26. to break open (a door, lock, etc.).
27. to cause (plants, fruits, etc.) to grow or mature at an increased rate by artificial means.
28. to press, urge, or exert (an animal, person, etc.) to violent effort or to the utmost.
29. to use force upon.
30. to rape.
31. Baseball.
a. to cause (a base runner) to be put out by obliging the runner, as by a ground ball, to vacate a base and attempt to move to the next base in order to make room for another runner or the batter.
b. to cause (a base runner or run) to score, as by walking a batter with the bases full (often fol. by in).
32. Cards.
a. to compel (a player) to trump by leading a suit of which the player has no cards.
b. to compel a player to play (a particular card).
c. to compel (a player) to play so as to make known the strength of the hand.
33. Photography.
a. to develop (a print or negative) for longer than usual in order to increase density or bring out details.
b. to bring out underexposed parts of (a print or negative) by adding alkali to the developer.
34. Archaic. to give force to; strengthen; reinforce.
–verb (used without object)
35. to make one's way by force.
—Idiom
36. in force,
a. in operation; effective: This ancient rule is no longer in force.
b. in large numbers; at full strength: They attacked in force.
Origin:
1250–1300; (n.) ME < MF < VL *fortia, deriv. of L fortis strong; (v.) ME forcen < AF, OF forcer, deriv. of the n.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

:thup:

GOOD JOB, ASSHOLE!

As someone said already, it is physically impossible for Shogun to admit he's wrong on anything. I suspect his head would implode from having his ego deflated.

Let me get this straight... you can't ignore a nativity scene because you don't have the ability to? Care to rephrase that?

You aren't paying for one bit of that scene. It was privately funded. Thanks and come again.

My tax dollars can't ignore the electric bill it takes to light up your display. Neither can my court house investment ignore the favoritism it takes allow the nativity scene. Private funds do not pay the court house electric bill. As usual, the dogma junkie fails in the cognitive portion of these events.

no, but I had to help pay for the land and electricity it takes to light up your little holiday validation. Do I get a choice about that? De I get to decide to opt out of the tax revenue system this month? No? Then I guess we non-xtians ARE forced to put tax money into supporting your dogma.

Except that's not what you said. I agree that you are forced to pay taxes, of which an incredibly minute portion goes to pay for the land. However, you said this:

you dont own public display space so, yes, you are forcing your dogma at other poeple by comandeering common land for the sake of your faith. Your faith doesn't require that you put up a baby jesus every year on the courthouse lawn so why pretend that such is a ramification of your faith?

There's a difference between a person being forced to pay for a display (which has happened) versus having a dogma forced on them. Don't try to change your claim now. I agree with you that you were forced to pay a tiny portion of that building. I never said you weren't. :lol:

Indeed, my tax input says otherwise, dogma junkie. Not that you people were ever good with math.. or science for that matter.

I know it isn't particularly humble of me to say this but I will lay my IQ, SAT scores, GPA, whatever, against you any day of the week.

I posted the definition and explained my case. Which, is more than you've been capable of thus far. Indeed, nothing says "definition of a word" quite like your baseless opinion!

I'm guessing you didn't read post 74 in this thread even though you quoted it.

I plan on it. Stick around, I'll do wonders for your self esteem.

You'd have to have some credibility with me first.

Scroll up, puss. Evidence: It's whats for dinner.

Another analogy, sweet!

If you feel intimidated then go find some kegal exercises for your backbone, dude. For every tear you shed an emo kid gets his batwings.

It's Kegel. If you are going to insult someone, at least try to spell the word correctly.

No, I wasn't wrong in my use of the word Force. Again, it's fucking hilarious how all you expert motherfuckers have yet to post a single definition to the word like I have. I suggest that you figure out how unimpressive it is to act like a websters dictionary with nary the slightest fucking evidence to support your supposition.

Read post 74.

You said that the Christian dogma was being forced on people. It wasn't. End of story.

You are wrong.

While I don't think that they should use tax funded property for their religious displays, it is still not forcing it on you. The property is tax funded but if the display is privately funded then we are still not being forced, and most are privately funded (all are in Seattle). Boy Scouts leaders are a bunch of morons, and no they don't normally use tax funded property. That case was won, it's just because of the issue the gay community has chosen to avoid them anyway. Forcing them to be tolerant is just as wrong. Oddly South Park actually did a good job of reenacting that issue with Big Gay Al as the expelled scout troop leader, and his speech at the end was pretty much how most gay boys and men feel on the topic. "It's wrong of them to discriminate, but they are not forcing others to do this, so to force them to be tolerant is worse." The case was not fought by the gay community as much as it was fought by straight left-wingnuts who wanted to force their tolerance into a privately funded and run organization. Most scouting events occur on privately owned Mormon ranches.

You are mistaken. Boy scouts DO use tax funded property. That is, in fact, the entire issue behind letting boy scouts use government land despite their anti gay policies. Please, back peddle some more.

Senate Approves Boy Scout Events on Military Bases
FOXNews.com - Senate Approves Boy Scout Events on Military Bases - Politics | Republican Party | Democratic Party | Political Spectrum

and if you think that issue wasn't rallied against by the gay community then you might wanna go learn a thing or two before I come crashing down with MORE evidence.

I'd have to be suffering if I were to compare myself to a martyr. I'm definitely not suffering right now!

Tell me, what did that nativity scene force you to do? Who made you look at the nativity scene?

Well, your position on this issue is certainly suffering. Thats for damn sure.

The nativity scene forced me to pay for the electricity to light it as well as the land to put it on.

hey, maybe you can provide effort to post some more evidence that isn't chop shopped like your last venture into posting definitions!

:lol:

As someone said already, it is physically impossible for Shogun to admit he's wrong on anything. I suspect his head would implode from having his ego deflated.

well, I guess it's going to take more than your goofy fucking opinion to even scratch the surface, yo. Perhaps if you relied on evidence more than what you think applies...

The nativity scene forced me to pay for the electricity to light it as well as the land to put it on.

Your point? How is that the same as forcing Christian dogma on you?

You are really trying to equate allowing a nativity on a federally owned building with 'forcing the Christian dogma' on people?

Really? What do people now have to do differently? They don't pay any more money so the tax argument is meaningless.

well, I guess it's going to take more than your goofy fucking opinion to even scratch the surface, yo. Perhaps if you relied on evidence more than what you think applies...

And you know these scoutmasters that were expelled for being gay by the scouts personally? Hmm ... most likely not since they have never mentioned you.

Except that's not what you said. I agree that you are forced to pay taxes, of which an incredibly minute portion goes to pay for the land. However, you said this:

Indeed, and I was clear that you are trying to use a COLLECTIVELY purchased land to represent, AND FORCE, your personal dogma onto everyone else. Nothing in that quote is less accurate now than it was then.

incredibly MINUTE? oh well, hey.. since YOU think so! :lol:

There's a difference between a person being forced to pay for a display (which has happened) versus having a dogma forced on them. Don't try to change your claim now. I agree with you that you were forced to pay a tiny portion of that building. I never said you weren't. :lol:

I'm not changing a damn thing. If I put a giant fucking pentagram on your lawn because me and the homeowners association are a bunch of satan worshipers then I am FORCING the representation of satanism onto you. The same with inverted crosses on the courthouse doors. Our collective courthouse is not your personal forum to convey your fragile faith since that land represents more people than those of your personal faith.

Indeed, of COURSE you have to finally admit that, not only did I use the word Force correctly but, WE atheists are being FORCED to pay for your dogma junkie bullshit. Regardless of how minute your christian ass thinks the charge. Of COURSE, dude. Thats because I've been handing you your ass in this thread since the first post you decided to toss my way.

I know it isn't particularly humble of me to say this but I will lay my IQ, SAT scores, GPA, whatever, against you any day of the week.

Hey, after you failed to achieve 80% of my score you could always blame it on satan or something!

I'm guessing you didn't read post 74 in this thread even though you quoted it.

Indeed, and I pointed out how chop shopped your selective quote was too.

Post #111, bitch. Look for the bolded and red text.

You'd have to have some credibility with me first.

Maybe you should hold the bravado for a thread in which you didn't just admit that I was correct in the use of the word force however minute...

Another analogy, sweet!

as opposed to another example of your posted evidence! Tubular!

It's Kegel. If you are going to insult someone, at least try to spell the word correctly.

HA!
actually, I did that on purpose so you'd go on the record in correcting the name of the exercise that makes your worn out pussy ache. Way to fall right for it, dude!

Read post 74.

read post #111

You said that the Christian dogma was being forced on people. It wasn't. End of story.

Indeed it is. Your opinion is noted and summarily flushed with every other turd in the bowl of this thread.

You are wrong.

wow! CONVINCING! sheesh.. no wonder you flaky motherfuckers are horrible at science.

Forum List

Back