Why Do Democrats Oppose Voter ID?

They are absolutely free here in Texas

eq5npd.jpg

Her amendment allowed a person to sign an affidavit to verify their identity. Which is all your dear old Mother had to do to vote.

Pretty much the same thing (sign an affidavit) that would allow homeless people to vote.

Oh, the horror ....

In Texas homeless people do not need to live in a shelter to register to vote, they can be living on the street. No mailing address is required.

I believe Texas got that part right.

I don't have any problems with voter IDs - photo or otherwise. But I think they should be free and easily obtainable for all classes of citizens - even the homeless.

They are absolutely free here in Texas and I assume the same is in every state that requires them.

Seriously how many people do you know personally that does not have some form of photo ID?

by absolutely free, I suppose you mean that a Texas official and a photographer come to the applicant's home, at state expense, to take the picture and fill out the forms, additionally waiving the cost for obtaining duplicate birth certificates, marriage certificates, divorce certificates, name changes, and other necessary info.

Wow you must think minorities are not only poor but totally helpless too.

They are absolutely free here in Texas and I assume the same is in every state that requires them.

You still have to spend time and expense to go and get one.

And are they free like the roads? Ask me to tell you about a crackhead and free roads some time. You sound just like him.

Those "free" IDs cost taxpayer dollars, dipshit.

Seriously how many people do you know personally that does not have some form of photo ID?

I bet if you lived in a minority community, you would know a lot of them. If you lived in a senior community, you probably would know quite a few, too.

Just because you personally don't know any people who don't have a valid Voter ID means jack shit.

There are elderly citizens who do not have a current ID. I provided an example of a WWII veteran who was not allowed to vote because his VA card was not good enough, and he did not have any other current ID.

Hey, why don't you post some more examples of voter fraud in states that have Voter ID? BWA-HA-HA-HA!

Yes well like everything in life, you do have to put forth some effort. Things are not going be handed to you on a silver platter. If they are able to go to the polls then they are able to go get a voter ID card.

Thanks for admitting that you don't personally know anyone like that, even though the question wasn't directed at you .

Pretty much the same thing (sign an affidavit) that would allow homeless people to vote.

Oh, the horror ....

In Texas homeless people do not need to live in a shelter to register to vote, they can be living on the street. No mailing address is required.

I don't have any problems with voter IDs - photo or otherwise. But I think they should be free and easily obtainable for all classes of citizens - even the homeless.

by absolutely free, I suppose you mean that a Texas official and a photographer come to the applicant's home, at state expense, to take the picture and fill out the forms, additionally waiving the cost for obtaining duplicate birth certificates, marriage certificates, divorce certificates, name changes, and other necessary info.

I'm pointing out that ypu falsly stated absolutely free, which is why it is a poll tax.

Allow me to repeat myself - that is not the only way to verify voting qualifications. And since there are other - less restrictive ways - then disqualifying a person from voting because they are homeless is not a legitimate restriction on voting rights.

For example a person can register in one, and only one, precinct and only be allowed to vote in the precinct they register in.

Homeless man: "I usually sleep under the bridge at 57th and 14th streets.
Election official: "Ok, that's precinct 98. That is your voting precinct and you'll vote at the King Community Center on 58th. You know where that is? Now, we're going to print your voter registration/voter ID (with photo). It will take about 15 minutes."

Too many people have fought and died to secure the right to vote for all Americans for us to just piss that away for no legitimate reason.

I disagree. I think a person should EARN the right to vote. Would I make "have a home" a requirement? No, but for sure most homeless wouldn't meet my requirements.

Would love to see the criteria you would use. Would you require membership in Stormfront, or some such right/white wing club?

1) I think that forcing people to produce a picture ID will NOT eliminate voter fraud or even curtail it.

2) It will mostly serve to reduce the amount of voters who would normally vote democrat, thus giving me great pause as to the actual motivations central to this issue.

3) I believe that most dems have taken up this issue because they understand that it is being used as a tool by the right to shrink the dem voter base.
Regurgitating liberal talking points gets you no mileage here.
Voter fraud may not be large in overall numbers, but it is rampant. Reports of people claiming to have voted multiple times are available with a simple search.
We should have ZERO tolerance for voter fraud.
Voter ID laws help us to that goal.

1) I think that forcing people to produce a picture ID will NOT eliminate voter fraud or even curtail it.

2) It will mostly serve to reduce the amount of voters who would normally vote democrat, thus giving me great pause as to the actual motivations central to this issue.

3) I believe that most dems have taken up this issue because they understand that it is being used as a tool by the right to shrink the dem voter base.
BTW, official ID is readily available to anyone who wishes to obtain it. And they can do so free of charge.
Where's the problem?

Yes well like everything in life, you do have to put forth some effort.

Your rights are inalienable. You do not have to earn them. If you want to infringe on them, you must show evidence it is necessary to do so. In this, you Voter ID tards have not only utterly failed, you have actually provided proof Voter ID is ineffective. :laugh:

BTW, official ID is readily available to anyone who wishes to obtain it. And they can do so free of charge.
Where's the problem?
Really? Voter ID is made by elves for free?

"Why Do Democrats Oppose Voter ID?"

Because there's no objective, documented evidence that voter fraud by identity exists to the extent that the outcome of any election was changed.

Because voters provide identification when they register to vote, where to require voters to 'prove' who they are at every election absent evidence that a given voter is indeed attempting to commit fraud, assumes the voter is 'guilty' and must prove himself innocent. That's not how our legal system works.

And because of the above, voter ID laws manifest an undue burden to the fundamental right to vote, as the state has failed to meet its requirement to justify placing restrictions on that right, rendering voter ID laws invalid and un-Constitutional.
That's YOUR opinion.
Voter ID laws add another layer of security and integrity to the process.
Where's the problem?

I'm pointing out that ypu falsly stated absolutely free, which is why it is a poll tax.

Yes the voter ID card is absolutely free.

Your rights are inalienable. You do not have to earn them. If you want to infringe on them, you must show evidence it is necessary to do so. In this, you Voter ID tards have not only utterly failed, you have actually provided proof Voter ID is ineffective. :laugh:

No one is taking your right to vote away. But no one is responsible to get your silly ass to the voting booth but you.

BTW a person can be stripped of their voting rights ask any convicted felon.

The myth of 'voter fraud':

“Because voter fraud is essentially irrational, it is not surprising that no credible evidence suggests a voter fraud epidemic. There is no documented wave or trend of individuals voting multiple times, voting as someone else, or voting despite knowing that they are ineligible. Indeed, evidence from the microscopically scrutinized 2004 gubernatorial election in Washington State actually reveals just the opposite: though voter fraud does happen, it happens approximately 0.0009% of the time. The similarly closely-analyzed 2004 election in Ohio revealed a voter fraud rate of 0.00004%. National Weather Service data shows that Americans are struck and killed by lightning about as often.”

Policy Brief on the Truth About Voter Fraud Brennan Center for Justice

Consequently, there is no rational, factual basis to justify voter ID laws; and democrats correctly and appropriately oppose voter ID laws because they are indeed irrational and devoid of facts or evidence in support of them.

It will mostly serve to reduce the amount of voters who would normally vote democrat,

How will it do that?

Thank you for the question.

People who don't drive (like poor people) generally don't even have an ID.

Blacks and Hispanics, other minorities and disabled or homeless people would not be permitted to vote.
Continuing to regurgitate lib talking points is even less fruitful.
How about this. If voting is important enough to those who do not drive, they can make the effort to get to wherever official ID's are available, and obtain one.
What makes you believe voter ID laws apply only to minorities?
What makes you believe those groups of people require an automobile to obtain an official ID?
The narrative you libs have created is pure crap.
Tell ya what..Have a stroll through any neighborhood with section 8 housing and you'll see cars everywhere.
Take another stroll through any trailer park and see the same thing.
Cut the bullshit.
This opposition to voter ID laws is nothing but more whining from you lefties. All you people ever do is complain.

Is obtaining a driver's license then a poll tax?
Go make a ham sandwich. Jesus Christ. You libs will make the greatest of leaps to tie together the monumentally unrelated.
Yes, under provisions of voter ID laws, the state MUST make available to anyone who wishes one, an official ID and there is NO FEE for said ID.

Interesting point. However, the right to vote is not absolute. This is the point on which you libs hang your argument. That in and of itself is a FAIL

It will mostly serve to reduce the amount of voters who would normally vote democrat,

How will it do that?

Because you'll actually have to be alive to vote.

So, how many "dead people" have actually voted???
ONE is too many. Get it, genius?

Forum List

Back